·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE
507 Posts
Driving my I-Pace yesterday, after it sitting for almost a week....I fell in love again. I have had at least 25+ cars, and besides my Range Rovers and 2 Phantoms, I have never loved a car more!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Driving my I-Pace yesterday, after it sitting for almost a week....I fell in love again. I have had at least 25+ cars, and besides my Range Rovers and 2 Phantoms, I have never loved a car more!!!
I agree. I really appreciate it more when driving in the canyons at high speeds

·
Super Moderator
2,130 Posts
What an utterly fascinating writeup. I really don't know anything about suspensions but he made it accessible and at the same time pretty clear that JLR is doing some unusual things here.

Ian Callum highlighted the fact that they relentlessly optimized based on the opportunity provided by an EV with its low center of gravity and other advantages. I'm sure some of the design choices in the suspension have to do with that. Notice that the small size of the brake calipers, which is sensible because of the braking strength of the dual motors, allows for some out of the box thinking too.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What an utterly fascinating writeup. I really don't know anything about suspensions but he made it accessible and at the same time pretty clear that JLR is doing some unusual things here.

Ian Callum highlighted the fact that they relentlessly optimized based on the opportunity provided by an EV with its low center of gravity and other advantages. I'm sure some of the design choices in the suspension have to do with that. Notice that the small size of the brake calipers, which is sensible because of the braking strength of the dual motors, allows for some out of the box thinking too.
I agree. I will have to read it a few times to really absorb all the details

I'm always intrigued and impressed by how much thought was put into this car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dan Edmunds also compiled a very similar report on the Porsche Taycan.

I found it interesting to open the two reports on separate Tabs to compare the photos of these two vehicles.

The comment on the philosophy of the super massive Taycan front brakes is interesting... (95% ?) :unsure:

Those front calipers look as though no one attempted any weight reduction on those things.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan Edmunds also compiled a very similar report on the Porsche Taycan.

I found it interesting to open the two reports on separate Tabs to compare the photos of these two vehicles.

The comment on the philosophy of the super massive Taycan front brakes is interesting... (95% ?) :unsure:

Those front calipers look as though no one attempted any weight reduction on those things.

Cheers, Steve
Taycan calipers are enormous, but the braking philosophy is very different for each car. Taycan doesn't utilize high regen like the I-Pace

·
Registered
88 Posts
I do wish the I-Pace brakes were better though, especially given how the car is profiled as a driver's car and even had it's own racing series (where the brakes are upgraded obviously). The I-Pace is a heavy car and stopping it rapidly at higher speeds requires some serious braking hardware. The Tesla Model S and Model X run on brembo's and the main argument provided seemed to be the amount of weight involved. Also, they look cool :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do wish the I-Pace brakes were better though, especially given how the car is profiled as a driver's car and even had it's own racing series (where the brakes are upgraded obviously). The I-Pace is a heavy car and stopping it rapidly at higher speeds requires some serious braking hardware. The Tesla Model S and Model X run on brembo's and the main argument provided seemed to be the amount of weight involved. Also, they look cool :)
I agree on the brakes. I'm sure if there is an I-Pace SVR it have the upgraded breaks

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do braking tests show, has it been done? Why overdesign if it's not necessary ...
You are right about that
90% of the time im not even using the brakes, only regen, but lately ive been driving over 100mph, taking twisty roads as fast as possible. When braking hard, I feel the cushion of the brakes. Granted its a sports car, so the brakes are good enough

The suspention is remarkble in the canyons for suchs a heavy car. You dont feel the weight as much as you should

Reactions: sciencegeek
1 - 11 of 11 Posts