Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Using this 4 foot extension https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Connecters-Extension-Connector-Maintainer/dp/B079ZTBHYK

I'm now able to connect a battery maintainer for the 12V starter battery, and theoretically provide a 12V power source if the battery discharges too much.

We have several posts where the 12V battery has gone flat and doors won't unlock, etc.
Yes, there is the mechanical door lock behind the handle on the driver door and the frunk release in the front right footwell.
We've also seen where in one case the mechanical lock was missing after maintenance (service bulletin) repair was done to the driver door handle.

Being a pessimist, often with bad luck, I added this cable to allow attachment of a 12V external connection without the need to access the frunk or remove the central trim panel in the frunk.

I used a couple of pieces of baling wire as fish tape. I sent one piece up through the tow hook hole, past the foam, into the frunk area, hooked a second piece to it and pulled it down through the hole. I attached the extension cable to the 2nd baling wire piece and pulled the cable into the frunk. Attachment point were readily available on the battery connections. I only had to remove the 2 10mm nuts, attach the ring ends, and re-install the nuts.

The end hanging out of the hole above can be neatly tucked inside the hole without interfering with tow hook if that is ever needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
@Ayepace

Link the parts. The rest seems easy enough. I already have a battery tender for my motorcycle. This could come in handy for sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
@Ayepace

Link the parts. The rest seems easy enough. I already have a battery tender for my motorcycle. This could come in handy for sure.
Nevermind...big brother got it covered because i MOST DEFINITELY did NOT look for this today, but when I logged into Amazon to look this is what came up.

:oops::oops:o_O

At least they gave me a 10% off coupon for invading my thoughts. Going to start wearing aluminum hats!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nevermind...big brother got it covered because i MOST DEFINITELY did NOT look for this today, but when I logged into Amazon to look this is what came up.

View attachment 5638

:oops::oops:o_O

At least they gave me a 10% off coupon for invading my thoughts. Going to start wearing aluminum hats!!!!
Awesome! What is the name of the cable?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ran my charge lines up to the windshield drain tray. Ran a bicycle tube over the lines with small holes in the bottoms of the tubing for water drainage. A loop of the wire is loosely captured by tie raps, allowing pulling the connector out another 5 " when needed.
KIMG0467_01.jpeg KIMG0472.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 HSE First Edition
15 Posts
Using this 4 foot extension https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Connecters-Extension-Connector-Maintainer/dp/B079ZTBHYK

I'm now able to connect a battery maintainer for the 12V starter battery, and theoretically provide a 12V power source if the battery discharges too much.
I just bought one of these cables, and I already had a 750mA smart maintainer that I've used on ICE vehicles.

I need to leave the I-Pace for four months. Is there any harm in just leaving the smart charger connected for the entire time? Would there be any confusion introduced with the Battery Monitoring System or the state of the Aux battery?

·
Registered
2019 HSE First Edition
15 Posts
...and one other question.

Will a 750mA charger be sufficient to overcome the drains that are normally present in the 12v system?

·
Registered
2019 I-PACE
22 Posts
...and one other question.

Will a 750mA charger be sufficient to overcome the drains that are normally present in the 12v system?
Hi GoldRiver,
Can't say that I have kept my maintainer for several months, but I have left it connected for a week without issues on a couple of occasions. It was able to top off the battery. I just have a cheap 800mA unit (link below) so not much difference than your 750mA.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The plugs on my wiring harness were too large to fit through the tow hook hole, so I went with Trielectric's route except I'll be storing the plug in a different place under the removable cover near the windshield water fill point:

When I need to use the charger, I can run it along the gully for the hood strut and into the windshield drain tray:

The downside to this method is that you'd still need to use mechanical frunk release in the event of a 12v battery failure, but this chunky wiring harness didn't leave me with many options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts