Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intro first, I suppose. I traded a 2015 Mustang and a 2014 Tacoma last month for a 2020 I-Pace HSE. Needed something to drive all 4-seasons here in Utah, but still a blast to drive. Since we'd already been talking about going electric, the I-Pace easily made the top of the list. Got a killer deal from my local Land Rover that was just approved 2 weeks earlier to sell Jaguars too... this was their first Jaguar sale! They beat another dealer's price, so I feel like I stole it with just over $20k off MSRP plus the tax rebate next spring... I couldn't turn them down.

It's exactly the car I wanted, I love it. Except for an electronic clicking noise about every 4 seconds. I don't remember the other test drive car doing this, so I'm curious if anyone else has noticed it. It's located under/behind the steering column... audible anywhere in the car but louder and clearer if you stick your head under the dash. It goes away if the brake pedal is actively being pressed, starts again the moment you release the pedal. Occasionally, after 15-20 minutes of driving, it'll seem to go away, only to start again later. I'm thinking a faulty sensor/controller/computer associated with the braking system? I've scoured the internet and can't find anyone talking about it, so it seems to be a fault rather than how the car is designed to be. I had my local dealer update all the software, which seemed to solve it for a couple hours, then it came back. I've got an appointment this week for an alignment at the main Jaguar dealer in town, so I'll ask them about it then. Any thoughts on where I should have them start on a diagnosis?

I have an audio file in wav, mp3, and m4a formats, and a video in .mov but none of them would upload here. If there's a good way for me to get you access to the sounds, let me know! Excited to be part of the I-Pace world, thanks for the help.

Blake

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
Never heard that myself, but woild guess the best approach would be to have the dealer hear it for themselves.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
Never heard that myself, but woild guess the best approach would be to have the dealer hear it for themselves.

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
Hey Blake, welcome and congrats on your new ride! (Pictures?)
Can you post the video elsewhere (such as google photos) and share a link?
I'm not aware of anyone who has posted a similar issue ... very strange.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@Qtown charger - That's what I did at my local dealer, but they are brand new to any jaguars, let alone the I-Pace, so I'm hoping when the larger dealer hears it they'll have better ideas than just updating software.

@sciencegeek - I just uploaded it to google drive and tried to grab a public url... we'll see if that works. This was taken this morning... the car was unlocked but not running, doors were all closed.

Car photos on the way ☺

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I hear it but have no idea other than it is some how related to the brake pedal operation. So if you sit in the car and after a few minutes when the car completely shuts down, does it continue to make that noise? This is just a curious question since I still would not know the solution either way. This is way above my diagnostic skill level!

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Photon2.0eV Yeah once the car completely shuts down again it’ll go away, so it’s not happening while it’s asleep (screens all off). I’m hoping the fact that this is new to you guys means that the dealer will hear it, swap out a piece of something and all will be solved! I can’t listen to that for the life of the car!

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
I hear it too. The intervals seems regular, and there's double click after you release the brake pedal. It sounds like a two-phase thing, like something triggers and then something fails to catch a very small fraction of a second later. Also, a relay comes to mind. You might be able to locate it better by really getting under there and sticking your head under, looking up and then listening for the source. There is no cover there.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see several small plastic boxes/pin connectors that look like they could contain electronic components that might produce that kind of sound. Just hesitant to start unplugging things and cause an error of some sort. I’ve also thought of pulling fuses the old fashioned way, but that also makes me nervous with such a computer-based car. I’ll see what the dealer says at the appointment and hopefully let them do all the yanking.
Why don’t they have a “Restart” button? That’s my default with any technology...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I too have heard it but only once and coincidentally early this morning. I got in to check something and muted the XM and there it was, a very rhythmic click, like a very slow grandfather clock ticking at a very slow interval emanating from what seemed like behind the steering wheel. I don't recollect it having a second beat. I have NEVER heard it before and just came back from a drive where it did not happen. I have been in the car before without any music on and the sound has never occurred but it's now on my JAG radar along with a host of other quirks to be cognizant of...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yup, I've got it too and it's very rhythmic at a set interval. I only seem to hear it when I shut the car off and sit in the car prior to opening the car door. It almost sounds like a timer of some kind. I really wouldn't worry about it since I suspect it's normal.

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
I just tried to listen for it after having turned the car on and I can't hear anything. Is it only after you've driven or also when you first turn the car on?

·
Registered
109 Posts
When sitting in my car with audio and A/C off, to play around with menu settings etc, I have occasionally heard very low level rythmic electronic tapping noises possibly behind the two central screens.

I have concluded that I can hear a mechanical hard disk drive, head stepping between tracks. This could be loading, updating or houskeeping of the infotainment system files.

I can't play bravos sound file to confirm if this is the same noise, but I would expect that someone else has noticed the noises I have described.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
850 Posts
I just tried to listen for it after having turned the car on and I can't hear anything. Is it only after you've driven or also when you first turn the car on?
For me I seem to recall it’s also there when I get in the car before pressing the start button, but I’ll try to confirm that today. This is not an ‘in your face’ ticking sound, it needs to be very quiet to hear it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just heard it again now that the car has been sitting for a day without driving, quiet early morning. The sound is heard when the car is unlocked but not started. I waited a few minutes before starting the car and it did not stop. The sound is a combination of a tick and a creak, runs rhythmically between 3-4 seconds and is louder on the driver side vs. the passenger side altho getting into the foot well, it does appear to emanate from the center console back far behind the lower screens. The sound stops when the car is started.
On another note, is a pulsating lighted start button normal? I've had it so long I assumed it was but wondering if everyone sees that. Seems wrong to me but I am not British.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Interestingly as I pulled into the garage this morning and turned off the car, I heard nothing. Weird.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
708 Posts
Just heard it again now that the car has been sitting for a day without driving, quiet early morning. The sound is heard when the car is unlocked but not started. I waited a few minutes before starting the car and it did not stop. The sound is a combination of a tick and a creak, runs rhythmically between 3-4 seconds and is louder on the driver side vs. the passenger side altho getting into the foot well, it does appear to emanate from the center console back far behind the lower screens. The sound stops when the car is started.
On another note, is a pulsating lighted start button normal? I've had it so long I assumed it was but wondering if everyone sees that. Seems wrong to me but I am not British.
The pulsating start button came out a while ago on Jags. If you watch it, it's a heart beat rhythm :) It's been one of my FAV Jag quirks/features for years :)

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
Heard it this evening. Not something I would have noticed if I wasn't listening for it.
Heard before pressing the start button. Could not hear it while car was running, or after hitting "Stop".

1 - 20 of 57 Posts