Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added a 2019 Volt to the harem tonight. Drove it dry on the way home, then plugged it into a JuiceBox Pro 32 amp. 95% charge in 2h00m, or >25 miles of charge per hour.

Love Volts, but after spending 5 weeks in the Jaguar I-Pace, I can see why the MSRP on the Jaguar is double. The 2019 Volt Premier is the Best of Breed when it comes to EREV engineering, it dies this year while wearing the crown due to poor sales. Pity. But the I-Pace is IMO the 'Best of Breed' in the EV world and a big step up in comfort, relaxation, and fun from the Volt.

Our 2019 Volt replaces a 2016 Volt. The more advanced safety equipment and faster charging made it a much better car for our needs.

Warning - If you get used to the Jaguar Steering Assist and Lane Departure Warning, snap out of it before driving a Volt using Adaptive with LKA. Did a bit of 'driving by braille' (riding the lane markers) when I was looking straight ahead and had both hands on the wheel. The Volt does not warn you very well. In 1800 miles I've become accustomed to just resting my hands on the steering wheel and daydreaming in the I-Pace. The LDW vibration and red lights give you plenty of warning compared to the Volt. In the Volt's defense, the red LED HUD crash warning is excellent at getting your attention.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Chevy has some very good technology that they put into the Volt and the Bolt, but they are terrible with marketing. They really do their best to make these good cars unsexy (is that a word?) to the mass market. Honestly, I would have purchased a Bolt two years ago if Chevy had just spent a bit more on decent front seats. Guess I should be happy they decided to go cheap with the seats as this kept me waiting until the I-Pace arrived and eliminated all my personal deal breakers. Hopefully Chevy will figure out how to stay in this market and make the mass market EV work.

I do like the looks of the Volt in the Pacific Blue Metallic. What color did you get?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Chevy has some very good technology that they put into the Volt and the Bolt, but they are terrible with marketing. They really do their best to make these good cars unsexy (is that a word?) to the mass market. Honestly, I would have purchased a Bolt two years ago if Chevy had just spent a bit more on decent front seats. Guess I should be happy they decided to go cheap with the seats as this kept me waiting until the I-Pace arrived and eliminated all my personal deal breakers. Hopefully Chevy will figure out how to stay in this market and make the mass market EV work.

I do like the looks of the Volt in the Pacific Blue Metallic. What color did you get?
Yes the Pacific Blue Metallic. The car is for my son primarily. The only option we didn't get was NAV, which is now redundant since WAZE works so well on Volt through CarPlay, plus it has OnStar nav. We bought the NAV on 2017 Volt and we never use it. Why? It won't accept commands while driving. When uploading driving directions, IIRC, it goes into OnStar anyways.

Until the I-Pace, the Volts used to be my favorite car for use in an urban environment. Now it's the Jaguar>Volt>CT6>Pickup>Corvette.

However... For trips over 400 miles? The CT6 is the luxury cruise liner of the fleet. But the Jaguar would come in second if there was DCFC support on that route. It's just that the Caddy goes 85-90 for over 400mi with rear seat entertainment and reclining+massage in all seats.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes the Pacific Blue Metallic. The car is for my son primarily. The only option we didn't get was NAV, which is now redundant since WAZE works so well on Volt through CarPlay, plus it has OnStar nav. We bought the NAV on 2017 Volt and we never use it. Why? It won't accept commands while driving. When uploading driving directions, IIRC, it goes into OnStar anyways.

Until the I-Pace, the Volts used to be my favorite car for use in an urban environment. Now it's the Jaguar>Volt>CT6>Pickup>Corvette.

However... For trips over 400 miles? The CT6 is the luxury cruise liner of the fleet. But the Jaguar would come in second if there was DCFC support on that route. It's just that the Caddy goes 85-90 for over 400mi with rear seat entertainment and reclining+massage in all seats.
I think Jaguar can learn a lot from BMW's iDrive system. Its been a top performer. Meanwhile Jaguar and even Range Rover continue to struggle.
Best of all, BMW was one of the first to introduce infotainment systems and continues to impress

·
Registered
418 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I have '16 X5 diesel right now - in fact it's my 3rd BMW in a row. I love the iDrive system. People used to hate it but that was in the early iteration that wasn't as easy to use overall. The current versions are fantastic and super easy to use on the move.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed!

Love Volts, but after spending 5 weeks in the Jaguar I-Pace, I can see why the MSRP on the Jaguar is double. The 2019 Volt Premier is the Best of Breed when it comes to EREV engineering, it dies this year while wearing the crown due to poor sales. Pity. But the I-Pace is IMO the 'Best of Breed' in the EV world and a big step up in comfort, relaxation, and fun from the Volt.
Volt was a great car for my first EV, surprised to see it going away.
Got $5k off MSRP on Volt, paid MSRP on S model I-pace. Put 35k miles on my 2017 volt with 2/3 to 3/4 of those Electric. Considered a 2019 Volt for same upgrade reasons but am a 1 car household. First time I have ever traded in a car at a dealership. Fast home charger for Volt was ready for 2019 I-pace. One pedal driving, big power, and little things like turning creep off provides full driving experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts