Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So...trying to decide between a 2020 iPace and the new etron Sportback.

Here is my dillema:
1) I like the looks of the iPace much more
2) eTron has a few more "luxury" features
3) I'm concerned though about the reliability of the iPace. Both cars certainly have issues now and then, but boy, y'all seem to have lots of problems with the ipace
4) 2020 iPace is much more discounted/cheaper (although MSRP is relatively similar).

Would welcome thoughts!
I have my I-pace now for 21 months and driven 53k including several really long trips (>500 miles).

The I-pace is a great car it is fast, nimble, fun to drive however it has 2 major flaws if you ask me.
1) Software & slow lagging infotainment system that is not that user friendly for the money you pay - the MY2021 new infotainment should resolve most of those issues but not all.
2) DC charging rate is far too slow and tapers too early. So if based on your travel pattern you reckon you will frequently have to DC charge - don't choose the I-pace (1hr for 10-90% charge) unless you don't mind to have to wait an extra 25 minutes compared to E-tron (35 minutes for 10-90% charge).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Having driven a wide variety of cars, including in the BEV category, an MS & the I-Pace, just a couple of thoughts on your comments:

1. Infotainment systems are the biggest consumer complaint in cars for the last 5-10 years. Consumer Reports often dings cars for this and it shows up in consumer surveys as one of the frequent issues. encountered. Complexity, slowness, attention required while driving, etc. are far more common than not. So this is certainly not an I-Pace 'only' issue.

2. This is another issue not at all related to just the I-Pace. You should see the Tesla forums, loaded with complaints about how fast the faster charge rate tapers. I had to go through with that for a long time with my MS. I'd peak for perhaps 5-10 minutes and down she slid. If you take frequent long trips and don't want to waste time, then a BEV is not for you. An efficient hybrid is a much wiser choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Jag is exceptional in many ways. It looks amazing, drives better than it should, and has a roomy, stylish and comfortable interior. With a roof rack for bikes (I can fit 3), I don't need any more space than what it offers for my family of 4 and the 1- to 5-hour roadtrips we take. For me, the software behind the multimedia system mars the experience to such an extent that it nearly ruins the ownership experience of an otherwise great car. I've owned a recent model Porsche (911) and a few Audis. None of them had multimedia systems that I felt were on par with the price I paid for those cars. However, they were all superior to the Jag's. For me, the software is an important part of driving a car - so buggy, laggy software is perhaps going to annoy me more than it may others. I looked at the e-Tron too, and went with the i-Pace. No regrets on that choice, even in the knowledge that e-Tron's multimedia system is superior. ...and I'll comment that with the OTA and dealer-installed updates, the software has improved over time. It's still not good IMO, but it's sure not as bad as it was.

·
Registered
54 Posts
While I agree with some of the comments on the infotainment system, if you use the shortcut button and use Apple Car Play you can manage without it being a big deal, at least I can. And that little bit of lag and lack of responsiveness is a small price to pay for a car that looks and drives as great as this one does. I charge at home and can get 4 days of travel on one charge so the DC charge speed is a non-issue for me. If I need to drive a long way, I will just take the 740i. I have had minor issues with mine for sure, but most of that was due to my dealer not updating any of the software prior to delivering the car to me. I certainly would buy it again knowing what I know now.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts