Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ABRP: Has anyone used the app recently? Just tried for the first time in months and the updated app seems to insist on using commercial charging sites such as EA over other (free) sites even when the alternatives are selected as preferred.

·
Registered
680 Posts
ABRP: Has anyone used the app recently? Just tried for the first time in months and the updated app seems to insist on using commercial charging sites such as EA over other (free) sites even when the alternatives are selected as preferred.
It's funny that you brought this up. A couple of days ago I used the app to plan a trip and only received EA charging stations. I didn't think much about it as there aren't a lot of choices between here and Albuquerque but now that you mention it, it is kinda weird.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's funny that you brought this up. A couple of days ago I used the app to plan a trip and only received EA charging stations. I didn't think much about it as there aren't a lot of choices between here and Albuquerque but now that you mention it, it is kinda weird.
There's a couple of free L3 chargers on one of my semi regular route thru NY on I-87 both directly on the highway. ABRP directs me off the highway to EA sites by Walmarts. Even Greenlots and EVConnect site at highway service areas are not chosen.
ABRP used to a very useful trip planner, now not too sure.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This would be bad news if ABRP is skewing routes for specific brands of chargers. EA is associated with VW and after the emissions scandal I wouldn't be surprised if they are providing funds to ABRP. No evidence, of course, but still questionable. I'll take a look at the route I had planned to determine if there are other free or cheaper options that ABRP ignored.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are those free chargers providing same charge rate as EA? I wold assume that ABRP is trying to minimize travel time as a priority.
The first of the freebies is 40miles further up the interstate from the suggested stop and directly on the interstate, while the earlier EA site is a few miles into town from the highway. This suggested charging stop is for a 28% - 58% charge.
The 2nd suggestion is an EA charge from 10% - 94%. The 2nd freebie is again ~40miles further up the interstate, and even a top up here would negate the slower portion of the charging session going up to 94%.
I have done the trip previously, and can easily reach the first freebie, with 60-70miles to spare. What annoyed me most was that other Greenlots and EV Connect chargers at interstate service stops were ignored, and suggested stops required leaving the highway and travelling into shopping mall sites.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
666 Posts
I planned a lengthy route with it. It suggested Chargepoint and EA chargers along the route. Once I had chargers to choose from, I could select one of the brands and set it as preferred. It could recalculate the route based on those chargers. It's appears to choose chargers based on how low of charge you're willing to go and the charge required to get to the next charger (or destination) and if multiple chargers are available then the amount of time to charge to at least 80% would be factored in. If time to charge is factored in, then an EA charger is the more likely chosen charger. EA chargers of 150kW or 350kW will charge an I-pace faster than a Chargepoint 50kW charger. This results in a shorter trip time. Cost didn't seem to matter.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I planned a lengthy route with it. It suggested Chargepoint and EA chargers along the route. Once I had chargers to choose from, I could select one of the brands and set it as preferred. It could recalculate the route based on those chargers. It's appears to choose chargers based on how low of charge you're willing to go and the charge required to get to the next charger (or destination) and if multiple chargers are available then the amount of time to charge to at least 80% would be factored in. If time to charge is factored in, then an EA charger is the more likely chosen charger. EA chargers of 150kW or 350kW will charge an I-pace faster than a Chargepoint 50kW charger. This results in a shorter trip time. Cost didn't seem to matter.
Perhaps rate of charging is the issue, although as we know those high charging rates are not real. I personally would prefer free 50kW vs the costly 70kW that you usually get at EA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In settings there is charger network preferences:

Click on a charger and define your preference:

See if this helps.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had a chance to reevaluate the route and the ABRP settings and it seems the issue is unrealistic energy usage set as the default. Using 3mi/kWh allowed the free chargers to be reached at 65mph. Previously, the app had reduced the max speed to 56mph to have enough range to reach the charger.
I've driven the route previously and know I can set the cruise control at 65-69mph and still make it.
This just reinforces just how complex the range/charging calculations can be, and also reinforces how useful our personal experience and intuition can be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've also noticed that energy usage for I-Pace is very pessimistic. They do say I-Pace is in Alpha stage though.
I usually change it to 350 Wh/m at 65 mph and that works pretty well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts