Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Since there is wireless charging, is there wireless Apple CarPlay too? I mean it's useless if it's not wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
602 Posts
As slow as in-car wireless charging is, I’d agree. Just as a heads up, I’ve exchanged a few emails with the company linked below. They tell me they’re in the final phase of testing for Jaguar infotainment systems.

This would solve the wireless CarPlay issue if successful. The device seems to work quite well for many people with other cars, so my fingers are crossed. I don’t know what it is, but I have an aversion to attach that thin little wire to enable CarPlay. :)

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
186 Posts
Just some nerd data: The In Touch Pro uses a 1.9 Ghz quad core Intel Atom chip, first designed in 2008. The Pivi Pro uses two 64-bit 2.1 Ghz quad-core Snapdragon 820A automotive chips with DDR4 memory, a built-in DSP for AI processing, and a GPU that supports up to 4K resolutions (Not that I expect 4K resolutions, but the core ability to do so indicates strength). The Snapdragon 820A chips were first announced in 2016 but seem pretty much on par with the only newer 820E version. They do seem to provide a lot more capability than was there before largely by offloading much of the intensive processing work to specialized chips, plus they have much faster memory access. Both the GPU and the vector processing in the DSP should do wonders for it. I'm fairly optimistic it should be much better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just some nerd data: The In Touch Pro uses a 1.9 Ghz quad core Intel Atom chip, first designed in 2008. The Pivi Pro uses two 64-bit 2.1 Ghz quad-core Snapdragon 820A automotive chips with DDR4 memory, a built-in DSP for AI processing, and a GPU that supports up to 4K resolutions (Not that I expect 4K resolutions, but the core ability to do so indicates strength). The Snapdragon 820A chips were first announced in 2016 but seem pretty much on par with the only newer 820E version. They do seem to provide a lot more capability than was there before largely by offloading much of the intensive processing work to specialized chips, plus they have much faster memory access. Both the GPU and the vector processing in the DSP should do wonders for it. I'm fairly optimistic it should be much better.
A 1.9 GHZ Quad core Intel atom chip should be able to power in touch without it being so **** laggy. I wonder what causes the system to have so many unacceptable delays.

·
Registered
682 Posts
A 1.9 GHZ Quad core Intel atom chip should be able to power in touch without it being so **** laggy. I wonder what causes the system to have so many unacceptable delays.
I think JLR acknowledged that the system is underpowered and each infotainment update had patches to improve performance. It is faster than when I purchased the car with software 18D and what's odd for me is the system seems to improve after a few minutes of driving.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think JLR acknowledged that the system is underpowered and each infotainment update had patches to improve performance. It is faster than when I purchased the car with software 18D and what's odd for me is the system seems to improve after a few minutes of driving.
Curt, I bet the improvement in response time, after a few minutes, is probably indicative of the fact that the system has finally fully booted.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The caveat for my voice command to work well is to wait a couple of minutes after starting the car before using it. Even then, it's still the most laggy of all infotainment functions.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
233 Posts
Something to look forward to since I still have 18D. (y)

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
233 Posts
Doc, any luck getting SOTA enabled in TopiX?
I talked to my service guy, but haven't taken the car in to the dealer yet. I haven't received my state registration and was waiting to take in the car to the dealer for a couple of fixes (including software updates) and to get my required state inspection. I told the service guy about the software issue and he said he would get that taken care of when I bring it in to the dealer. I didn't give him my VIN number to look it up in TOPIx, although I did mention it might need to be turned on there. I thought it would have been sooner that I'd be able to take it in for service. I haven't driven a lot, so it hasn't been a sticking point.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I talked to my service guy, but haven't taken the car in to the dealer yet. I haven't received my state registration and was waiting to take in the car to the dealer for a couple of fixes (including software updates) and to get my required state inspection. I told the service guy about the software issue and he said he would get that taken care of when I bring it in to the dealer. I didn't give him my VIN number to look it up in TOPIx, although I did mention it might need to be turned on there. I thought it would have been sooner that I'd be able to take it in for service. I haven't driven a lot, so it hasn't been a sticking point.
The good part of going to the dealer is you can stand over the service advisor's shoulder and watch him enable SOTA. In a few months the I-Pace has been for sale for 2 years and it seems crazy to me that some service departments still don't know to enable SOTA.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
233 Posts
The good part of going to the dealer is you can stand over the service advisor's shoulder and watch him enable SOTA. In a few months the I-Pace has been for sale for 2 years and it seems crazy to me that some service departments still don't know to enable SOTA.
I made a reservation for service next Tuesday. I'm tired of waiting for the registration. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Something I don't think is in the press material for the new model is the brake related improvements. A new brake booster, tweaked calipers and new wheel bearings result in a much better brake feel and slightly improved efficiency. I suspect this will be noticable when driving the new model compared to the current generation.

Also, a word on the current Infotainment hardware. It's primarily the GPU that is the bottleneck. The hardware was never supposed to power the number of screens and systems featured in the I-Pace. It got carried over due to time constraints and unfortunately that means we are pretty much stuck with a slow Infotainment powered by struggling hardware.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Style 1020 Gloss Black Wheels
52 Posts
Something I don't think is in the press material for the new model is the brake related improvements. A new brake booster, tweaked calipers and new wheel bearings result in a much better brake feel and slightly improved efficiency. I suspect this will be noticable when driving the new model compared to the current generation.

Also, a word on the current Infotainment hardware. It's primarily the GPU that is the bottleneck. The hardware was never supposed to power the number of screens and systems featured in the I-Pace. It got carried over due to time constraints and unfortunately that means we are pretty much stuck with a slow Infotainment powered by struggling hardware.
Good to know regarding the breaking. I wonder if regen is going to benefit at all as well. Very curious where you're getting your granular details on the new model from?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts