Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!

Just got a 2020 iPace this month, traded in my F Type for it and have absolutely no regrets and love it!

However, I’ve come into a little bit of an issue with charging. The horrible trickle charger just isn’t doing the trick and it turns out I don’t have any room left on the panel for a dedicated EV charger (and don’t really want to spend the $1,000+ for a new panel and outlet install). I was asking the electrician if I can use an extension cord from my 30v dryer with a safe splitter to charge level 2 and he said that’s a good way to burn my house down.

Now, I’m looking at getting one of the 16amp 110v level 1 chargers. I’m curious - will this charge the vehicle any faster than the stock one? I can’t seem to find the amps of the stock trickle charger and I can’t seem to find if the car will limit all level 1 chargers to a certain amps.

Any advice? Thanks everyone and sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
958 Posts
Hello all!!

Just got a 2020 iPace this month, traded in my F Type for it and have absolutely no regrets and love it!

However, I’ve come into a little bit of an issue with charging. The horrible trickle charger just isn’t doing the trick and it turns out I don’t have any room left on the panel for a dedicated EV charger (and don’t really want to spend the $1,000+ for a new panel and outlet install). I was asking the electrician if I can use an extension cord from my 30v dryer with a safe splitter to charge level 2 and he said that’s a good way to burn my house down.

Now, I’m looking at getting one of the 16amp 110v level 1 chargers. I’m curious - will this charge the vehicle any faster than the stock one? I can’t seem to find the amps of the stock trickle charger and I can’t seem to find if the car will limit all level 1 chargers to a certain amps.

Any advice? Thanks everyone and sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
ADVICE: Spend the money on a new panel - unless you are rarely driving the car (in which case you won't get to enjoy it very much).
MY2021 has upgraded L1charging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ADVICE: Spend the money on a new panel - unless you are rarely driving the car (in which case you won't get to enjoy it very much).
MY2021 has upgraded L1charging.
ok gotcha, so, the 2020 is capped at a certain amperage for any L1 charger? So if the one it comes with is 4amps and I get a 16amp it won’t make any difference?

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is a smart splitter on Amazon so you can share your dryer outlet with your car. It will power one at the time but not both.
It has a very good reviews on YouTube too.
Just can't remember the name right now.

·
Administrator
3,049 Posts
If you're into EVs for the long haul it makes total sense to upgrade your panel now. Unless you stretched your budget for the I-Pace acquisition and have to skimp on everything else now that you've thrown so much money at this amazing beast you should upgrade. That grand is in the noise.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,856 Posts
There is a smart splitter on Amazon so you can share your dryer outlet with your car. It will power one at the time but not both.
It has a very good reviews on YouTube too.
Just can't remember the name right now.
Are you thinking of Splitvolt? Search for "splitvolt ev charger" on Amazon. Several outlet configurations available.

I'm with sciencegeek on this. Spend the money now to do the job properly and install an outlet. Does it really require replacing the whole panel? Can a daughter panel be added to supply the circuit?
Put one in that can support a 50A circuit (minimum) and you'll be set for cars being built with newer on-board chargers more capable than the I-PACE (currently).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you thinking of Splitvolt? Search for "splitvolt ev charger" on Amazon. Several outlet configurations available.

I'm with sciencegeek on this. Spend the money now to do the job properly and install an outlet. Does it really require replacing the whole panel? Can a daughter panel be added to supply the circuit?
Put one in that can support a 50A circuit (minimum) and you'll be set for cars being built with newer on-board chargers more capable than the I-PACE (currently).
yeah…I know. Only issue is I don’t know how long until I sell this house. Could be sooner than later. I’m having another person come look at it this week and hopefully I’ll have a solution to do an adjoining panel.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I am going to leave the re-wiring issue to the professionals. If you just needed more length a J1772 long will get you another 20'. However, the best solution is a dedicated circuit for your I-Pace. If however you just want short term and need only 20' it is a consideration. I carry my J1772 long in my frunk so I can work around an ICE blocking a Level 2 charger.

·
Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
169 Posts
The EVSE that came with mine was labeled as 10 amps. A 16 amp 120 volt would make at least a 60% difference assuming the car will accept it, which it should.

·
Registered
2019 I-PACE
44 Posts
Typical 120V US standard outlets and breakers are 15A max with a derating constant usage at 12A. Just be careful if you are getting a 16A EVSE (constant derated limit) that your breaker and wiring are rated for 20A. Otherwise, your breakers will trip. You prob are aware of it already... :) You can check in your breaker box if they are 20A or 15A.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm skeptical that a 16A charger that has a NEMA 5-15 plug on it is really going to be faster. I can't see how they could reasonably design it (or get it certified by UL, for example) to draw more amps than the receptacle is rated to deliver. A 5-20 receptacle could deliver the required 16 constant amps over 110v, in which case the EVSE would have a 20 amp plug (where one prong is turned 90 degrees from the other).

·
Registered
169 Posts
@kkemp I was thinking of using a proper 5-20 EVSE plugged into a properly installed 5-20 socket on a dedicated circuit breaker. The pre-owned house I purchased had a 5-20 outlet on a dedicated circuit breaker installed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There's three charging speeds, as far as I understand:

Slow
When using the trickle charger, up to 3 kW

Fast
If you install a home charger unit Type 2, works with up to 7.4 kW (or 11 kW with 3-phase for 2021 onwards)
A 22 kW capable charger can only be utilized with 7 kW, but I suppose you could charge 3 cars simultaneoously
(Or two cars pulling 22 kW for 2021 onwards)

Rapid
When you use a CCS charger which can provide 100 kW

·
Registered
169 Posts
@norfrode You must 240v as your standard house plug. Here it is 120v so we get:

Extra slow (commonly called level 1 here) which is 1.2 kW with the Jag supplied EVSE, 1.44 kW with most other EVSE or 1.92 kW if you use a rare equipment (but still available, for example Tesla sells an adapter for their EVSE).

Fast (commonly called level 2 here) that is similar to what you have.

Rapid (commonly called level 3 here) that uses a different CCS plug with the same speed as yours.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My wife's BMW X5 45e has a selection on to select a higher level of amps charging on a level 1 charger than the 11 amps, that is the standard, for a level 1 charger. The Jaguar does not have this selection ability on it. Not matter how big and powerful a level 1 charger you hook up to it, it will charge at just over 11 [email protected] As for your home panel, my feeder panel slots were all full (I added solar panels, tub heater, 120vac auto charger plug via 12awg and a 240vac charge plug). I added a pool and needed a pump supply, so they disconnected my well supply and put in a bigger breaker for it, then ran a wire to a new 4 slot panel on my deck. Then they ran another wire back to the main panel to repower the well, via connections in the bottom of my main panel. There is always room for another panel!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well… today I ordered a 5-20 adapter for my Tesla UMC (what they call an EVSE). I will use that and my TeslaTap and report back in a week or so if it will charge the Ipace faster than my 12 amp 120v one that came with my X5 40e. I am trying to figure out the best way to measure if it is getting 16 amps. I could compare what the phone app reports but I don’t think that is precise enough. My second best option is to see if I can find a place for my multimeter clamp to fit around a wire inside my fuse panel. Otherwise, I am left with shutting off all of the other breakers and read what my electric company’s meter shows.

Nothing like spending money to satisfy my curiosity

1 - 20 of 33 Posts