Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Heard it this evening. Not something I would have noticed if I wasn't listening for it.
Heard before pressing the start button. Could not hear it while car was running, or after hitting "Stop".
Yup, that’s it. I’m sure all the cars have it once you know what to listen for and under the right conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Intro first, I suppose. I traded a 2015 Mustang and a 2014 Tacoma last month for a 2020 I-Pace HSE. Needed something to drive all 4-seasons here in Utah, but still a blast to drive. Since we'd already been talking about going electric, the I-Pace easily made the top of the list. Got a killer deal from my local Land Rover that was just approved 2 weeks earlier to sell Jaguars too... this was their first Jaguar sale! They beat another dealer's price, so I feel like I stole it with just over $20k off MSRP plus the tax rebate next spring... I couldn't turn them down.

It's exactly the car I wanted, I love it. Except for an electronic clicking noise about every 4 seconds. I don't remember the other test drive car doing this, so I'm curious if anyone else has noticed it. It's located under/behind the steering column... audible anywhere in the car but louder and clearer if you stick your head under the dash. It goes away if the brake pedal is actively being pressed, starts again the moment you release the pedal. Occasionally, after 15-20 minutes of driving, it'll seem to go away, only to start again later. I'm thinking a faulty sensor/controller/computer associated with the braking system? I've scoured the internet and can't find anyone talking about it, so it seems to be a fault rather than how the car is designed to be. I had my local dealer update all the software, which seemed to solve it for a couple hours, then it came back. I've got an appointment this week for an alignment at the main Jaguar dealer in town, so I'll ask them about it then. Any thoughts on where I should have them start on a diagnosis?

I have an audio file in wav, mp3, and m4a formats, and a video in .mov but none of them would upload here. If there's a good way for me to get you access to the sounds, let me know! Excited to be part of the I-Pace world, thanks for the help.

Blake
Hello Blake!
Welcome to the club, glad to hear your not the only one that got a great deal we got 28k off mine too! The clicking I hear when shes turned off sitting. I also hear a VERY high-pitched noise when shes off and just parked on the rear side, like shes sending out a signal or something. Maybe an update is needed...in your case

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry! My notifications stopped coming, so I thought the conversation had died. Didn't mean to leave you all hanging.

@sciencegeek My clicking noise runs ~90% of the time, regardless of which "mode" the car is in. Unlocked only, not started in either way? Clicks. Accessory mode? Clicks. Motors running and driving down the road? Clicks. Very occasionally, it doesn't do it at all in any mode, but then will start up 15 minutes later down the road somewhere. It's that quirk, combined with the fact that not all of you experience this, that makes me feel like it's a fault somewhere.

I garage mine in a temperature controlled garage, so the A/C fans aren't running when I initially start driving the car, which means it is VERY quiet, therefore a VERY obvious clicking sound. However, I can hear it over every other noise the car makes, even A/C blasting, until I'm over about 50mph and road noise takes over. Let's just say it's not something I have to listen carefully for... it's about as subtle as sitting next to faucet dripping into a full sink of water.

The Jaguar dealer wouldn't even look at it for me. They did the alignment and gave it back with no acknowledgment that the tech had even inspected it. I asked the service advisor at the end of the appt and he said to email him the sound and he'd ask the tech if he heard it. That was Tuesday, and after several reminder emails, he simply keeps responding that he'll ask the tech when he has a chance. Frustrating. If I hear nothing next week, I'll just make another appt with my smaller neighborhood dealer since they at least did some software updates for me last time I asked about it.

@Amphungry Thanks! Good to be here! I am hoping that perhaps an update will make this magically go away at some point! Crazy to me that my car can be fixed OTA... that's a new experience.

Infotainment is on S20A_20.16.5-536345, Vehicle connectivity system is 18.2. No updates available when I check on either one.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Infotainment is on S20A_20.16.5-536345, Vehicle connectivity system is 18.2. No updates available when I check on either one.
To get 20B you may need to contact your service advisor and ask him to enable OTA in his TopiX system. I know not everyone has been able to get the latest updates but most have after OTA was enabled.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've followed your saga and you're more patient than I could ever be. If SOTA doesn't come through for you soon it may be time to see the dealer.
Curt, I definitely would if these updates offered something I really needed/wanted. But it seems they're more on the 'meh' side, so I really don't want to waste my time at the dealer with this. My next step would be to simply have them push the update to me and be done with it...for now.

My other concern is that I have serious doubts they'll ever find the 'why' for this issue.

On their end SOTA is on-check. On my end I'm getting wifi/cellular service-check. S20B is showing up in their Topix software for my car and they have no clue as to why I don't have it-check.

I am beginning to wonder if the first OTA update I got on the first night I had the car, was pushed or truly unsolicited. The beat goes on. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does everyone that is reporting the noise have a heated windshield? One thing to eliminate would be a relay associated with that. No click in mine and no heated windshield in mine either. I am on 20A so that is another data point.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Does everyone that is reporting the noise have a heated windshield? One thing to eliminate would be a relay associated with that. No click in mine and no heated windshield in mine either. I am on 20A so that is another data point.
Interesting point. Heated windshield and clicking. In 20A prison. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Clicking and no heated windshield. Need another hypothesis. I believe I'm on 19B......still haven't visited the dealer.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Curt, I definitely would if these updates offered something I really needed/wanted. But it seems they're more on the 'meh' side, so I really don't want to waste my time at the dealer with this. My next step would be to simply have them push the update to me and be done with it...for now.

My other concern is that I have serious doubts they'll ever find the 'why' for this issue.

On their end SOTA is on-check. On my end I'm getting wifi/cellular service-check. S20B is showing up in their Topix software for my car and they have no clue as to why I don't have it-check.

I am beginning to wonder if the first OTA update I got on the first night I had the car, was pushed or truly unsolicited. The beat goes on. ;)
I get you, Ken. I think a couple of other members had some hardware problems that required replacement. Memory fails as to what the device was. Eventually there will be something important that you will want to install. If I wasn't getting SOTA I wouldn't bring the car in for 20B either.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
489 Posts
Heated windshield & 20B, but I cannot hear the sound after starting the car - even after turning radio off and climate fan down to zero and sitting in a parking lot.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
854 Posts
SOTA failure can be a hardware failure or a corrupted file that is in the process. There was a bulletin about some early cars on TCU 16.2 having no SOTA due to corrupted curl files. I would hope all of them are fixed by now.

I had TCU 14.2 and SOTA wouldn't work until the vet sorted it out with JLR. Your vet should find fault code(s) for issues or go through the recommended diagnostic procedures.

I don't think any dealer pushed S20B and S20B1 updates to me. It was waiting for me in the early hours of the morning before any dealership in the US is open. I doubt any would have pushed it out the night before, especially considering their reduced staffing.

I don't have any bothersome clicking at any time. Heated windshield - yes. There is a very very soft "clicking" when I turn on initially power up the car and don't have the sound system on and I'm in a very quiet environment. I have to really listen for it. It doesn't shout out by itself.

I would like to hear an audio file of this experience.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Mine is audible up to ~50mph and even then if I listen for it I can find it. But usually by then I’m ready to ignore it and turn the radio on.

The most interesting phenomenon for me is that it NEVER does it while I’m pressing the brake pedal, then immediately starts again afterwards. So it has to be some module that’s controlling or at least connected to the braking system in some way.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
854 Posts
Possibly a faulty brake light switch or switch positioning. If it is tied to the brake system, your cruise control would not work and the brake lights could be flashing everyone behind you.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Cruise control works flawlessly... I haven’t checked the lights.

I do have a heated windshield, for the record. Although I think we’ve ruled that theory out already.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts