Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
848 Posts
We've ruled out anything electrical with the braking system since the cruise control works.

So based on your description, you apply pressure on the brake and it stops. Release the brake and it starts again. That would raises the possibility that it is mechanical in nature and something is loose, or has out of tolerance clearance.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Just verified the emergency flashers continue working when brake pedal is engaged, so I am ruling out anything to do with the flashers circuitry. I believe at least one car I owned that when the flashers were activated and then I stepped on the brake the flashers would stop and then resume after I released the brake pedal. Still thinking through this mystery. Looking forward to the end of this story as is bravosierra13.

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
What are people's thoughts about something electromechanical that actually works as intended but has some irrelevant effect that produces a sound? It could be manufacturing variation in some sort of relay or wiring harness ... in other words "normal" in function but annoying in side effect. If one could pinpoint it precisely it would help a lot I think.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Could it be part of the control ststem for the brake system vacuum pump?

There could be a slight vacuum leak or a faulty vacuum sensor.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
135 Posts
While it doesn’t explain the brake pedal stopping the sound, have you tried turning off the HVAC to see if it is related? I remember I had a car that used to always cycle through the different dampers when the it was set to AUTO. When the engine was off but the car still left on accessories I could still here the dampers moving around a bit.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Progress, sort of. A tech finally went for a drive with me today and suspects the master cylinder for the brake system. Because there is no vacuum system in this car, they had to invent a different way to pressurize the brake system. This involves a coil and a ball bearing that compresses and resets every few seconds in order to keep the system always at the ready. Apparently the ball bearing resetting after decompressing is what the click is coming from. It’s a normal operating sound from the car, but he said that he’s never heard one that operates this loudly so it’s probably a slight manufacturing defect. They set me up for an appointment (a month out!!) to replace the master cylinder. I’ll update again after that! Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
802 Posts
What are people's thoughts about something electromechanical that actually works as intended but has some irrelevant effect that produces a sound? It could be manufacturing variation in some sort of relay or wiring harness ... in other words "normal" in function but annoying in side effect. If one could pinpoint it precisely it would help a lot I think.
I absolutely think that’s a good possibility. I also think that all cars might well have it, but because the clicking is so low in volume and so regular in its intervals, that it’s extremely easy to miss. When it’s doing it you must have nothing on in the car and there must be no ambient noise or it will be easily masked.

The fact that its intervals are so precisely timed, makes me think it’s just some normal, timed operation of some kind. I really don’t worry about it at all.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts