Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The article actually boasts 25% boost in I-Pace range to over 300 mi in the company's e4 demonstrator, but if you read the article, they break down the gains by system component, which is interesting. About 6% is from re-engineered propulsion, and 2% from weight reduction - both obviously inapplicable to existing models. The remaining 16% comes from further increase in use of battery capacity and battery battery management software (12%), as well as use of AI in operating strategy for terrain and traffic (4%). So, in theory, this latter 12-16% could be passed on to current models via software, should Jaguar be so inclined (Magna Steyr developed these gains internally, on research not commissioned by Jaguar). Hmmmm...

·
Registered
668 Posts
This would be wonderful

With JLR going in house for the other EVs, do you see this technology from Magna coming to the I-Pace?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has to. Buyers want to see manufacturers committed to their EVs, a la Tesla. Part of the EV appeal is the ongoing improvements to the car, the #1 being range. JLR took a strong first step with the range improvement updates earlier this year, but they cannot stop there if they want consumers to buy into their electric XJ, J-Pace, etc. Furthermore, the software enhancements likely have commonality among vehicles such that the improvements attained on one can likely be ported (albeit with changes and testing) to another platform. I would expect we do see further improvements (along the lines of the Magna Steyr specs above due to software only) on the existing I-Pace later this year. Another 10%-16% would boost the I-Pace range to 275-292 mi, further signalling committment to the brand's EV effort. Moreover, it would improve the value of the 1,000 vehicles sitting on dealer lots right now and making the I-Pace more competitive with the lower-priced Model Y, which is definitely going to eat into all other brands' EV sales going forward.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts