Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
Numbers are impressive, but not particularly necessary for most of us. With current battery costs I hate to think what price we are looking at for one of these. Trimming the battery from 130kWh does not sound promising. Nor does rear seat foot holes cut out from the battery space.
Give me a luxury EV doing 250-300miles on a charge for $50k and I will be happy i.e. comparable to an ICE in price.
Focusing on cheaper battery tech and faster charging is the important direction, not cramming larger batteries into a given size vehicle.

·
Registered
361 Posts
True. I rarely need to go more than 200 km in 1 day. On the rare chance that I need it, it would handy to have faster charging.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Lucid showroom is opening in LA this weekend.
Very advanced technology but I don't like the front facia at all.
It gets 4.5mi per kWh which it's better than any other EV out there (my Fiat 500e got 4.6mi per kWh)

It's almost impossible the company will survive short of being acquired.
No other auto CEO has the ability to raise capital like Elon Musk, which is the only reason Tesla is still around.
Hopefully Lucids advantaged technology can be licensed to other OEMs to ensure its longevity

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This is exactly what I DON'T want in an EV. EVs just suck for long distances. I can go 300 miles in my Subaru Forester, at super legal speeds, stop for 8 minutes at a gas station, and then go another 300 miles before stopping for another 8 minutes. If I drove the same way in the Lucid, I'd probably get 250 miles before I had to wait for an hour to go another 200 miles because I'd still not be fully charged. Not interested in this. No thanks. Nor do I want a 30 minute wait for 80% or whatever that garbage is. 10 minutes to 300 miles at 90mph with accelerating and decelerating often is what it would take to get me out of ICE and into an EV for long trips.

We should have smaller battery luxury EVs. 50 KW and 150 miles of range, with a Panamera for the long distances.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
....Hopefully Lucids advantaged technology can be licensed to other OEMs to ensure its longevity
Having read the article I'm not sure what the proprietary technology in this car really is. Running at the higher voltage sounds advantageous, but is it practical since the charging infrastructure is not there to take advantage of the higher voltage (faster charging)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
It gets 4.5mi per kWh which it's better than any other EV out there (my Fiat 500e got 4.6mi per kWh)
I wouldn't bet on this, because the better the number is, the harder to achieve practically.
Turn on an AC, kick a little harder, get a bit of a wind or sub-optimal temperature, and it's back to 2.5..3 mi/KWh no matter how efficient the drive train is in ideal conditions.
Higher capacity is probably the only answer, but then weight and size need to be mitigated.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
EVs just suck for long distances.
My first ever trip in I-Pace bringing it from the dealership in CA to AZ was 630 mi. Did it in single run. Took me 16 hrs being totally new to the charging infrastructure and car specifics.
Not arguing that ICE or hybrid is a better choice for long trips, for those who can only afford one car, and doesn't do interstate too often, high spec EV is already a valid option right now.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I wouldn't bet on this, because the better the number is, the harder to achieve practically.
Turn on an AC, kick a little harder, get a bit of a wind or sub-optimal temperature, and it's back to 2.5..3 mi/KWh no matter how efficient the drive train is in ideal conditions.
Higher capacity is probably the only answer, but then weight and size need to be mitigated.
The claim from the CEO is this figure is going 65-70mph with AC on, multiple attempts, back and forth, so it's real world range.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Hmm... In another spot, "Rawlinson says the car is approaching 4 miles per kWh. Very, very efficient."
Also, quick calculation shows that the AC takes 60..70 Wh per mi going 60 mph (perfectly correlates with MS observations). That's 20..25% right away, so the drivetrain only would be less than 200 Wh/mi for 2+ ton high-performance full-sizer ? Hmm...
Anyway, never mind, discussing early numbers and journalists interpretations is rarely fruitful. I just hope it's closer to the reality than it seems right now.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Hmm... In another spot, "Rawlinson says the car is approaching 4 miles per kWh. Very, very efficient."
Also, quick calculation shows that the AC takes 60..70 Wh per mi going 60 mph (perfectly correlates with MS observations). That's 20..25% right away, so the drivetrain only would be less than 200 Wh/mi for 2+ ton high-performance full-sizer ? Hmm...
Anyway, never mind, discussing early numbers and journalists interpretations is rarely fruitful. I just hope it's closer to the reality than it seems right now.
This was from another interview from a few days ago, but I agree with your figures.

Reactions: dcdrive

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Came a little late but it looks much better in person.
Definitely has a presence

Store design is gorgeous

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
In 2 years they're projecting a sub $70,000 price. The interior is absolutely gorgeous...like no other BEV I've seen. This will definitely give the MS a run for its money with its far superior luxury quotient.

As for the stores, they've definitely copied the Tesla design philosophy and one upped it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
In 2 years they're projecting a sub $70,000 price. The interior is absolutely gorgeous...like no other BEV I've seen. This will definitely give the MS a run for its money with its far superior luxury quotient.

As for the stores, they've definitely copied the Tesla design philosophy and one upped it.
Yes, The whole company concept is a copy of Tesla.
I agree on the interior. Can't wait to see it and touch it in person.
I was impressed with the size and shape

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
It's interesting that they decided to go for the dying breed: sedan (saloon). Everyone is piling on to the Crossover/SUV segment but the greater surface area of those taller vehicles and their greater weight conspire to keep the range down. A sedan allows for longer range, so while ICE sedans are losing market share, it makes sense to place a bet on EV sedans.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's interesting that they decided to go for the dying breed: sedan (saloon). Everyone is piling on to the Crossover/SUV segment but the greater surface area of those taller vehicles and their greater weight conspire to keep the range down. A sedan allows for longer range, so while ICE sedans are losing market share, it makes sense to place a bet on EV sedans.
Tesla M3 sales support this. If a premium brand manufacturer came up with a small EV sedan it would sell well. They need to get price within the ballpark of similar ICE car. BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Jag XE sized and priced 25% more. Not sure if possible. I don't need a Rivian or Hummer as daily driver.
I have an LR4 as the family vehicle for long trips. Needs replacing in a couple years but doubt it will be a BEV. Maybe a PHEV. The charging infrastructure not there yet for me to want carry my family around on long trips, Tesla aside - not an MX fan. BEV is a great 2nd car daily commuter - these are usually smaller.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts