Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an EV and have been tempted by the I-pace. I have taken 3 different test drives and each time, I am finding horrendous efficiency. Flat roads, mix of highway(2 exits there and back) and surface streets, 50 degree day, high regen, average driving style, some ac for testing purposes, eco mode. Today, I traveled 18 real miles and the car indicated 40 miles used. Is this how it will be as an owner? Does 234 miles really mean 105 miles(optimistic)? I didn't even drive it that hard. I had already installed the charging device in my garage and now I have to say that I am bummed. Looking for something that I may have missed.

·
Super Moderator
1,556 Posts
There are two explanations for your experience:

1. All cars you drove have bad batteries
2. The batteries are fine but the Guess-o-Meter (GoM) that shows you the predicted miles is off.

Most likely 2.
How would you check? Note the percentage charge (State of Charge, or SoC) from the EV panel at the start and at the end of the drive. Drive more than 18 miles, try 40 or so.

Then: divide the number of miles traveled by the difference in SoC percentage. For example, 40 miles / 20% = 200 miles. If you drive normally with no cabin heating you should get 200-220 miles depending on terrain, temperature, etc.

·
Registered
108 Posts
To add to sciencegeek's ideas;

If you start a new trip on the ciomputer, you will get the KwH/100 miles for your trip. I believe that number is based on an actual capacity reading and not an algorithm. The odd way you reset this is by holding down the BUTTON at the end of the right (windshield) stalk.

So you can measure efficiency using the KwH/100 vs a normal capacity of around 80 KwH. Ie.. 40 KwH/100 miles = 200 miles range based on that trips conditions.
Take into account that number will be about 2 or 3 KwH higher for trips under 30-40 miles when the car wasn't preconditioned, due to the energy inefficiency of startup. Ie.. a short trip showing 43 KwH/100 would be more like 40 KwH/100 if the car was preconditioned and/or over more miles with time for the efficiency to even out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I find that the GOM starts off pessimistic and the range drops a lot fr the first unit, then settles down. I found myself re-thinking my planned charge stops at the start, only to have it settle down later.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I am comparing the "guess-o-meter" to my 2019 BMW i3S. The BMW would take awhile for the range to go down and coasting and braking added a shocking amount to the range.

I notice in my new I-Pace that the range goes down much faster than my i3, but I understand the I-Pace is much bigger and much heavier than the i3. When I got in my I-Pace this morning, the range with a 100% charge said 260. Very quickly it was down to 250-ish and then 240-ish and then in the low 230s. A very short drive today, and it is down to 211 now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also just to really beat the dead horse.. ignore the GoM. It's very bad. Get used to looking at SOC % (available in "My EV") and the KwH/100 in the trip computer.

Most people find that 2 miles per SoC % is fairly accurate, definitely more so than the GoM ever will be.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I think most of us would really love to ignore the GoM, but the **** gauge is so prominent in the instrument cluster, LOL. The programmable instruments should really allow the SOC% to be displayed instead of "range" if desired.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am in the market for an EV and have been tempted by the I-pace. I have taken 3 different test drives and each time, I am finding horrendous efficiency. Flat roads, mix of highway(2 exits there and back) and surface streets, 50 degree day, high regen, average driving style, some ac for testing purposes, eco mode. Today, I traveled 18 real miles and the car indicated 40 miles used. Is this how it will be as an owner? Does 234 miles really mean 105 miles(optimistic)? I didn't even drive it that hard. I had already installed the charging device in my garage and now I have to say that I am bummed. Looking for something that I may have missed.
i live in south florida. have had the car approximately 8 months. use the ac all the time, most of my trips are short (under 10 miles). i’m seeing between 205 and 220 miles on a full charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. I really have to see the efficiency with my own eyes before I buy, but haven't had luck. I am going to try to take the car home for an overnight test drive to test this. I see the difference between GOM and actual SOC. GOM is predictive and could be all over the place. One of the cars that I drove was used with 2100 miles on it. To be fair, its update was 18B. I am finding what seems to be a lot of low mileage I-paces which is another thing that is throwing me off.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i live in south florida. have had the car approximately 8 months. use the ac all the time, most of my trips are short (under 10 miles). i’m seeing between 205 and 220 miles on a full charge.
I also live in SoFla, and the rest matches my situation, including the range range.

Extended high speed trips at highway plus speeds-- 80s to 90s-- can reduce it to 180 to 190 (again in flat Florida, ac running, av system on).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I really have to see the efficiency with my own eyes before I buy, but haven't had luck. I am going to try to take the car home for an overnight test drive to test this. I see the difference between GOM and actual SOC. GOM is predictive and could be all over the place. One of the cars that I drove was used with 2100 miles on it. To be fair, its update was 18B. I am finding what seems to be a lot of low mileage I-paces which is another thing that is throwing me off.
I can vouch for this consistency. Been driving the I-PACE since January 2019. Comfort mode, high-regen settings:

(20" wheels):
40-45 kWh/100 mile in my 25 mile morning commute from Long Beach to DTLA (LA freeway traffic), pre-conditioned
30-35 kWh/100 mile going home (LA Freeway traffic), not pre-conditioned

(when I had 18" wheels):
35-40 kWh/100 mile in my 25 mile morning commute from Long Beach to DTLA (LA freeway traffic), pre-conditioned
28-32 kWh/100 miles going home (LA Freeway traffic), not pre-conditioned

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Also bear in mind that the test car of the OP has probably had a lot of different drivers. That could make it even more confused in its guessing. It adapts to the driver, climate conditions, recent driving conditions, etc.
So the car has probably had drivers mashing the go pedal to experience the acceleration, short test trips, dealer courtesy drives, etc.

And obviously the software is not up-to-date as they'll hold off doing that until delivery (or later) to a buyer. There's been a few updates for instrument cluster (includes the guess meter) and power management since the car was produced.

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Please try to ignore the distance to empty gauge, it is very likely not showing anything which approaches reality. Instead simply look at your actual consumption. The car keeps track of consumption in real time, just like almost every car on the road, so no need to guess. Of course instead of miles per gallon it will display as miles per kWh or kWh per 100 miles. On the My EV screen it will show you the current trip, the last 3 previous trips, the most efficient trip and the historical Trip A and Trip B. That screen will also show your driving style and you can find a graph of relative energy consumption of accessories such as AC, heated seats, heated windscreen, etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The only figure I rely on is the kWhrs used to travel 100 kms. If it is around 21, I'm happy because that means a range of 400 kms. (84.7 usable KW in the battery divided by 21 = 400+ kms.

Or if you prefer, 33.6 kWhrs per 100 miles = range of 250 miles.

The GOM looks at the past to predict the future. The kWhrs per km or mile is real, actual, consumption.

Just for the record, in a temperature -12.5C (9.5F) a few days ago, I was getting 26 kWhrs per 100 kms which equals a range of 325 kms or 200 miles. I'm glad that cold snap is now over!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The only figure I rely on is the kWhrs used to travel 100 kms. If it is around 21, I'm happy because that means a range of 400 kms. (84.7 usable KW in the battery divided by 21 = 400+ kms.

Or if you prefer, 33.6 kWhrs per 100 miles = range of 250 miles.

The GOM looks at the past to predict the future. The kWhrs per km or mile is real, actual, consumption.

Just for the record, in a temperature -12.5C (9.5F) a few days ago, I was getting 26 kWhrs per 100 kms which equals a range of 325 kms or 200 miles. I'm glad that cold snap is now over!
21kWh/100km? Were you being towed? I am having trouble getting below 30 on the highway. I think I never got better than 23 and am hovering around 30, but I’ll admit to driving ~120km so not so efficient.

Cheers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ive had values between 22 and 29 kWh/100 km on my 30k commute. Had the car only from Nov so pretty cold. I dont precondition. Tires have been either summer 22s or winter 18s do not ideal. Efficiency should be better in summer.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I also live in SoFla, and the rest matches my situation, including the range range.

Extended high speed trips at highway plus speeds-- 80s to 90s-- can reduce it to 180 to 190 (again in flat Florida, ac running, av system on).
Another South FL owner - 1 year to the day! I’ve had the unique pleasure of putting 15k mi on 3 different cars. All had identical range consistent with above posts. Worst case in the 180-190 range when driving 80mph with heavy AC. Best case 240s in city driving. Efficiency was never a concern or criteria for me, nor the majority of owners, only predictable range. Unfortunately the primary ‘predictor’ on the I-Pace is unreliable. I haven’t had the latest update that (supposedly) improves it, but I rely mostly on the ‘fuel gauge’ graphic and estimate 50mi per quarter tank.

·
Registered
37 Posts

The reality is that almost everyone who owns an iPace for any length of time will tell you that the GOM is to be ignored or at the very least, taken with a large helping of salt. The real position is that if you drive like Lewis Hamilton or Emmerson Fittipaldi or any race driver of your choice like you are competing in a Formula 1 race or Indy 500 or whatever, your range will suck. However, based on literally hundreds of posts on range on both this and the UK site, normal driving style, in normal weather, with some ac as required, will produce range from round about 200 miles at worst up to about 250 miles or more if you are super careful. You may want to see this with your own eyes but take it from me, that's the position currently with an iPace. There may be a slight improvement if the car has had the H124 software update but the difference isn't going to be huge. If the experience of 100's of iPace owners over the last 15 months is not good enough for you, don't waste your time with any more test drives, just move on. Otherwise go out and enjoy one of the best drives of an EV you will find in the current marketplace, albeit one with crappy infotainment software.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After the H264 update (Australia), the GOM has become accurate and I'm encouraged by the range. At reasonable highway speeds (100 KPH) and a bit of around town, I'm seeing 21 KWH / 100KM. Outside temp was 27C and inside aircon set to 24C. The GOM and remaining battery are in sync. It appears that JLR has got it right. I am now fully expecting around 400 KM around town and 370KM on the highway.

BTW, I have no issues with infotainment, CarPlay and Nav systems. Do yourself a favour and buy an Ipace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts