Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s a strange issue with my wife’s brand new iPace. I have our juicebox on TOU starting at 10pm. The three nights we’ve owned it I have not been able to get it charge to 100%

For instance, last night I setup the JB app to the dashboard 56%. It started on time and ran to 1:30am or so but stopped at 95% /roughly where it has the past three nights. It also charges tiny amounts 6 or 7 times throughout the night which I guess is some kind of preconditioning.

I have confirmed that the “timers” on the car are off.

I’ve done a bunch of reading here and elsewhere on JB and ChargePoint issues with the IPace going back to 2018 but they are not quite the same issue.
I updated the car yesterday to S21A_21.10.6-676616.

We’ve had the JB nearly four years now and never had this issue with our former Leaf and Bolt.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
Have you set the JB app to know it is charging an I-PACE?
If not, do so.
Edit the I-PACE "profile" driving range setting to 280 miles or more.

By setting the JB app to match the same SOC before charging, the JB will stop charging the car when it thinks the car is fully charged regardless of the actual SOC in the car.
You can overcome this by (1) changing the range to a higher number of miles as stated above, or (2) don't start the app at the SOC in the car but let it start at 0, or (3) do 1 and 2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there are actually three choices. See pic. I’ve tried them with the same result. I just changed the range setting to 280 as you suggested. Let’s see how that works over night.
As you suggested I could set it to ZERO current charge before charging and will try that also. I assume the Pace will stop it at 100% correct??
Thx.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Yes it does. The pre MY22 I-PACE is the first in the list above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: So last night was my first attempt to let it charge to 100%, letting it do it’s own thing.

It started at 34% charge which, assuming the 90Kwh advertised on the battery is the “usable” number, is about 30.6kwh remaining. Therefore would need 59.4kwh to hit 100%.

As you can see, it still fell a little short. When I looked at the app, my first thought was that the 90Kwh is the gross and not usable volume. However, when I went to the carit once again says 95% on the dash.

In and of itself it’s not a big deal, it’s just a mystery to be solved. I suppose having changed the Juicebox to 280 miles capacity per your suggestion, maybe I should up it to 290 or 300.
T.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Do you have access to an Android phone or other device? If so, get the WattCat app. The charging display will show a kWh estimate at 100% and a calculated optimization number.
A fully healthy traction battery will show 85-87 kWh (approx.) and 97-100% for optimization.

Does the Juicebox app graph show that it reached 100% before the end of the charge period? Can you post the graph?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have access to an Android phone or other device? If so, get the WattCat app. The charging display will show a kWh estimate at 100% and a calculated optimization number.
A fully healthy traction battery will show 85-87 kWh (approx.) and 97-100% for optimization.

Does the Juicebox app graph show that it reached 100% before the end of the charge period? Can you post the graph?
It shows 90%+ . Does this help.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I'm looking for a graph like this one. It's in the app. Swipe to the display after the one you posted in post #6, highlight the charging session, and rotate the phone 90 degrees.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Stating the obvious: Comparing to mine, yours is not a normal graph.

It should be a consistent charge rate from beginning to end with the "additional" charging (balancing?) that goes on past the point it reaches 100%.

Are there any other electrical power supply events that would interfere with the charger being able to supply full 7.6kW? If not, then you need a dealer to investigate the health of the 36 cells in the traction battery as well as ensuring that the onboard charging equipment is up-to-date on programming and doesn't have any other defect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope. But that’s been the norm with the former leaf and bolt as well. My suspicion is that there is some adjustment going on in the car due to heat in the garage combined with the heat generated through the charging process. It’s July in Las Vegas after all.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a Juicebox 40. I've notice over the last week or so that it's starting/stopping multiple times during the session. Wasn't doing this before and its different from the cell balancing I used to see at the end of a charging session. Is it the juicebox or my car that may be the issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a Juicebox 40. I've notice over the last week or so that it's starting/stopping multiple times during the session. Wasn't doing this before and its different from the cell balancing I used to see at the end of a charging session. Is it the juicebox or my car that may be the issue?
Ours does that all the time repeatedly during the night. Wife said her former Bolt which also had temp management during charging did the same. We’re here in Vegas so as you can imagine to garage has been hot even during the night.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ours does that all the time repeatedly during the night. Wife said her former Bolt which also had temp management during charging did the same. We’re here in Vegas so as you can imagine to garage has been hot even during the night.
Thx for the reply. I find it odd that this just started if it was temp related. Never happened during the peak of summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts