Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came back from an 8 day vacation to find my I Pace would not even turn on. After reading the many messages on this forum (thank you everyone who posted), and a little watching on Youtube, it seemed likely my 12 volt battery had died. Called Jag Roadside assistance, they sent a truck the next morning, the tech removed the plastic cover inside the frunk, jumped it, and I drove it my local service station. They tested the battery two hours later and said, yup, it was dead. They stuck in a replacement and, knock on wood, all is good - drove it about 65 miles after the new battery was installed and no problems.

I would have gone to a Jag dealer to have it installed, but my local one said it's only tech trained on the I Pace was out for 5 weeks after surgery. My next nearest dealer was about 40 mins away - just didn't seem like it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,856 Posts
No special I-PACE training is required for 12V battery replacement as far as I know. You should request that the Jag dealer reimburse you for the battery since it is under warranty provided you haven't exceeded 60K miles.

Jaguar needs to clarify (or establish a policy) with the dealers that only the high voltage systems require special training. The basics of 12V battery replacement, using Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud to retrieve fault codes and diagnose issues, and body/suspension stuff really could be done by any competent tech.

The roadside assistance should have towed it to the nearest Jaguar dealer that could work on it (the one 40 miles away).

·
Registered
10 Posts
A good repair shop should do a battery test and document that in TopiX.
This is how it looks in TopiX for my I-Pace where the 12V battery also died after 2.5 years.
Rectangle Font Magenta Number Circle

·
Registered
572 Posts
@JJinMD did you ever ask your dealer about ECU update to prevent 12v battery issue before it dies ? My battery is still the factory one (Oct 2018) and no issue so far. The 12v in my 2014 Leaf is still the factory one as well, after 8 years…

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I bought lugs and will attach them to some wire and to the battery. Then I can have a tender.

·
Registered
559 Posts
No special I-PACE training is required for 12V battery replacement as far as I know. You should request that the Jag dealer reimburse you for the battery since it is under warranty provided you haven't exceeded 60K miles.

Jaguar needs to clarify (or establish a policy) with the dealers that only the high voltage systems require special training. The basics of 12V battery replacement, using Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud to retrieve fault codes and diagnose issues, and body/suspension stuff really could be done by any competent tech.

The roadside assistance should have towed it to the nearest Jaguar dealer that could work on it (the one 40 miles away).
when I took an I pace in for windshield and HUD issues they required an I pace tech to work on it as well.

I suspect dealers are being extra cautious.

I got a scrape on my car door and the said the cost to repair it is high because the whole vehicle needs to be powered down to do a paint job on a door panel. That struck me as silly. I can’t imagine someone designed an EV where the door panels carry electricity.

·
Administrator
3,049 Posts
I got a scrape on my car door and the said the cost to repair it is high because the whole vehicle needs to be powered down to do a paint job on a door panel. That struck me as silly. I can’t imagine someone designed an EV where the door panels carry electricity.
That's complete crap. I was rear-ended in my first I-Pace and the repairs were extensive. The body shop did not have to "power down" the vehicle. What does that even mean?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wish I still had the estimate. I’ll try and dig it up later. Took it to three Jaguar certified body shops. Two said it needed to be powered down at an additional cost of several hundred dollars (including the dealer)

total crap.

I ended up just living with the scratches, or patina. Depends upon perspective!

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,856 Posts
when I took an I pace in for windshield and HUD issues they required an I pace tech to work on it as well.

I suspect dealers are being extra cautious.

That does not make sense. One can remove a any door or the tailgate with the only electrical requirement being to disconnect the negative lead to the starter battery (and auxiliary battery if equipped). Nothing about powering down the HV system.

Body repairs that require messing with the HV system or welding on the vehicle do require powering down the vehicle.

A complete HV power down requires (summarizing without a lot of details) disconnecting the 12V system, turning the HV service disconnect key to "off" and removing it (its under the back seat), disconnecting the rear HV traction system from the battery, and disconnecting the HV connections at the front of the HV battery. There are steps to lock out connections and validate that HV has dissipated and not present at the various cabling connections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's complete crap. I was rear-ended in my first I-Pace and the repairs were extensive. The body shop did not have to "power down" the vehicle. What does that even mean?

It's an aluminum body...so I don't understand why the car needs to be powered down...but I'm not an EE, so what do I know...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@JJinMD did you ever ask your dealer about ECU update to prevent 12v battery issue before it dies ? My battery is still the factory one (Oct 2018) and no issue so far. The 12v in my 2014 Leaf is still the factory one as well, after 8 years…
I'll mention it..when I get an appointment in 5 weeks and the service tech is back from surgical recovery (sounds about as long as a typical wait for the repair of one's I Pace!! ;)).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts