Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my I-Pace on a 270 mile round trip almost exclusively on highways. The only 50 kW+ fast charger on the route was an EA station 72 miles from my house. Because the destination was about 135 miles away and the trip was mostly highway, I didn't think I could make it to the destination and back to the EA station (~200 miles) without running out of juice. It was 90+ degrees F and sunny with little wind. I had the AC set to 72F at fan speed 2 and used the driver seat cooler at level 1. The whole trip was done in Eco mode except for the small parts where I kept forgetting to set the mode back to Eco after stopping.

Leg 1: 72.3 miles, avg speed 65 mph, 424 Wh/mile, start SOC 100%, end SOC 63%

Charge Session 1: 00:25:25, 23 kWh, cost $16.84, start SOC 63%, end SOC 90%, peak charge rate 57 kW, avg charge rate 34.5 kW, $0.73/kWh

Leg 2: 67.2 miles, avg speed 35.0 mph, 397 Wh/mile, start SOC 90%
NOTE: There was a major accident on the highway. Stop and go traffic for at least 30 minutes. The vast majority of this leg was at 70+ mph.

Leg 3: 59.3 miles, avg speed 58 mph, 403 Wh/mile, end SOC 25%

Charging Session 2: 00:19:13, 30 kWh, cost $13.00, start SOC 25%, end SOC 61%, peak charge rate 102 kW, avg charge rate 93.7 kW, $0.43/kWh

Leg 4: 71.7 miles, avg speed 70.0 mph, 428 Wh/mile, start SOC 61%, end SOC 23%

Takeaways:
  • The I-Pace is rather thirsty on the highway. The car cannot do 200 miles of highway on a single charge even in Eco mode with latest updates. I would have run out of juice if I didn't top up on the outbound leg.
  • There aren't enough charge stations around where I live. This trip could have easily been done with one charging stop if there was a charger closer to the destination.
  • If EA didn't exist, this trip would not have been possible. I had no problems activating the charger using the EA app.
  • I do not pay for an EA subscription. Subscription costs $4/month. Paying the $4 before I left would have saved me $5.15 on this trip over the $4 initial out of pocket cost.
  • EA pricing model is quite ridiculous.
  • I had never been to the destination before and I liked using the TouchPro Duo Nav with HUD hints more than I expected to.
  • I-Pace can do long highway trips with up front planning and waiting around. An ICE car requires neither of those things. No regrets.
  • High regen mode is excellent in stop and go traffic.
  • I stayed too long at both charge sessions. I could have gotten away with about 10% less SOC each time and still had plenty of margin. My calculations indicated this, but I didn't trust the car enough to only have 10-15% margin. Next time I might trust the car a little more and reduce the margin. I'd like to see what the peak charge rate is with lower initial SOC.
  • I never once looked at the GoM. I trust it so little I didn't even consider what it was saying at any point in this trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been doing town and US Interstae travel to test actual miles range on road.

The car will get close to 240 miles in town. Speed kept 55mph or less. AC set at 75F degrees, fan speed 2, radio on, phone being charged. ECO mode.

On US Interstate range 200 to 220 actual road miles. Speed 70mph, AC at 75F degrees, fan speed 2, radio on, phone being charged. ECO mode.

Beginning SOC is 100% with range showing anywhere from 244 to 264. Most of time range is 254. This is from home charger. I have no idea why charge range fluctuates like this.
The I Pace is a beautiful car. Just want actual Interstate miles range to be 280 to 300.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've made a small handful of road trips in the 250-350 mile range.

For me, what works best is to 1) leave home with 100% SOC, 2) charge when convenient, 3) only fill up with what I need to get to next charge, don't overstay my charge just to get to some arbitrary SOC like 80%, 90%.

If I have the option, let the SOC run down under 20% in order to maximize charging rates and shorten charging sessions.

It means I make more stops, but only charge for a few minutes, and my average touring speed can be higher. Thankfully, where I live, there is a reasonable and improving charging infrastructure and cost is nowhere near as usary as Electrify America/Canada

Love the car!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On US Interstate range 200 to 220 actual road miles. Speed 70mph, AC at 75F degrees, fan speed 2, radio on, phone being charged. ECO mode.
My observations indicate close to 240 mile range with city driving, but I get only around 175 miles on the highway. Maybe my foot is heavier than yours, maybe my car wants to go 90 mph more than yours does, or maybe all the bugs I pick up on the front end on FL highways ruin my aerodynamics. The car certainly has room to improve efficiency at 70+ mph. There are enough 50+ kW chargers along I-95 in FL to go from the keys to GA. Charging at 100 kW isn't that much of an inconvenience. The situation will only improve over time as more charge stations come online.

I concur your strategy is the right one John Eh.

After a year and a half, I'm still loving the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently took my I-Pace on a 270 mile round trip almost exclusively on highways. The only 50 kW+ fast charger on the route was an EA station 72 miles from my house. Because the destination was about 135 miles away and the trip was mostly highway, I didn't think I could make it to the destination and back to the EA station (~200 miles) without running out of juice. It was 90+ degrees F and sunny with little wind. I had the AC set to 72F at fan speed 2 and used the driver seat cooler at level 1. The whole trip was done in Eco mode except for the small parts where I kept forgetting to set the mode back to Eco after stopping.

Leg 1: 72.3 miles, avg speed 65 mph, 424 Wh/mile, start SOC 100%, end SOC 63%

Charge Session 1: 00:25:25, 23 kWh, cost $16.84, start SOC 63%, end SOC 90%, peak charge rate 57 kW, avg charge rate 34.5 kW, $0.73/kWh

Leg 2: 67.2 miles, avg speed 35.0 mph, 397 Wh/mile, start SOC 90%
NOTE: There was a major accident on the highway. Stop and go traffic for at least 30 minutes. The vast majority of this leg was at 70+ mph.

Leg 3: 59.3 miles, avg speed 58 mph, 403 Wh/mile, end SOC 25%

Charging Session 2: 00:19:13, 30 kWh, cost $13.00, start SOC 25%, end SOC 61%, peak charge rate 102 kW, avg charge rate 93.7 kW, $0.43/kWh

Leg 4: 71.7 miles, avg speed 70.0 mph, 428 Wh/mile, start SOC 61%, end SOC 23%

Takeaways:
  • The I-Pace is rather thirsty on the highway. The car cannot do 200 miles of highway on a single charge even in Eco mode with latest updates. I would have run out of juice if I didn't top up on the outbound leg.
  • There aren't enough charge stations around where I live. This trip could have easily been done with one charging stop if there was a charger closer to the destination.
  • If EA didn't exist, this trip would not have been possible. I had no problems activating the charger using the EA app.
  • I do not pay for an EA subscription. Subscription costs $4/month. Paying the $4 before I left would have saved me $5.15 on this trip over the $4 initial out of pocket cost.
  • EA pricing model is quite ridiculous.
  • I had never been to the destination before and I liked using the TouchPro Duo Nav with HUD hints more than I expected to.
  • I-Pace can do long highway trips with up front planning and waiting around. An ICE car requires neither of those things. No regrets.
  • High regen mode is excellent in stop and go traffic.
  • I stayed too long at both charge sessions. I could have gotten away with about 10% less SOC each time and still had plenty of margin. My calculations indicated this, but I didn't trust the car enough to only have 10-15% margin. Next time I might trust the car a little more and reduce the margin. I'd like to see what the peak charge rate is with lower initial SOC.
  • I never once looked at the GoM. I trust it so little I didn't even consider what it was saying at any point in this trip.
Hello,
We just got an I pace today and leave in an area where we do not have a lot of ev charging stations.
The dealership gave us only one home cable charger.
we ordered a 220 home charger, but in case we travel around, what x tea cables should we get and what are your experiences with charging stations and what is the best app to use in order to find the stations.
thank you so much For any tips you could provide us with. : )

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Well Congratulations Mumulala and Welcome!
Please refer to this primer for starters:
Then familiarize yourself with PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Please let us know how things go!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wish one of these apps had CarPlay integration. I've got PlugShare, ChargePoint and EVgo on my iPhone and none of them show up in CarPlay.

Reactions: Deutsch100
1 - 7 of 7 Posts