Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchase of a 2019 HSE, less than 100 miles, been sitting on Dallas' dealer lot for 9 or 10 months. I had them check the battery SoH per members here recommendations. The Pathfinder report shows 91% SoH. Based on what other members are reporting, seems like this is a problem for a vehicle without any real use.

Would appreciate views. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
I'm going to base my opinion on the assumption that SoH corresponds to decreased capacity, which is actually not clear but probably close enough as an estimate.

You're looking at a car with ~30,000 miles on the battery. This may be fine for you but the idea that they are selling you a new car would be preposterous. If you buy this you better get a smoking deal. They want to unload it, they need to give you a great deal. $5K dealer incentive, $10K off for the decreased battery, $5K off because noone else wants it. 20K off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. They are asking ~$64k on a car with a ~$90k MSRP. I am not fine with 30k miles reduced lifetime mileage if I understand your comment correctly.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
This is a new car with warranty, tax benefit, etc right? Seems like a good deal to me. The question is, are you ok with 200 miles range vs 220 miles range. The 'lifetime' is not really affected in a meaningful way. Over time, your range reduces, that's all, and you're starting off a bit lower than a truly new car. But you're getting a good deal for it. Remember, this is just the battery, the rest of the car is new. If you have extra cash, get a truly new one .. if you're looking for value, this sounds pretty good. What do others think?

·
Registered
452 Posts
SoH may change for the better once the car is charged on a level 2 charger and allowed to go through the balancing act. I expect this car to have spent most of its life sitting still and the data aren't reflective of a car in normal use.

Also make sure the car's software is updated to the very latest especially the battery management software.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts
This is a new car with warranty, tax benefit, etc right? Seems like a good deal to me. The question is, are you ok with 200 miles range vs 220 miles range. The 'lifetime' is not really affected in a meaningful way. Over time, your range reduces, that's all, and you're starting off a bit lower than a truly new car. But you're getting a good deal for it. Remember, this is just the battery, the rest of the car is new. If you have extra cash, get a truly new one .. if you're looking for value, this sounds pretty good. What do others think?
The question is really "does this car do what you need it to do?" If your using this around town, you'll never really notice 10% less range. If you intend driving longer distances, it will make recharging more frequent.
Continued degradation of the battery over the warranty period is a different issue. Perhaps starting from SoH @90%, within 5 years you'll be able to claim a new battery before the warranty expires.?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you . All good points . I’m not a technician but can see Ayepace’s point . This vehicle is not been driven even enough to empty the battery one time thru normal use . It’s probably discharged itself several times while sitting on the lot. I’ve seen more than one of these at dealers with zero charge on some backlot.

My choice is a more recent and local new 2020 mid year HSE loaded almost like I’d order it for maybe $11k more - and I can get rid of my trade-in at fair value - or this one well equipped, but not perfect colors shipped from Dallas. I am typically a value shopper but not sure how much chance I want to take even with warranty . I still need to see the battery report on the 2020 model

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Thank you . All good points . I’m not a technician but can see Ayepace’s point . This vehicle is not been driven even enough to empty the battery one time thru normal use . It’s probably discharged itself several times while sitting on the lot. I’ve seen more than one of these at dealers with zero charge on some backlot.

My choice is a more recent and local new 2020 mid year HSE loaded almost like I’d order it for maybe $11k more - and I can get rid of my trade-in at fair value - or this one well equipped, but not perfect colors shipped from Dallas. I am typically a value shopper but not sure how much chance I want to take even with warranty . I still need to see the battery report on the 2020 model
If it was me, I would save the $11k and buy the 2019. You may even be able to get them to drop a bit more off the top or give you an extended bumper to bumper warranty for free. I wouldn't be concerned about the car if like Qtown says it meets your needs. Unless you are intending to spend a bunch of time on road trips, the battery difference between the 2 cars is not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I
If it was me, I would save the $11k and buy the 2019. You may even be able to get them to drop a bit more off the top or give you an extended bumper to bumper warranty for free. I wouldn't be concerned about the car if like Qtown says it meets your needs. Unless you are intending to spend a bunch of time on road trips, the battery difference between the 2 cars is not that big of a deal.
I agree. Moreover, you will save on property tax (not sure if this applies to you) with 2019 vs 2020.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm considering purchase of a 2019 HSE, less than 100 miles, been sitting on Dallas' dealer lot for 9 or 10 months. I had them check the battery SoH per members here recommendations. The Pathfinder report shows 91% SoH. Based on what other members are reporting, seems like this is a problem for a vehicle without any real use.

Would appreciate views. Thank you

View attachment 3748
Hello - Congrats on you decision to get the IPace. While I'm not trying to persuade either way, I do have a few comments:

First and most important, the range on the IPace is already limited to a real time range of 160-200 miles. With this in mind, right at the Get-Go you're going to decrease that by 18-20 miles, which bring you to 140 - 180 miles. Depending on your intended use, this loss could be a real problem during winter driving where this range will be reduced further to 100 to 140 miles since cold weather can severely limit your range.

Secondly, I would recommend you look elsewhere to buy because you could buy a new 2019 for that price with covid19 discounts at most all dealers. I seen a 2019 First Edition HSE for $59,500 with 12 miles making you the first driver so there are many deals out there. Good luck with your venture!

Stay Safe Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I did let the 91% SoH vehicle pass for this very reason . I’d be interested in where you saw the vehicle you mentioned ( assuming you are not buying it). Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bob I think you made the right decision. Here's just one of many IPace's available for $49K and its a First Edition and this is just the asking price you might get this car for $42-43k. In fact, a few HSE's when though auction at under $45K, so the IPace is dropping like a rock. I seriously feel for the guys who paid full tilt.

I'm considering getting either a Taycan or perhaps a Panamera Hybrid before it hist rock bottom.

Stay Safe - Mike

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bob I think you made the right decision. Here's just one of many IPace's available for $49K and its a First Edition and this is just the asking price you might get this car for $42-43k. In fact, a few HSE's when though auction at under $45K, so the IPace is dropping like a rock. I seriously feel for the guys who paid full tilt.

I'm considering getting either a Taycan or perhaps a Panamera Hybrid before it hist rock bottom.

Stay Safe - Mike View attachment 3791
Have you driven the Taycan?
It's an unbelievable machine

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not driven the Taycan. I assume I’d pay at least 2x the price of the I Pace once it’s loaded . The few here in Houston look to start at 130k

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have not driven the Taycan. I assume I’d pay at least 2x the price of the I Pace once it’s loaded . The few here in Houston look to start at 130k
I love the Taycan and want one, but I-Pace is a bargain Compared to it
Definitely drive it

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've driven two Taycan Turbo electrics so far, the car is wonderful with a wonderful price as well. It's very very quick.

The Taycan 4S ( the one I would like) is the less expensive model which starts at around $112K with the big pack 93.4kw. You can spend $250+ on the turbo S model. While the cars are expensive, they hold their value better tan any other car offered. I interested in the Taycan 4S model, I have a friend in LA who has the Turbo and he's getting a constant 250+ miles with the air and aggressive driving.

I think I'm switching gears to the Porsche Panamera Hibrid. It's very quick - 3.6 sec 0-60 with a V6 twin turbo engine and 14.1 kw lithium battery. The Panamera is faster than the All electric Taycan 4S 3.8 sec.

With the Panamera I could use it as electric for local driving or a travel car for when we travel to Florida with the engine. While the Panamera only gets 30 miles of range, it would work for me since town is only 10 miles from my house. Another advantage of the Porsche Panamera it has a e-Charge Mode where you can re-charge the battery from the V6 engine. Super feature for Atlanta traffic where you can sit in traffic with the air on and the engine off. I have to be at a meeting in Atlanta today hopefully I'll have time to drop by the dealer.

Here's a few stock images of the Panamera

Stay Safe Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A fantastic looking vehicle ! Around Houston, the lowest price Taycans are advertised at 130k. I suspect they are not doing too much discount but who knows

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts

Stay Safe - Mike
Mike: Do I take you to mean that you are thinking of ditching your I-Pace because the bottom has supposedly fallen out of the used car market, only to spend even more ($130k) on an alternative vehicle.

Which I would hazard a guess would be worth less than $100k as a used vehicle in a year's time.

I bought mine because I enjoyed driving it, and planned on holding on to it thru the 5yr warranty and beyond. If I get 6-10yrs of fun driving for ~$70k I 'll be very happy.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts
A fantastic looking vehicle ! Around Houston, the lowest price Taycans are advertised at 130k. I suspect they are not doing too much discount but who knows
Bob O: So spend 3x as much on another vehicle. Do you expect 3x the fun or 3x the lifetime? I wouldn't touch a used I-Pace with 8k on the clock w/o a full warranty, but essentially new with an almost full warranty sounds a good deal to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts