Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Very useful (and new!) information. This post revealed that the settings icon (gears) offers a different menu depending upon what "main" feature was pressed on the lower menu (i.e., the camera settings only appears if the camera function was pressed. As a result of playing with this, I found new "settings" screens/options for phone, radio, navigation, too!

You're right about "not intuitive because there isn't a straight path to camera settings". So what I've learned is that the settings button rotates its top right options (3 always shown) based on the lower menu option selected.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Very useful (and new!) information. This post revealed that the settings icon (gears) offers a different menu depending upon what "main" feature was pressed on the lower menu (i.e., the camera settings only appears if the camera function was pressed. As a result of playing with this, I found new "settings" screens/options for phone, radio, navigation, too!

You're right about "not intuitive because there isn't a straight path to camera settings". So what I've learned is that the settings button rotates its top right options (3 always shown) based on the lower menu option selected.
Yes, the "Settings" is contextual. You guys didn't know that? ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I knew it was contextual but thought you could still get to it through the regular settings menus.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I knew it was contextual but thought you could still get to it through the regular settings menus.
I think the interface is bizarre in several areas, but gotta say, the Camera is proof drugs should be illegal.

You already have hidden camera functions in the Camera screen. Adding more to a different branch of the tree was not necessary.

So it's nested deeper than necessary. The biggest crime with today's programmers is their fantasy of writing a 65535 level tree structure that rolls back on itself, it's recursive. Oh, and the menu function should take no less than megabyte of code, not including imported graphics, just the code itself. Heck, have some subroutines you don't even call. OH!! Have some that CAN'T be called!

Reactions: epirali

·
Registered
418 Posts
Did this end up working for you McRat? I'm home tomorrow and fairly excited to check it out on my car.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My thing about the rear view mirror are the (few!) times I turn right onto a lane with fast moving traffic coming up behind me. I know my car has all the acceleration needed to get me to speed on time, but ...

I have noticed that when you are accelerating firmly, the nose rises up and the rear sits down - making it impossible to see the any traffic behind you (in case they were going faster than you expected). With the tilt of the car, the rear view mirror is pointing at the street maybe 40 feet behind you.

·
Super Moderator
1,917 Posts
Left hand on the wheel.
Right hand on the mirror adjust.
Right (lead) foot on the pedal.
Press pedal.
Adjust mirror simultaneously.
When desired speed reached
leave off pedal
adjust mirror

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes. That's the only thing you can do. I'm reminded of the quote (I'm probably butchering it from memory) from the original Gumball Rally ...

"First a rule of Italian a racing ... what's a behind you is a not important!!"

And, he rips the mirror off the windshield and tosses it.

(Apologies to Italian immigrants!)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Did this end up working for you McRat? I'm home tomorrow and fairly excited to check it out on my car.
Digital rearview - I didn't really like the system I bought but it was fairly cheap. I drove with it a day and removed it. Too much reflection from the interior of the car, not enough visibility at night.
The 360 View Settings Menu trick helps a lot. It's not as good as the Cadillac, but it works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
360° View is SUPPOSED to help parking, but for some ungodly reason they disabled it for Reverse. I hope they fix that. That was really disappointing since I expect 360 view in a luxury car and I'm used to having it. With the I-Pace, you put in N, look at the 360, reverse some, put in N, back some more, rinse and repeat while it's chirping at you. Ugh.

The I-Pace really should have had a digital rearview mirror option, again a luxury staple, or allow you to use the rear camera on the center console while driving. I bought an aftermarket one, but didn't like it.

I have had many cars with 'autoparking' features, but never bothered with them yet. I suppose I should someday especially when the 360 view is hosed.

The thing about these complaints is they would cost virtually nothing to fix. It actually cost them more time to skrew it up. Just delete the lines that check for gear position in CAMERA function. Done. Finished. Shorter code. Fixes both parking visibility and poor rear visibility while driving in under 1 manhour of labor.
The IT guy at my dealer met with me after I had been driving my iPace for a few weeks and showed me several tricks, and set up the cameras so that I get a 360 view automatically in reverse as well as the graphic with the sonar lines, plus the rear view camera with drive lines. So it can be done, but I don't recall how he did it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The IT guy at my dealer met with me after I had been driving my iPace for a few weeks and showed me several tricks, and set up the cameras so that I get a 360 view automatically in reverse as well as the graphic with the sonar lines, plus the rear view camera with drive lines. So it can be done, but I don't recall how he did it.
Yes, somebody kindly pointed out that the Settings Gears Icon is contextual. You select the Camera Icon and then the Settings Gear, and set it up.

JLR was supposed to give an orientation on the car when sold. I was never offered that. They didn't charge the car, remove the film from the HUD projector, etc.

While still not as good as other 360 view cars I've driven, it is acceptable and useful now.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, look for my posting earlier in this thread. there are pictures to go with these steps

This is not intuitive because there isn't a straight path to camera settings, so I'll step through the instructions and attach some pictures
1) With car On and in Park, select the Camera icon from the bottom infotainment buttons
2) While in Camera view, select the Settings (two gears) icon from the bottom of the infotainment system
3) You should now see an option for Camera Settings, select Camera Settings.
4) Mine will show Parking Guidance = On,, semi-auto camera view = On. Select the Default Camera View selection = List
5) Set your defaults. I have the orientation set for Portrait and 360 Camera. (your default will have None selected above the 360 camera). The picture I have associated with this has the setting off as I wanted to check toggling off and on to be certain.

Reactions: NerdUno

·
Super Moderator
1,917 Posts
Thanks, I thought it was just me. I find this thing a pig to park. Practice makes perfect, I hope.
That's funny, I feel the same way. I don't know why and I thought it was just me because I'm not a stellar parker. But there's something about the dimensions and shape of the vehicle that makes it hard. I have gotten better at it, so 'practice makes perfect' may be the right way to think about it. I think it may be the fact that we're used to parking our ICE vehicles whose dimensions are a bit different from the optimized EV shape that the iPace represents. Shorter snout, long wheelbase, somewhat vertical sides, just a bit different from what I'm used to ... go figure.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I actually think one reason this car is harder to park is that the parking lines on the camera don't match up. I've found this on most of my vehicles with a backup camera and you sort of have to adjust to realize what the yellow lines actually mean - as in how far off the curb they actually put you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, look for my posting earlier in this thread. there are pictures to go with these steps

This is not intuitive because there isn't a straight path to camera settings, so I'll step through the instructions and attach some pictures
1) With car On and in Park, select the Camera icon from the bottom infotainment buttons
2) While in Camera view, select the Settings (two gears) icon from the bottom of the infotainment system
3) You should now see an option for Camera Settings, select Camera Settings.
4) Mine will show Parking Guidance = On,, semi-auto camera view = On. Select the Default Camera View selection = List
5) Set your defaults. I have the orientation set for Portrait and 360 Camera. (your default will have None selected above the 360 camera). The picture I have associated with this has the setting off as I wanted to check toggling off and on to be certain.
Thanks so much for this, I spent hours on the manual and playing with settings and never saw this one. Love the backup camera + 360 view.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dear "dtgsrq" - so in light of your question regarding soliciting driver feedback...there was an outreach a year+ ago from JLR to ask for drivers/owners to partiicpate in a series of feedback sessions. I enthusiastically agreed to partiicpate -- and wish I never had. I've been bombarded with an ever annoying set of touchy/feely "asks" ... several of us lost it this past week when the question asked us to also upload a video of our experience with JLR. Do yourself a favor and if you're asked, politely decline!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts