Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
I too am in the same boat. I just purchased my 2019 EV-400 First Edition and it arrived with 3200 miles and top of the line 22" wheels and summer tires. I have driven it less than 100 miles and have another car (Acura TLX) to use. What I did not know was what these wheels and tires could mean to a driver who might appreciate them. I am simply not that driver and wish I had known this before the purchase. This wheelset is in excellent condition as the attachments clearly show and the summer tires likely have 6600 miles of life left only being used for 3400 miles. I am in no rush and for that matter am about to replace them with 20" wheels and tires and put the 22" wheelset into storage. The 20" wheel I am interested is also shown in the attachments and I am interested in a swap, should yours be this type, although there would be some kind of logistics involved meaning someone not being able to use their I-Pace during the transition. This problem goes away once I purchase the 20" wheelset locally through the dealer. Take a look at these attachments as they give you an idea as to the value of a new 22" wheelset, show you the condition of my wheelset, and I am more than willing to give anyone an good deal and save them money should they be interested. I can easily do this since the 20" wheelset I want is somewhat cheaper and I would extend such savings to your purchase. I will investigate the cost for shipping and I imagine this could be done strapping them to pallet(s) for shipping. Like I said earlier, I am in the same boat and want to stay afloat happily.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is going to be a silly question.

I too have the 22 inch T4K2260 wheels on my HSE, and browsing the forum I notice people saying the ride is smoother on the 20s as well as better performance on the road. Glancing on Tire Rack and Discount Tire, there's also a much more limited selection of tires to choose from in 22 inch category.

Do I need to have anything adjusted suspension or settings wise if I was to switch to 20s? Or can I just bring it to say discount tires and have the new wheels and tires installed there?

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
77 Posts

I too have the 22 inch T4K2260 wheels on my HSE, and browsing the forum I notice people saying the ride is smoother on the 20s as well as better performance on the road. Glancing on Tire Rack and Discount Tire, there's also a much more limited selection of tires to choose from in 22 inch category.

Do I need to have anything adjusted suspension or settings wise if I was to switch to 20s? Or can I just bring it to say discount tires and have the new wheels and tires installed there?
No adjustments necessary. They will be plug and play, assuming you use the correct tire size and rim width/offset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very interesting that people want to swap out the 22" wheels. I have 20" style 5068, 5 spoke, gloss dark grey with contrast Diamond turned finish. There's no snow here, heck yeah I'd love to swap for 22" wheels 😂 I don't really see any downsides, well I guess the ride would be stiffer and replacements tires would be even more pricey, but still... ;)

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts

Just dropped car at dealer for service and discussed my 22" situation. If you change wheel size you have to return to dealer so they can change some kind of software setting that only they have access too. This must be done for the system to properly process certain kinds of information. The tire pressure sensor and center caps are the same for all the wheel sizes.

I am in process of trying to obtain the 20" T4K3866 (style 5070) wheelset so I can remove the 22" T4K4002 ( style 5069) wheelset and ready them for sale UNLESS I find someone who can swap what I want. I have chosen the Bridgestone DriveGuard run-flat tire to handle the situation regarding flats. The fill canister system is a total joke and does not work all the time. There is no place to store an actual spare tire so this run-flat solution seems to be a winner. Bridgstone has a 90-day return policy to boot with free tire guarantee for two-years. Their load rating is more than 10% above the specification and should work fine. These are NOT recommended automatically by TireRack but the advisor feels these would be just fine.

There may be someone out there who can appreciate what this 22" wheelset can offer but I am not the one for sure.

Anyone out there meet my criteria for a swap? Likely not easy to find which is why I am biting the bullet so to speak.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
Very interesting that people want to swap out the 22" wheels. I have 20" style 5068, 5 spoke, gloss dark grey with contrast Diamond turned finish. There's no snow here, heck yeah I'd love to swap for 22" wheels 😂 I don't really see any downsides, well I guess the ride would be stiffer and replacements tires would be even more pricey, but still... ;)
I would consider the swap BUT your wheel style is not what I would like. Won't go well with my vehicle color in my opinion.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
311 Posts
And your range will drop with 22s.
Not sure if it was the I-Pace online range estimator, but there seemed to be a bigger drop in miles between the 18's and 20's than there is between the 20's and the 22's. If I recall correctly.

****, I can't find that range estimator...

You can say darn, but not ****? (dam) :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just dropped car at dealer for service and discussed my 22" situation. If you change wheel size you have to return to dealer so they can change some kind of software setting that only they have access too. This must be done for the system to properly process certain kinds of information. The tire pressure sensor and center caps are the same for all the wheel sizes.

I am in process of trying to obtain the 20" T4K3866 (style 5070) wheelset so I can remove the 22" T4K4002 ( style 5069) wheelset and ready them for sale UNLESS I find someone who can swap what I want. I have chosen the Bridgestone DriveGuard run-flat tire to handle the situation regarding flats. The fill canister system is a total joke and does not work all the time. There is no place to store an actual spare tire so this run-flat solution seems to be a winner. Bridgstone has a 90-day return policy to boot with free tire guarantee for two-years. Their load rating is more than 10% above the specification and should work fine. These are NOT recommended automatically by TireRack but the advisor feels these would be just fine.

There may be someone out there who can appreciate what this 22" wheelset can offer but I am not the one for sure.

Anyone out there meet my criteria for a swap? Likely not easy to find which is why I am biting the bullet so to speak.
Do you think the run-flats will degrade the ride? I find that the stiff side-walls make a firmly sprung car unpleasant. Since I don’t go far with my electric car I will never be too far that a tow truck couldn’t get me if the inflator doesn’t work. Did you know the run-flat version of our P-Zero’s that they put on the BMW 7 series runs around $800 compared to $350 for ours? There might be other differences, but that seems like a lot of towing for the same money.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
77 Posts
@Jeffrey Steinhorn Very curious to hear what software settings the dealership has to change. Intuitively, this doesn't make much sense to me. The rolling diameter of the stock 22 and 20" wheels is nearly identical.

·
Super Moderator
2,251 Posts
@Jeffrey Steinhorn Very curious to hear what software settings the dealership has to change. Intuitively, this doesn't make much sense to me. The rolling diameter of the stock 22 and 20" wheels is nearly identical.
Yeah that seems odd. JLR needs to be legally protected against claims that a changed wheel size caused some issue, so there's no way that this would matter in any significant way. I suspect this is to gather data, not because it has any influence on your car.

Here's the range estimator:
Range is inflated for Urban. Click on combined first. Then click on the wheel size and watch it drop. The drop from 18 to 20 is bigger than the drop from 20 to 22.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
311 Posts
Range is inflated for Urban. Click on combined first. Then click on the wheel size and watch it drop. The drop from 18 to 20 is bigger than the drop from 20 to 22.
Thanks @sciencegeek! That's what I recalled. Looks like 17 mile range loss going from 18" to 20" and another 10 miles going to 22" using the "combined" option.

I'll keep my 20"ers, thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
I said the very same thing to the dealer as I know the diameter of the wheel plus tire remains the same for all three wheels. While my advisor did not know, he did state it must be done. Here is what I think,
  • The weight of the wheel changes and this effects calculations used to display certain types of data
  • The tire pressure information in the system is likely to be different and needs to be for the wheelset you have
  • The labeling on the driver door side shows the tire size for the 22" wheels I have yet the 20" wheels I am in the processing of getting use a different tire size and I believe that label should be changed?
Speaking of my changeout to 20" wheel - I will have available a perfect set of 22" wheels. I have already arranged effective shipping materials and will be ready to sell them at an extremely good price to anyone interested. These wheels should be immediately available around the third week of September as I await delivery of the new wheels. I will also have three Perilli summer tires with at least 6000 miles of tread life remaining (fourth one has been plugged and I would not sell that, poo poo on this vulnerability of low-profile tires).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
Do you think the run-flats will degrade the ride? I find that the stiff side-walls make a firmly sprung car unpleasant. Since I don’t go far with my electric car I will never be too far that a tow truck couldn’t get me if the inflator doesn’t work. Did you know the run-flat version of our P-Zero’s that they put on the BMW 7 series runs around $800 compared to $350 for ours? There might be other differences, but that seems like a lot of towing for the same money.
All I know (and I am still learning) is that for the Jaguar 22" wheel tires, there appears to be no run-flat or all Seasons tire. It seem as though that low profile tire is not made in a run-flat version. Switching to 20" wheels (forget the cost for now, haha), opens tire choice up quite a bit and there is a Bridgestone run-flat. However review of a that run-flat are not very good. I am in the process of switching to 20" wheels and swallowing that cost. My perfect 22" wheels will be offered for sale at an unbelievable savings. They will be ship ready the third week of September.

Here is a review of those Bridgestone run-flats for the 20" wheel size:
Bridgestone DriveGuard

Below you will find attachments of the tire I selected for my 20" wheels along with an image I created with that tire and the wheel I will be using.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts

I am in the process of switching to 20" wheels and Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season tires. I am having the work done at TiresPlus who helping me with great service when I sustained a flat on my Perilli summer tires of the 22" wheel. They will have no problems switching over and handing me back the perfect condition 22" wheels which I will offer for sale at an great price later in September. I love the look of the 22" wheel but do no wish to deal with the tire regiment needed to support that wheel size. Never even knew about that when I purchased the vehicle.

After TiresPlus performs the service I will be heading back to Jaguar for them to reprogram the system in the car for use with this different wheel size. My service advisor informed me this should be done likely due to the statistical calculations done by the system as opposed to any speedometer issues (over diameter of wheel plus tire remains unchanged).

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
All I know (and I am still learning) is that for the Jaguar 22" wheel tires, there appears to be no run-flat or all Seasons tire. It seem as though that low profile tire is not made in a run-flat version. Switching to 20" wheels (forget the cost for now, haha), opens tire choice up quite a bit and there is a Bridgestone run-flat. However review of a that run-flat are not very good. I am in the process of switching to 20" wheels and swallowing that cost. My perfect 22" wheels will be offered for sale at an unbelievable savings. They will be ship ready the third week of September.

Here is a review of those Bridgestone run-flats for the 20" wheel size:
Bridgestone DriveGuard
It looks like you are moving away from the Bridgestone's, but I would point out two potential issues with that tire in case anyone else is considering it: (1) it does not meet the recommended max load rating (it's 1,874 lbs as compared to the Eagle's 2,039 lbs); (2) like all runflats, it is a really heavy tire which will have a non-trivial impact on range (41 lbs per tire vs. 27 lbs for the Eagles).

I'd like to have runflat protection as well given that we don't have a spare, but I decided that the tradeoffs were not worth it for me.

·
Registered
599 Posts
After TiresPlus performs the service I will be heading back to Jaguar for them to reprogram the system in the car for use with this different wheel size. My service advisor informed me this should be done likely due to the statistical calculations done by the system as opposed to any speedometer issues (over diameter of wheel plus tire remains unchanged).
I am not aware of this. I went from 18 to 20 and did not do any reprogramming. What is there to reprogram? You can reset the GOM and have the I-PACE recalculate based on driving no?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts