Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Live in Sweden. And just bought a I-pace 2019.
Also bought a 3-phase wall mounted charger. Couldn't understan why it did not charge at 11kW so I called Jaguar. They sad that the 3-phase onboard charger came 2020 and that the 2019 only has a 1-phase charger...
(The fuses in Sweden is normally 20-25A / phase in to the house.)

Dose anyone knows if there is a possibility to replace the onboard 1-phase charger to a 3-phase charger?
Called Jaguar and they have newer heard of that and was not interested in looking it up.

Regards // Marcus

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are many ways to convert your 3-phase power to single phase for one outlet. That would be much cheaper and safer than trying to swap out the internal charger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the question is can you swap out the Jag internal charger, I don't think they would do that and if they did it would be costly. Buying a home DC charger but that's expensive too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi!
Also bought a 3-phase wall mounted charger. Couldn't understan why it did not charge at 11kW so I called Jaguar. They sad that the 3-phase onboard charger came 2020 and that the 2019 only has a 1-phase charger...

Dose anyone knows if there is a possibility to replace the onboard 1-phase charger to a 3-phase charger?
Called Jaguar and they have newer heard of that and was not interested in looking it up.

Regards // Marcus
Marcus, I'm fairly certain your 2019 model uses the 7kW onboard charger. I can't imagine a dealer figuring out a way to retrofit to a 2020 European version 11 kW onboard charger without violating their terms or warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi!

Regards // Marcus
Hi Marcus,
The 2019 will only charge at maximum 7kw since that’s the capacity of the installed onboard charger. According to JLR Norway, it is not possible to replace the charger with the new 11kw, quote from Teknisk Ukeblad (TU) article about the 2021 edition (Being a Swede, I assume you are able to read some Norwegian 😊)Jaguar I-Pace får raskere hjemmelading

“Jaguar forteller oss at det ikke vil være mulig å oppgradere eksisterende utgaver av I-Pace med den nye trefase ombordladeren.”

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback and thanks @øappelgren for that info.
Sadly I will be forced to charge the car almost every day because of that. Or upgrade the incoming fuses to the house.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and thanks @øappelgren for that info.
Sadly I will be forced to charge the car almost every day because of that. Or upgrade the incoming fuses to the house.
Some companies are beginning to sell single phase 15kw or 20kw DC fast charger for home or 24kw if you have 3 phase . They are still a bit expensive but I am sure the price will come down. Perhaps you may want to look at that.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
502 Posts
...Sadly I will be forced to charge the car almost every day because of that. Or upgrade the incoming fuses to the house.
Not sure I understand that statement. I find an overnight charge on a L2 charger sufficient to fully charge the I-Pace. If you are needing to charge every night, 7kW vs 11kW should not make a difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi!

Regards // Marcus
What don't you try to see if what you have isn't sufficient. I am quite happy w 1kW

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with Qtown and Gelbkreutz. With my L2 charger, I can go from nearly empty to fully charged in 6 to 9 hours. So my typical time to full charge is well less than 6 hours since I don't drive it until depleted every day. Therefore, I don't bother to plug in every day. My big charger is a 240V 32A direct wired Chargepoint (USA split phase: 40A breaker * 80% safe draw = 32A * 120V per leg x 2 = 7680 VA which translates to some smaller number for watts due to power factor and drop from power company).

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
10 hours of L2 charging gives you ca. 81 kWh
JLR inflates the kWh figure by about 5%, so that's about 85 kWh according to Wattcat, same as full charge from 0% to 100% for most people (battery capacity varies somewhat).
That's if the car isn't throttling the charge rate of 7.2kW, which it does during high temps.
Soooo ... 6 hours of ideal L2 charging gets you from 40% to 100%; 9 hours gets you from 10% to 100%

·
Registered
114 Posts
With 26 miles left on range, my I-Pace used 90kW (exactly!) of electricity from my metered supply to get fully charged. It took over 10 hours to shut off the charger supply brk.(not sure how much longer). The car's rectifier eats up that electricity before it gets to the battery @6.6kW/hr out of the rectifier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts