Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any rhyme or reason regarding how long the Informatica system takes to boot? I've gotten in the car in the morning and it's instantly there (after sitting in the garage turned off all night). Other times, it takes many minutes. Personally I think it's just the car trying to mess with my head :) or.... maybe Solar flares.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,021 Posts
Informatica is a software company that doesn't have anything to do with this. I'm pretty sure you meant infotainment system.

Are there days when you unlock or open a door for a period of time before you get in and press the start button? The boot up seems to start when either of these actions happen.

Have you timed how long it takes a PC to boot Windows completely? It doesn't seem to me to be much different. Navigation takes the longest plus it has to wait for the TCU to get fully up and supply the GPS info.

The car is a complex network of computers that all have to boot up and communicate. They share several networks of varying speeds and priorities. I'm willing to wait for them to get it together before setting off on a journey.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Informatica is a software company that doesn't have anything to do with this. I'm pretty sure you meant infotainment system.

Are there days when you unlock or open a door for a period of time before you get in and press the start button? The boot up seems to start when either of these actions happen.

Have you timed how long it takes a PC to boot Windows completely? It doesn't seem to me to be much different. Navigation takes the longest plus it has to wait for the TCU to get fully up and supply the GPS info.

The car is a complex network of computers that all have to boot up and communicate. They share several networks of varying speeds and priorities. I'm willing to wait for them to get it together before setting off on a journey.
I consider the load to be complete when I get my 4G link icon. Thus usually happens shortly after Navigation loads.

The weird thing is sometimes when I get in the car in the morning, I hit start and everything is loaded. The car is in the garage so there isn't an unlock, it's open the door and get in.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes, it depends on your routine. If you unlock the car with the fob, a couple of second before you reach the car, if you unlock the car, and you have to put something in the trunk before getting in the car, etc... all those makes the computer boots before you get in the car and then makes you think the boot time is shorter, but in fact it started before.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,027 Posts
Since you leave the car unlocked, could it be that the initial wake up signal that the car responds to is proximity of the key fob rather than unlocking

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,021 Posts
I wonder if a door was not completely shut, or a faulty switch in a door latch simulating the condition, keeps the cat (partially?) awake all night instead of letting it sleep.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Okay seriously, before you open the door, press the fob, or anything else, check to see if the red hazard warning switch is lit. The days it is lit are the days everything will be ready to go instantly. My cat had insomnia for 12 days straight and only the threat of going to the vet (dealership service dept.) did the light finally go out. I will say it was nice to have everything ready to go instantly for those 12 days.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay seriously, before you open the door, press the fob, or anything else, check to see if the red hazard warning switch is lit. The days it is lit are the days everything will be ready to go instantly. My cat had insomnia for 12 days straight and only the threat of going to the vet (dealership service dept.) did the light finally go out. I will say it was nice to have everything ready to go instantly for those 12 days.
Interesting, I will check. There are times it is instant on. All the software is up to date..according to the dealer. Again, it's not a big deal, it's just weird when it happens.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes, it depends on your routine. If you unlock the car with the fob, a couple of second before you reach the car, if you unlock the car, and you have to put something in the trunk before getting in the car, etc... all those makes the computer boots before you get in the car and then makes you think the boot time is shorter, but in fact it started before.
This

Systems start to boot up when you hit unlock and open the door. When I approach my car while on the phone my phone switches to the car audio as soon as I open the door, before I even turn the car on. Which means that I no longer hear the other person for a few seconds until I turn the car on. I assume this is because the boot up sequence doesn’t start with pushing the start button but actually starts earlier.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Boot up for me is consistent. I don't plug my phone in to CarPlay until after the system shows the "tap screen" message is on the upper screen. Going to and from work means that I've opened the rear driver's side using the button on the door to unlock and put my briefcase behind my seat (and laid out my suit jacket if I have one that day). By the time I open the driver's door, sit down, turn on the car and buckle up, the car is booted and I can plug my phone in and things work consistently.

When I immediately get in the driver's seat, I do find myself waiting for a few seconds until the system boots up enough for me to plug the phone in.

There is a caveat ...

When I precondition the cabin using the app, the system is immediately available when I get in.

Whenever I experience oddities (reverse camera guidelines missing, collision tones muffled or absent, CarPlay doesn't automatically appear or requires me to unplug/replug the phone or defaults to the phone screen instead of the maps screen), it is a result of me driving off without a full boot up.

Now that I think about it, it also helps to have my destination preset on the Maps app on the phone and directions running (already tapped "Go" on the phone) and wait for the directions to appear on their own (i.e., don't press the screen). It also helps if I pause whatever media I'm listening to before I exit the car and then restart it manually on my next trip (assuming I'm using CarPlay media and not radio or satellite). I have the diamond button on the steering wheel set up to pause and restart media playback to aid in this.

It should go without saying that per SOP I keep salt packets in my right front pants pocket and toss a pinch over my left shoulder when approaching car unless you can see the faint image of the full lunar disk while the new crescent Moon is illuminated at which point you must resort to placing the foot of a rabbit that was killed in a cemetery by a cross-eyed person at the dark of the Moon in the passenger side cupholder, unless it it is within a fortnight of either solstice, whereupon ...

·
Registered
815 Posts
It should go without saying that per SOP I keep salt packets in my right front pants pocket and toss a pinch over my left shoulder when approaching car unless you can see the faint image of the full lunar disk while the new crescent Moon is illuminated at which point you must resort to placing the foot of a rabbit that was killed in a cemetery by a cross-eyed person at the dark of the Moon in the passenger side cupholder, unless it it is within a fortnight of either solstice, whereupon ...
LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
I notice the same thing. Some days the car will be sitting for 24-48 hours, I get in, and the system is instantly good to go... then I'll go to the store, run in for 5 minutes, come back, and the thing takes a minute or two to boot up. Doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason for the behavior.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts