Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

12v Battery Drain/Dead

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ayepace 
#1 ·
Aloha:

I just purchased an I-Pace in the midwest and I am shipping it across country to Long Beach, CA for ocean transport to Honolulu. I got a call from the transporter that they tried to unload the car in Long Beach but the car battery was dead. I was able to walk him through opening the bonnet and jumping the 12v battery. The car came alive with 177 mile range. I initially thought maybe he left the car "on" in the transport. He was able to unload the car.

My question is, how long can I expect the car's 12v battery to last undriven? I used to have to plug a battery tender into another car I had as the alarm system in the car would drain the battery in 30 days.

Any advice appreciated.

#2 ·
Here's an indirect answer to your question as you may need to contact the dealer for a recommendation.
There are several of us that have gone on 2 week+ long trips and come back with not 12V battery and no evidence of traction battery drain.
There have been a few folks that experienced unexpected 12V battery drain. Each of these required some sort of service from the dealer. The 12V battery should last at least a few weeks.

#3 ·
Aloha Aloha! Welcome!

I would insist on a new 12V battery upon receiving the car ... the fact that it drained may mean that it was a bad battery, and if it wasn't bad to start with it's probably bad (or at least compromised) now that it has been drained for an unknowable amount of time. (Or is there no dealer involved on your end?)

#4 ·
I agree about 12V batteries not having as long of a life once they get to a depleted state even if they do recharge. I had the 12V battery in my Range Rover replaced recently. It had a rough time last winter (it did get a bit cooler last year). The battery was good enough to start the vehicle, but not good enough to allow stop/start to work.

Would that be a recommendation for both 12V batteries or just the larger one? We don't know if one depleted or both of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.