Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have come to an agreement to purchase a '19 HSE/First Edition ($88k msrp) with 3.6k miles on it for just under $58k. (After state and federal rebate/tax credit, that under %50k)!!
That all sounds good except that in checking the CARFAX there were TWO battery replacements -- one with only 21 miles on the odometer and the other when the vehicle was transferred to my local dealer (Bobby Rahal Jag/LR). The vehicle was originally delivered to San Jose in October '18 and was transferred to Penske in Cerritos in late December, which is when the first battery replacement occurred. It changed hands between a couple other dealers in Cali before making it's way to Rahal in March and getting its battery replaced the second time.

I'm sacrificing 18-months of the manufacturers warranty, so should these battery replacements raise a flag? I've looked around the forum a little but haven't seen anything that seems like a systematic issue with the battery or any recalls.

What do you folks think?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
456 Posts
If this were being sold as a "new" vehicle with full warranty, I would say go for, but make sure you get it back to the dealer immediately anything seems "wrong" with the battery system. If JLR won't honor a full 5yr warranty, I would still consider it a interesting deal, but make sure I get 3 1/2 yrs of solid care and maintainance on the battery system.
If two batteries have already failed, there may be something else wrong that is draining or compromising the battery. You should ask to see the shop history and ask why 2 batteries have failed. My gut tells me that if any problems have been identified and fixed, you would be getting a bargain. If they have not, you may have to deal with a lengthy time in the shop getting to the bottom of the issue - while driving a loaner. Either way you get a nice ride for a good price - just depends on how much possible hassle you are willing to put up with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Q, the car has never been titled, but for financing purposes it is considered a used car. It’s also kind of weird because any other time I’ve looked at a demo, the car would still come have come with a full factory warranty, but perhaps the clock started ticking when the batteries were replaced. The dealer said both of the replacements were for an “auxiliary” battery, not the main battery pack.

Thanks to this forum, I asked the dealer to make sure all software updates have been performed before I take delivery, and I am going to ask to see the shop history as you suggest!

It’s just too hard to pass up an almost 44% discount!

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Make sure they show you the readout from the pathfinder (their diagnostic tool) report on the battery (the main battery). It will give a State of Health percentage.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
456 Posts
Thanks Q, the car has never been titled, but for financing purposes it is considered a used car. It’s also kind of weird because any other time I’ve looked at a demo, the car would still come have come with a full factory warranty, but perhaps the clock started ticking when the batteries were replaced. The dealer said both of the replacements were for an “auxiliary” battery, not the main battery pack.

Thanks to this forum, I asked the dealer to make sure all software updates have been performed before I take delivery, and I am going to ask to see the shop history as you suggest!

That sounds promising. The "auxiliary" battery in question would be one of the regular 12v batteries. I seem to remember somewhere on this forum, somebody having an issue with one of these discharging and causing problems.
So long as the battery is not discharging while the car sits, you should be ok.

·
Registered
99 Posts

I bought a similar 19 FE with less than 5k miles a month ago. It too had 12v battery changed. It is also never titled so it supposedly qualify for the tax credit. The factory warranty started counting on the date when the deal put it as the demo and, in my case, it starts on June 2018, so I lost 21 months on the warranty. However, they made it a CPO, so it added a year and extended the warranty to 100,000 miles. I too took a chance as the price was too good to pass. So far so good, although I haven't droven as much as I really wanted. Maybe you can ask if an extended warranty can be added or make it a CPO. It may cost you a litter.
Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did car guys do before forums? You guys are great! I’ve been looking at this car for a month now but only today thought to look for a forum!

Definitely going to ask about CPO; they don’t offer it on any of the three ‘19 I-Pace Demos on their lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts