Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, I live in the US (Ohio) and charge at moment with 120v charger that came with car. My 200 amp service panel is full. We also plan on moving soon < 12 months, hopefully. Is there a cable recommensed to plug into Dryer Plug to get a faster charge? The Dryer outlet is literally 15 feet as crow flies to car.

any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
FYI, I live in the US (Ohio) and charge at moment with 120v charger that came with car. My 200 amp service panel is full. We also plan on moving soon < 12 months, hopefully. Is there a cable recommensed to plug into Dryer Plug to get a faster charge? The Dryer outlet is literally 15 feet as crow flies to car.

any recommendations?
You need an L2 charger and the proper plug for whatever socket your dryer uses. Then wire the L2 charger into the plug and plug. A lot of L2 chargers come with a bit of tail already attached to go into a plug then socket, so you should be able to find one in the 20-40 amp range on Amazon and similar.

The most basic I can find. A bit slow, but faster than L1 and will get the job done.

·
Registered
2020 S
141 Posts
If you've got a 30A circuit then the best you can do is a 24A charger because breakers are rated to only handle 80% of their rated amperage continuously. Figure out the receptacle type - it's probably a 14-30 or maybe a 10-30 if it's old, and it could even be a 6-30 if it was actually installed for an arc welder. Then google 24A charger with whatever kind of receptacle you have. If you find something larger than 24A (I did while searching) don't get it. It probably won't burn your house down, but you'll have problems with it tripping.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you post a picture of your outlet we should be able to tell you what kind of outlet you have.

most dryer outlets are rated 30A it seems. When you plug in you will get 80% of that 24A/240V which comes out to about 5.7kWh.You should be fine unless you drive quite a bit and have restrictions on charging.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,938 Posts
You need a level 2 charger that can be adjusted for the source amps available. Juicebox, ChargePoint, etc., can do this. There are converter connectors available for any mismatch of plug. I did this initially with my Juicebox plugged into old 30A 3 prong dryer outlet until I got a dedicated 50A outlet in my garage.

I suggest getting one with a 14-50P plug. When you move, have a 240v 14-50R outlet installed in the garage. If your current dryer outlet is not a 14-50R, use a converter cable.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need an L2 charger and the proper plug for whatever socket your dryer uses. Then wire the L2 charger into the plug and plug. A lot of L2 chargers come with a bit of tail already attached to go into a plug then socket, so you should be able to find one in the 20-40 amp range on Amazon and similar.

The most basic I can find. A bit slow, but faster than L1 and will get the job done.
Thank you. I was convinced it was required to buy one of those ChargePoint $600+ boxes. Dummy me, forgot to mention the dryer outlet = 4 prong. Swapped it out a few yets ago when nee dryer required it.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need a level 2 charger that can be adjusted for the source amps available. Juicebox, ChargePoint, etc., can do this. There are converter connectors available for any mismatch of plug. I did this initially with my Juicebox plugged into old 30A 3 prong dryer outlet until I got a dedicated 50A outlet in my garage.

I suggest getting one with a 14-50P plug. When you move, have a 240v 14-50R outlet installed in the garage. If your current dryer outlet is not a 14-50R, use a converter cable.
Thank you. Always good feedback!

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you post a picture of your outlet we should be able to tell you what kind of outlet you have.

most dryer outlets are rated 30A it seems. When you plug in you will get 80% of that 24A/240V which comes out to about 5.7kWh.You should be fine unless you drive quite a bit and have restrictions on charging.
silly me. didn't mention the outlet. Its a 4 prong since recent new dryer required it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Its a 4 prong since recent new dryer required it.
It's a 14-30 then. There are plenty of portable level 2 EVSEs that will plug right in to that outlet. A lot of people like the Tesla one because it's inexpensive ($200), compact, reliable, and it has replaceable plug pigtails that allow it to use a wide variety of outlets, so it could be "upgraded" to a faster 50-amp 14-50 plug when you move. You'll need to separately purchase the 14-30 adapter for about $50 and you would need an adapter for another $150, so about $400 all-in for the Tesla one. An inexpensive J1772 option would be something like this: 16 Amp EV Charging Station with Cable Wrap for convenient storage ($350)

·
Registered
207 Posts
silly me. didn't mention the outlet. Its a 4 prong since recent new dryer required it.
I got a very inexpensive one a few weeks ago, Orion Motor L1/L2 charger, so far worked find for me. Here is my review and the link on Amazon (currently $219.99 with coupon).

Inexpensive in price but expensive in features
This is the least expensive Level 2 32A charger in the current US market. It also comes with great features that you may not find from other more expansive chargers. For example, it is adjustable in both amps(10, 16, 20,24 and 32A) and volts (110-250) so it is both a level 1 and level 2 charger. I have not tried 110v as it needs an adapter and I am not sure how it can properly handle 24A and 32A but, in 240v, adjustable amps worked great for me. Running at 32A, I afraid that my breaker got little too hot so I adjusted it to 24A and it worked great. It is also IP67 rated so it is supposedly an indoor/outdoor charger. I tried another adjustable charger, Lectron 240V-32 Amp, Level 2 EV Charger, which got great reviews on Amazon. Since there is little reviews on this charger, I was little hesitate but at the end, I kept the Orion charger. Here is why:
1) While both are adjustable in amps, Lectron can do 10,13, 16, then jumps to 32A. Orion's 10,16, 20, 24, and 32A are much more useful.
2) Orion has longer cable (25ft vs 21ft)
3) Lectron is not IP rated.
4) Lectron does have thicker cable but Orion's cable does not get hot (or even warm) during charge so thinner cable will be easier to handle (see next point).
5) Lectron comes with a nice case but hard to fit the charger in. Orion's case looked cheap but easier to fit the charger in, due to it shape and thinner cable, too.
6) Orion is $80 cheaper.

My only concern is if the charger will be durable and reliable. Only time can tell. I also wish it comes with a 14-50 to 6-20 adapter so it can be used as a level 1 charge immediately as advertised

·
Registered
227 Posts
That EVSE has a non-removable 14-50 plug which will not work with OP's 14-30 outlet. While you can get adapters that go from a 14-50P to 14-30R (meaning you can plug a 30 amp device into a 50 amp outlet) I am not sure there is such a thing as a 14-50R to 14-30P which would allow you to plug a 50 amp device into a 30 amp outlet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That EVSE has a non-removable 14-50 plug which will not work with OP's 14-30 outlet. While you can get adapters that go from a 14-50P to 14-30R (meaning you can plug a 30 amp device into a 50 amp outlet) I am not sure there is such a thing as a 14-50R to 14-30P which would allow you to plug a 50 amp device into a 30 amp outlet.
Seems that 14-30P to 14-50R is what OP needed, right?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Cut and splice if you need to. It's not rocket science. Just a trip to the hardware store.

·
Registered
731 Posts
All good advice on chargers. Many of us have been through before. I remember how difficult it was!

You mentioned them at you were planning on moving soon. I assume that since you’re interested in a plug in charger that you plan on taking it with you. Right now you will be using a 14-30 outlet. Will your future home have a similar setup? Home charging setups can be quite varied. Some people even have 100A sub panels installed for EV charging!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have gone over this before, here it is again: EVSEs are what we are talking about. The I-Pace charger under the car limits 240vac charging to around 29 to 30 amps maximum. There is not setting on the car to change this(except for over current trips). I understand some manufacturers may have EVSE's with resistors, flux rings, transformer with/or SCRs(I doubt the SCRs)(lost heat) built in to them to limit the amps. I expect they would be expensive compared to a standard 240vac EVSE. If you can hold off and use the 120vac charger until you move, it would be a much better, cheaper solution.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have gone over this before, here it is again: EVSEs are what we are talking about. The I-Pace charger under the car limits 240vac charging to around 29 to 30 amps maximum. There is not setting on the car to change this(except for over current trips). I understand some manufacturers may have EVSE's with resistors, flux rings, transformer with/or SCRs(I doubt the SCRs)(lost heat) built in to them to limit the amps. I expect they would be expensive compared to a standard 240vac EVSE. If you can hold off and use the 120vac charger until you move, it would be a much better, cheaper solution.
my i pace came with a 120V/10A charger. It was quite pathetic. 1.2 kwh. Lol.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'll throw this out for consideration given that you are moving soon ...

For several years and tens of thousands of miles, I've been charging multiple EVs with the same Chevy Volt portable charger. It's made by Clipper Creek and is a very robust unit. It has a standard three prog wall outlet plug and isn't much faster than the granny charger that the car came with but it can easily be converted to level two with an adapter that you can make at home. Once converted, it is not a very fast level two charger pulling only 16 amps, but overnight I can get 40-50% of a charge. It has been more than adequate for normal usage and the adapter means that you can easily re-configure it for other 220 outlets (the beach house in my case).

The charger can be found on eBay for less than $200 and you can get adapters for about $75 (or make it yourself for less than $20).

This eBay listing gives a good description of which chargers work:

·
Registered
2022 iPace white/oyster
13 Posts

any recommendations?
I thought hard about all of that when I got my first eyepiece. I could Parkette in the garage and plug it into a normal outlet and wait for the overnight charge to take affect, and I did that a few times, but then I realized that ultimately if you want to be quite certain that you will have a full charge every morning, you need to have a charger that will work, and that meant adding a 50 W charger. I hired to have it done because there was no room left on my circuit breaker board to add more. I thought it would be easy but there was a difficult passageway through the ceiling area from the circuitboard to the garage. It took virtually all day, or it would’ve been much easier and much cheaper to get it done. It cost me $1500. But now, I know for certain that if I plug it in at night, I will have a full charge by morning. And doing the additional electrical work for the charger increased the value of my home, my realtor says. It cannot really hurt, and I would rather do that then plug it in at night and not see a full charge in the morning, even though I rarely go out of town. The world is going to electric cars, especially this country, whether we want it to or not. The sooner you make your garage a high power recharging facility for yourself, the better off you will be while you live there and the better off you will be when you move. That’s my two cents, for whatever it might be worth.

·
Registered
2022 iPace white/oyster
13 Posts

any recommendations?
I thought hard about all of that when I got my first eyepiece. I could Parkette in the garage and plug it into a normal outlet and wait for the overnight charge to take affect, and I did that a few times, but then I realized that ultimately if you want to be quite certain that you will have a full charge every morning, you need to have a charger that will work, and that meant adding a 50 W charger. I hired to have it done because there was no room left on my circuit breaker board to add more. I thought it would be easy but there was a difficult passageway through the ceiling area from the circuitboard to the garage. It took virtually all day, or it would’ve been much easier and much cheaper to get it done. It cost me $1500. But now, I know for certain that if I plug it in at night, I will have a full charge by morning. And doing the additional electrical work for the charger increased the value of my home, my realtor says. It cannot really hurt, and I would rather do that then plug it in at night and not see a full charge in the morning, even though I rarely go out of town. The world is going to electric cars, especially this country, whether we want it to or not. The sooner you make your garage a high power recharging facility for yourself, the better off you will be while you live there and the better off you will be when you move. That’s my two cents, for whatever it might be worth.
Forget about doing a halfway job or an alternate route or doing it yourself. Have you ever stuck your finger in electrical socket for a lightbulb? What are you were asking for a whole lot more when you go cheap or try to do it yourself. Still, if that is what you were going to do, then for the sake of your family I suggest you increase your insurance on your life substantially. Then you can have Addit with at least some level of feeling secure that the others will be taken care of and can get an electrician in to do it right after you were gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts