Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is getting warmer, with most of our daytime temps ranging from 80-100F, but most our mornings are in the low 60s to upper 50s...but I have had more "fans" running whilst driving, pulling in garage and even when plugging in than I have had in 6 months of ownership! The past month, every time I plug in to charge....LOUD fans come on (even if the car has sat untouched overnight).

Just now, 59F, I plugged my car in to charge and the fans started running (SO LOUD). When I pull in the garage after even a short drive (outside temps 70s)....the fans are running. When I stop to talk to a neighbor whilst driving, roll the window down to chat...LOUD fans running. I even had a friend say...I thought you said you have an EV; your car is louder than my V8 Audi :-O

Anyone else have or notice the cars' fan(s) running a lot? Besides, that....car is perfect (has been since delivery).

Happy Sunday everyone!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I know it is getting warmer, with most of our daytime temps ranging from 80-100F, but most our mornings are in the low 60s to upper 50s...but I have had more "fans" running whilst driving, pulling in garage and even when plugging in than I have had in 6 months of ownership! The past month, every time I plug in to charge....LOUD fans come on (even if the car has sat untouched overnight).

Just now, 59F, I plugged my car in to charge and the fans started running (SO LOUD). When I pull in the garage after even a short drive (outside temps 70s)....the fans are running. When I stop to talk to a neighbor whilst driving, roll the window down to chat...LOUD fans running. I even had a friend say...I thought you said you have an EV; your car is louder than my V8 Audi :-O

Anyone else have or notice the cars' fan(s) running a lot? Besides, that....car is perfect (has been since delivery).

Happy Sunday everyone!
I've heard the fans running more especially when charging on my home system. I wonder if it's related to the H264 update because it's certainly more than last summer. Although noisy, I like knowing that the battery's temperature control system is working.

·
Super Moderator
1,950 Posts
Yes. My fans are running as we speak, I just plugged in; but they will calm down after a little while. I think it's normal behavior. I'm not sure what it accomplishes at mild ambient temperatures and (as I know from the OBD tool) totally fine battery temperatures. Maybe it's a hedge: "I'm going to run the fans just in case because the software needs time to figure out if it's hot or cold or whatever and MS IoT is crap so I don't trust it so I need to run the fans until the software has caught up."

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU all so much for taking the time to respond. I feel much better now, as is seems Kitty is behaving the way it should, or at least like the other kitties on this forum. I really appreciate all of you so much! Danke schön :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes. The. Fans. Are. Loud. Get over it. It is curious, however, that with all the focus on sound engineering, no one at JLR thought to utilize or engineer quieter ones - sometimes my I-Pace runs louder than adjacent ICE vehicles! Almost embarrassing. A not so silent kitty... more like a crazily panting dog in the heat.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. The. Fans. Are. Loud. Get over it. It is curious, however, that with all the focus on sound engineering, no one at JLR thought to utilize or engineer quieter ones - sometimes my I-Pace runs louder than adjacent ICE vehicles! Almost embarrassing. A not so silent kitty... more like a crazily panting dog in the heat.
Exactly. Like our neighbor told me...."your EV is louder than my V8 Audi R8" :-O

I am surprised too, that JLR did not use quieter, or more "turbine" sounding fans. The I-Pace fans are almost obnoxious!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just charged at home yesterday and the fans kicked on immediately for a short period and then tapered off. I’m so used to this behavior from my MS, I hardly pay any attention to it.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just charged at home yesterday and the fans kicked on immediately for a short period and the tapered off. I’m so used to this behavior from my MS, I hardly pay any attention to it.
I'm sure since I took delivery of my I-Pace in Dec. 2019, and we had a very "cold" So. California winter that I did not notice the fans since they rarely ran, and you are right...when you plug in to charge at home, the fans do not run long before tapering off. The fans running while charging does not really bug me at all.

It really bugs me when stopped whilst driving and they are SO loud! It's like not having an EV ;) lol

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm sure since I took delivery of my I-Pace in Dec. 2019, and we had a very "cold" So. California winter that I did not notice the fans since they rarely ran, and you are right...when you plug in to charge at home, the fans do not run long before tapering off. The fans running while charging does not really bug me at all.

It really bugs me when stopped whilst driving and they are SO loud! It's like not having an EV ;) lol
It's funny you say that. I was driving through our community yesterday on the way to run a few errands. I deliberately turned off the HVAC as I passed by some residents that were walking since the AC makes the car so noisy on the outside. It does show you how good the noise insulation is, since you're really not aware of it inside, but outside...yikes! So to avoid embarrassment, I turned off the AC until I got out of the community. I assume it's very quiet on the outside if you turn off the HVAC. 😱

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's funny you say that. I was driving through our community yesterday on the way to run a few errands. I deliberately turned off the HVAC as I passed by some residents that were walking since the AC makes the car so noisy on the outside. It does show you how good the noise insulation is, since you're really not aware of it inside, but outside...yikes! So to avoid embarrassment, I turned off the AC until I got out of the community. I assume it's very quiet on the outside if you turn off the HVAC. 😱
If you turn the HVAC off, but if it is warm outside, or the batteries are warm....the fans will still run like mad. Btw, the fans are much louder than the A/C!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ah. Yeah I was just starting out in the morning so I don’t think anything other than the AC was running. But yeah, if the batteries are being cooled by the fans, it’s ear plugs time! ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Ford Focus Electric was just like it. The fans ran a lot longer than the Jag, but it wasn't quite as noisy. Lots of comments on it on the Ford forum site in 2012 when the car came out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts