Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
688 Posts
A bare minimum of $10,000 off sticker. Many So. Cal dealers are taking almost $15,000 off new 2019 I-Pace in stock. Really shocking (and sad) for those who paid over sticker not that long ago!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
For a lot car you should be starting at $10k under MSRP.

I wouldn't buy a used iPace. You'll almost certainly be buying a car with software defects.
As someone who purchased an original First Edition I-Pace, the generalization that you'd "almost certainly" be buying a car with software defects, I'd like the raise the B.S. flag. We've never had a single problem with the vehicle or its software.

And, yes, ours is for sale but only because we need a car for long distance travel, not because of any defects.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One thing about purchasing a new 2019 i-Pace are the huge discounts, got mine at 16k off, plus you get the tax credit of 7,500 if you have not already used this. This gets you up to over 23k off. Not bad for a new car.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
108 Posts
As someone who purchased an original First Edition I-Pace, the generalization that you'd "almost certainly" be buying a car with software defects, I'd like the raise the B.S. flag. We've never had a single problem with the vehicle or its software.

And, yes, ours is for sale but only because we need a car for long distance travel, not because of any defects.
While I appreciate you want to protect the value of the car you're selling, the harsh reality is most people selling an iPace so soon are likely doing so because of a bad experience.

Certainly not everyone, true, but considering it can be difficult to notice the problems during a short test drive and the issues rarely give warning codes.. it's absolutely advisable not to buy a used iPace.

I hope you sell yours but I'd avoid a used iPace, especially given the drastically below MSRP a new car can be had for.

·
Registered
120 Posts

That makes one trouble-free car against the half dozen or more buy-backs we've seen from users on this forum. The caution against a used I-pace seems pretty well-founded at this point, IMO.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That makes one trouble-free car against the half dozen or more buy-backs we've seen from users on this forum. The caution against a used I-pace seems pretty well-founded at this point, IMO.
There are many more trouble free I-Paces out there beyond NerdUno. You can include me in the number and others who have only complained about software glitches pre S19B. I don't think we can come to any conclusions other than failure rates for I-Pace appear to be slightly higher than for their ICE equivalents. If you look at global sales of over 19k vehicles since launch or 12K globally so far in 2019 (see InsideEVs for I-Pace Sales numbers), the number of very vocal forum users in North America and the UK still doesn't show a massive failure rate on batteries. There have definitely been problems with some batteries, some safety features, come air conditioning units, etc., but it's bit strong to think that used I-Paces are likely to suffer from the major problems. I'm not sure what metrics you are looking at other than gut feel from the postings.

If you want to be more scientific, start a poll that focuses on major repairs or just those who have gone or are considering buy backs via the Lemon laws. Then we can look at the spread from within this small sample size.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A lot of the buybacks are just because Jaguar isn't ready for the kinds of repairs this car might need. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an I-Pace. I've considered getting a second one many a time.

·
Super Moderator
2,305 Posts
A lot of the buybacks are just because Jaguar isn't ready for the kinds of repairs this car might need. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an I-Pace. I've considered getting a second one many a time.
I could not agree more. My car would not be a lemon if the service had known how to perform the diagnostics without driving the car home two nights and slow charging twice, and replaced the defective cells with no delay. Everyone is still learning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bugs and other faults people are reporting here are a concern. Is buying a 2019 car then basically mean I am buying a car I cannot sell later?

I was actually getting this car as a stop gap until the Tesla Model Y Performance comes out. I sold our E63S sooner than expected because I got a good price. I have been riding in I-Pace models a lot (I use Havn car service when I travel to London and they use exclusively I Pace cars).

There’s a possibility we will like the car so much we will skip the Tesla, but I don’t want to count on that. Also I like the baby/pet heat protection feature in the Tesla.

BTW on the price, I talked to one dealer and was offered $18k off a new 2019 first edition as a first offer.

·
Super Moderator
2,305 Posts
If that FE has a good battery I would go for it.

The dealer can scan diagnostics with their OBD tool. Insist on getting the kWh capacity reading, or calculate it from current state of charge (SoC), which is expressed as a percentage and a charge number in kWh. For example, if the OBD tool shows 50% and 43 kWh you know that at 100% you'd have 86kWh, which is approximately what you want. [Yes, the OBD tool shows a greater kWh value than the API, who knows why]

As far as software bugs goes, the latest updates took care of the most annoying issues. I think infotainment and other software you notice is pretty stable now, and pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts