Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...trying to decide between a 2020 iPace and the new etron Sportback.

Here is my dillema:
1) I like the looks of the iPace much more
2) eTron has a few more "luxury" features
3) I'm concerned though about the reliability of the iPace. Both cars certainly have issues now and then, but boy, y'all seem to have lots of problems with the ipace
4) 2020 iPace is much more discounted/cheaper (although MSRP is relatively similar).

Would welcome thoughts!

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
303 Posts
My view: you'll have more fun driving the i-Pace, but the risk of it having a serious problem (compared to the e-Tron) seems to be higher based on what I see on audiworld. The biggest problem I saw for the e-Tron was when they first came out there were real problems getting the DCFC connector released from the car when charging finished, and that software fix took them more than 6 months.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Here is my dillema:
3) I'm concerned though about the reliability of the iPace. Both cars certainly have issues now and then, but boy, y'all seem to have lots of problems with the ipace
4) 2020 iPace is much more discounted/cheaper (although MSRP is relatively similar).

Would welcome thoughts!
Driving dynamics are different. E-tron feels like you're driving an SUV. I-PACE feels like you're driving a Jag hatchback.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Agree that Ipace should be more fun and probably better range if that maters to you. Forums by their nature tend to generate posts about problems and fixes. Ipace has been around a bit longer. I've had zero problems in 9 months if that means anything. I did lease it though not knowing how reliable it would be as the tech is so new.

·
Registered
2020 S
65 Posts
My only issue with the e-tron Sportback is the size. It is a lot bigger and heavier than the I-Pace. If Audi put those same motors on something the size of the I-Pace it would be a winner.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
303 Posts
Yeah, the fact that the e-Tron S (and e-Tron Sportback S) are only going to be able to do 0-60 in 4.5s with 3 motors, just matching what the i-Pace does with 2, is a bit depressing.

·
Super Moderator
2,297 Posts
I don't know enough about the sportback version but I've found the design choices of the eTron especially regarding the long snout, which is not necessary, perplexing. The I-Pace is really designed around the electric drivetrain; no silly product manager messed with that singular focus, and it produced an outstanding and unique vehicle. My main beef is with the battery management but that can be mitigated by responsible behavior (precondition during fast charging, don't deplete the battery completely) and (in the case of fast charging) with a bit more patience (ok, so it maybe takes 10 min longer than the eTron to charge from empty). Wrt dealer network, maybe Audi is better at fixing stuff and maybe they're more motivated to help electric customers, but I don't know. My bottom line: I-Pace is a freaking amazing vehicle and at this point it's the devil I know; I don't yet know the eTron devil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I primarily use Apple CarPlay no matter what car I’m driving...even in my Mercedes and BMW (which both have stable infotainment systems).

Do you think using CarPlay almost exclusively will eliminate some of the issues with the iPace system?

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
303 Posts
It does get rid of some of the issues. The lag is still noticeable when dealing with the AC and the reverse camera.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I really like the E-Tron and especially how the Sportback looks, but Its an electrified Q6.
I-Pace is sportier, more exotic looking, ground up EV, soul of a Jaguar

·
Registered
26 Posts
I primarily use Apple CarPlay no matter what car I’m driving...even in my Mercedes and BMW (which both have stable infotainment systems).

Do you think using CarPlay almost exclusively will eliminate some of the issues with the iPace system?
it mostly deals with that. car play will continue to gain features as well. the button push lag is worst i've seen in any carplay application. however if youre typing all sorts of stuff on the screen, it's a distraction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I’m very close to pull the trigger on a 2020 HSE. I’m still nervous about the infotainment system, bugginess. I read that some have felt like the biggest issues have been largely resolved in the latest software. Would you all agree? Any last minute questions. I’m getting about $14k off MSRP so a pretty competitive deal compared to other options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I’m very close to pull the trigger on a 2020 HSE. I’m still nervous about the infotainment system, bugginess. I read that some have felt like the biggest issues have been largely resolved in the latest software. Would you all agree? Any last minute questions. I’m getting about $14k off MSRP so a pretty competitive deal compared to other options.
I‘m over a year with my 2020 HSE - love the car. Previous car was an Audi Q8 diesel - which I also loved. I have no doubt Audi is building a quality electric SUV in the E-Tron but I can’t imagine liking a car more than my I-Pace (and I didn’t get $14K off MSRP :)).

·
Registered
19 Posts

Here is my dillema:

Would welcome thoughts!
I don't think we have a lot of problems w the I-PACE. The e-tron is a great car and I'm on their Facebook group and you also hear about issues there. Nothing like the Tesla Model Y group, though. Selection bias. Happy people don't post "I have no problems"

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
35 Posts
Have you thought about getting a 2019 I-Pace? You can get $25K+ off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I’m very close to pull the trigger on a 2020 HSE. I’m still nervous about the infotainment system, bugginess.
I have a 2019 HSE, and with the latest software patch. I don't think the infotainment system is buggy or slow. I would never have thought about it if it hadn't been an issue before. My only complaint would be that I don't think there is a way to tell the car to stop charging at 80%. But even that is a small complaint since I have a juice box Charger.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Agree. I don't find the infotainment system that slow. I have a 2010 LR4 - that system is really slow. Depends what you're used to I guess. Its take a half minute for everything to startup but you can still drive off while the system finishes booting up. Haven't had any system crashes since it's been updated. Android Auto will occasionally hang but I blame Android for that not Jaguar. Swapping between screens is quite fluid, sub menus open up within 10s of milliseconds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My older wife was driving my I-Pace with younger lady in the I-Pace yesterday and a guy on a motorcycle passed them and waved at them. Ditto the times I have received comments and waves in the I-Pace. Buy a another same old SUV or an I-Pace.🙂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Driving dynamics are different. E-tron feels like you're driving an SUV. I-PACE feels like you're driving a Jag hatchback.
I drove the original Audi e-Tron SUV in Sept 2019, which I think was basically an electrified Q7. The I-PACE was way more sporty. Also, it looks sexy and different - it's a new generation car that emphasizes the skateboard platform (cab forward; wheels at corners). The Audi e-Tron looks just like the ICE version; only the small e-Tron badge distinguished it from all the "me too" Audi SUVs. I want people to know I'm driving a BEV!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I drove the original Audi e-Tron SUV in Sept 2019, which I think was basically an electrified Q7. The I-PACE was way more sporty. Also, it looks sexy and different - it's a new generation car that emphasizes the skateboard platform (cab forward; wheels at corners). The Audi e-Tron looks just like the ICE version; only the small e-Tron badge distinguished it from all the "me too" Audi SUVs. I want people to know I'm driving a BEV!
Welcome to the forum, Michael! Glad to have you aboard and waiting to hear all about your car!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts