Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my I-Pace 7 months now, and I have never seen a drop of A/C condensation under the car :-O Our new Taycan has it, our G63, my i3, and every car I have owned since 1990! I think this has been brought up before, but I cannot find the post.

I can be sitting in the I-Pace with the A/C running for 15+ mins in the garage or driveway...No water under the car. This morning I parked it at our Homeowner's Assoc office, A/C running....not a drop on the parking lot's asphalt. Where does the condensation go? I have checked everywhere in the car, and the floors and mats are bone dry and the inside of my car still smells brand new....rich leather and "new car" smell still.

Also, I know it is very hot here, but battery usage seems extra high lately. It is a 1 mile round trip from our house to our Homeowner's Assoc. office. My I-Pace range dropped 5 miles and used 2% battery for this 1 mile drive. That just seems like a lot. Yesterday we drove the Taycan in 100F weather, and the range and battery did not go down by even 1 driving non-stop for 10-12 mins.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
669 Posts
Your cat has a very large bladder. :)

Mine must have a smaller one because it tinkles where all my other vehicles do - basically under middle of front of the cabin.

I do recall a poster saying his/hers left a wet spot near the back, but drain is up at the usual place.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Depends a lot on how humid the air is. Normal warm days don't seem to leave any water on my garage floor, perhaps because it mostly evaporates. But on humid days there is quite a puddle.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think moisture colllects inside the system somewhere, leading to the foul bacteria smell well documented in this forum by many users. Personally, I'd rather the cat pee in the garage than "hold it in" and create the foul odors in the cabin...
100% me too!! This is the first car I have ever had (and I've owned probably close to 50 cars, all different makes from Honda to Rolls-Royce and everything in between)...and there is never condensation under my I-Pace. We have about 50% humidity today and 100-102F, so there should be condensation under the car. Not a drop!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Took mine for a 27 mile round trip walk. It's 92F 50% humidity here at the moment. Mine is dripping a little. The water may be prevented from getting to the ground by the "skid plate" shielding. It may not drip out if the car isn't angled enough. Mine was only slowly dripping from the back edge of the front plate as the car is sloped slightly due the floor of garage with the nose at the high end. If your drive includes driving up an incline, then most of the moisture may have drained out before you get to your destination.

It is entirely possible that the drain tube(s) are clogged on some cats and that would lead to accumulation of moisture in the interior air duct.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took mine for a 27 mile round trip walk. It's 92F 50% humidity here at the moment. Mine is dripping a little. The water may be prevented from getting to the ground by the "skid plate" shielding. It may not drip out if the car isn't angled enough. Mine was only slowly dripping from the back edge of the front plate as the car is sloped slightly due the floor of garage with the nose at the high end. If your drive includes driving up an incline, then most of the moisture may have drained out before you get to your destination.

It is entirely possible that the drain tube(s) are clogged on some cats and that would lead to accumulation of moisture in the interior air duct.
Thank you. We too are at 50-52% humidity today, and the temp is right around 100F (set to be 106 this weekend). Our driveway does go up an incline, before parking in the very flat garage..but the driveway is not steep, but it does go up.

But, I used remote A/C today whilst out to lunch. I was parked in a totally flat parking lot, and my A/C (set to 72) ran for 20 mins before I got inside. I checked under the car before I got in and drove home....not a drop of A/C water. Seems not right.

I called my dealer and they said that unless you set the A/C to very cold 65F or lower, the I-Pace will not drip at all. This does not seem right, since other on the board see condensation under their cars.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
My AC set to 72F too. I guess I'll have to make photographic evidence next time unless the cat is too bashful for a picture while in the act.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you. We too are at 50-52% humidity today, and the temp is right around 100F (set to be 106 this weekend). Our driveway does go up an incline, before parking in the very flat garage..but the driveway is not steep, but it does go up.

But, I used remote A/C today whilst out to lunch. I was parked in a totally flat parking lot, and my A/C (set to 72) ran for 20 mins before I got inside. I checked under the car before I got in and drove home....not a drop of A/C water. Seems not right.

I called my dealer and they said that unless you set the A/C to very cold 65F or lower, the I-Pace will not drip at all. This does not seem right, since other on the board see condensation under their cars.
I usually set it to 70 & I don't remember seeing any condensation either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does the car recycle the water condensate into the screen wash tank or top up the batteries? 😅

Cheers Steve

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
3 Posts
I notice mine tinkles just in front of the passenger rear tire. It takes a while, when I park when I get home I don't notice anything but by the next morning I can see a puddle just in front of the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Most of the last couple of weeks humidity has been > 90% here. Presently 71F and 92% humidity.

About a week ago, there was so much humidity that it just couldn't stay up in the air anymore and fell to the ground in a pile 2.3 inches deep within an hour. RH only drops here during the day when it warms up. I should go test for tinkling now but unfortunately I have other things to do.

·
Registered
582 Posts
In 18 months of ownership I had not seen any condensate until today. I had started the preconditioning about 20 minutes before lunch. Car was on concrete with a slight tilt to the drivers side. Water was dripping out in several spots near the drivers door. Apparently the water just discharges onto the aluminum pan that covers the battery. Seems like a design oversight to me. Depending on tilt and incline the water could emerge from any corner of the vehicle. Golly knows how much water may pool up on the pan to collect dirt and cause corrosion. Maybe the pan collects a lot and it blows out when driving.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most of the last couple of weeks humidity has been > 90% here. Presently 71F and 92% humidity.

About a week ago, there was so much humidity that it just couldn't stay up in the air anymore and fell to the ground in a pile 2.3 inches deep within an hour. RH only drops here during the day when it warms up. I should go test for tinkling now but unfortunately I have other things to do.
Funny about the 2.3 inches an hour....we get those just about every day here. Funny story, my garage gets so hot in the summer that you can't stand to be in there more than 10 minutes. So this year, I decided to insulate it and air condition it. Now I go out in the morning and get in my nice cool 75 Deg car without preconditioning it!! Then I drive out of the garage and spend the next 15 minutes trying to de-fog all the glass... Sometimes you just can't win.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny about the 2.3 inches an hour....we get those just about every day here. Funny story, my garage gets so hot in the summer that you can't stand to be in there more than 10 minutes. So this year, I decided to insulate it and air condition it. Now I go out in the morning and get in my nice cool 75 Deg car without preconditioning it!! Then I drive out of the garage and spend the next 15 minutes trying to de-fog all the glass... Sometimes you just can't win.
LOL. Thanks for the smile today :)

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
The curious cat got under the electric cat today. It removed the front "splash guard" under the front. It's a fibrous material. It doesn't qualify as a skid plate. Absorbs moisture quite well.
Curious cat removed a "plastic" cover over a gap between the back of the splash guard and the front of the traction battery. Curious cat now had visibility to where AC should drain.
Curious cat looked up for visibility of any AC drains. None are readily visible. The AC appears that it can drain down on the traction battery, wiring, coolant lines and anything else under there.
This would lead to the big cat tinkling wherever it wants to depending on where that condensation runs off to.

I'm thinking of making a proper aluminum skid plate to replace that fibrous splash shield. It seems a bit odd for a vehicle shown wading through stream beds to have this up front. I grant you that nothing hangs down below other structural aluminum pieces are not in danger of damage. That splash shield will not hold up to getting hit by ice chunks falling off of cars/trucks in winter or road kill remains.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts