Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

Administrator
So being laid up with a mild case of Covid (thanks to throngs of unmasked morons at Frankfurt airport on Monday), I finally got around to installing @Ayepace 's solution (first post of this thread). Here are a few details of how I threaded the needle.

1. With a wire as fish tape I went straight up from the tow hook hole, avoiding the foam; notice how the cable points straight up in the picture
2. There was enough space to pull the fuse compartment right through, though I did open it up and took the fuse out to decrease its height
3. There was a convenient free bolt on the negative terminal, to which I attached the black wire
4. On the positive terminal, I attached the red one at the same bolt as ayepace, but for some reason mine already had a cable coming off that ... I wonder why that's different between our cars

Haven't tried it out yet, still need to buy a connector that fits my trickle charger. 馃嵑

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle tire
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Electrical wiring

Edit: It all works

Registered
Thanks. So this small device will only maintain and trickle charge the 12v battery. Here are a few more questions.

0) How long would it take for such a device to trickle charge the 12v battery back to life?
That depends on the current the device supplies and how dead the battery was.

1) When does I-pace normally charge the 12v battery? When driving, charging, waking up periodically when parked, or all the above?
It should charge the battery when needed for all of these conditions.

2) One would assume, normally, there is no need to connect such device to the car unless, maybe, when it is going to be parked for an extended period of time.
Even parked for an extended period of time, the 12v battery gets a charged from the traction battery, so you should not need to add a trickle charger (as opposed to an ICE car that cannot charge the 12v battery unless the engine is running). In practice, the software/control module that manages this can go wring and allow the battery to discharge, so having a trickle charger adds a bot of insurance.

3) Never the less, will connecting such device to the car increase the life of 12v battery?
4) Can one simple jump start the I-pace with an ICE car to get to the next stop?
That depends on the reason the battery dies in the first place. If the controller that recharges the 12v battery is the source of the problem, then a jump start may not help (in the same way that jumping car with a broken alternator won't help) as the battery will immediately get drained again and go dead.

5) Which device should we keep in the car to prepare for an emergency dealing of 12v battery problems?
I personally have a compact jump starter in the back. If the problem was a one-off issue where the battery was allowed to go dead, then a jump might get the car running again and presumably the car would then take over and charge the battery.

Thanks again

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
4. On the positive terminal, I attached the red one at the same bolt as ayepace, but for some reason mine already had a cable coming off that ... I wonder why that's different between our cars
It is a trick of lighting in my photo. The factory wire is under the added solid red wire.

Registered
Thanks.

Can you share your compact jumper starter information? I got confused and thought that trickle charger mentioned in #12 was meant to use to jump the car when the 12v is dead. Is yours similar to the one mentioned in #23? My understanding of the whole point of Ayepace 's solution is to make jump start or bring the12v back to life easier. For me, to understand how to jump start an I-pace in emergency is a key.

Thanks again.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have chargers that can connect to the cable and supply more than a trickle charge. I think they can go up to 8 amps (definitely 4 amps) and this may be able to get the car to power up enough to get the DC-DC converter to take over charging of 12V batteries from the traction battery. There are heavier duty cables and chargers that can be used with the concept of this thread.

Any of those lithium ion jump battery packs meant for ICE vehicles will work to jump the I-PACE 12V batteries. Clamp them on the positive post bus bar shown in the pictures and a body ground (or the plate shown in the pictures) to get power to the 12V system.

Registered
If you are talking about starting the car with a dead starter battery. My 14amp(220CCAmp) jumper battery had 15amp fuses in it that jump started my car ok after being connected up to the emergency battery for < 30 seconds. No accessories were turned on in the car (no radio, ventilation fan or seat heaters) from when I had last shut it down. However, within 2 weeks my Aux battery also failed and this caused the starter battery to blow my emergency battery's 25 amp fuses when trying to just use it on the starter battery. I had to jump the Aux battery from my wife's car and then could jump the stater battery with my 14 amp emergency battery.

Registered
I have chargers that can connect to the cable and supply more than a trickle charge. I think they can go up to 8 amps (definitely 4 amps) and this may be able to get the car to power up enough to get the DC-DC converter to take over charging of 12V batteries from the traction battery. There are heavier duty cables and chargers that can be used with the concept of this thread.

Any of those lithium ion jump battery packs meant for ICE vehicles will work to jump the I-PACE 12V batteries. Clamp them on the positive post bus bar shown in the pictures and a body ground (or the plate shown in the pictures) to get power to the 12V system.
What is the max amp your cable system can handle?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The cable I installed (linked to in the first post of the thread) comes with a 15A fuse.

Registered
I do not know the size wire, could be 16 or 18 gauge multi strand (which externally heats up slower). When I tried starting it with the 25 amp fuse, I was holding the wire to check for heat. When it blew the fuse after about 10seconds it was just starting to get warm. I am comfortable using the 30 amp fuse in it as long as I realize the complications of melting the wire after a minute or so. If I don't get the car started by then something else is wrong and I need to unplug it anyway.

Registered
Just got my paper work from the dealer for my battery changeouts and my electronic key problem. I had been waiting on the electronic key module to come in. It came in. So far, my electronic key has worked today! I included the paperwork for any who would like to see what it would cost if your warranty expires.

Font Parallel Pattern Number Symmetry
Font Monochrome Number Parallel Pattern
Font Parallel Number Pattern Rectangle

41 - 50 of 50 Posts