Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! New 2019 Corris Gray First Edition owner here, trying to decide on a charging solution for home. Have any of you tried this?

https://www.quick220.com/220_catalog/20-ampere-systems-locking.html

The website says that you plug two different 110v power supplies into their box, and it then converts it into a single 220v supply at up to 20amps that certain EVSE’s can plug into. It seems to be super cheap versus having an electrician wire the house, plus it’s portable so I can bring it with me when I need to. However, want to first get your thoughts? Doesn’t seem to be a well-known company.

·
Registered
522 Posts
No. Will never meet code or get any type of UL safety listing. Besides that it will limit you to 12 or 15 amps charging... too slow. Will not work on GFCI outlet. Will not even work in your garage if the outlets are on the same branch or if the branch circuits are are on the same bus.

Get the right stuff and wire it properly. The included L1 will get you maybe 20 to 30 miles per day until you get this resolved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Will never meet code or get any type of UL safety listing. Besides that it will limit you to 12 or 15 amps charging... too slow. Will not work on GFCI outlet. Will not even work in your garage if the outlets are on the same branch or if the branch circuits are are on the same bus.

Get the right stuff and wire it properly. The included L1 will get you maybe 20 to 30 miles per day until you get this resolved.
Time2Roll, thank you for the quick reply. Is your response based on factual certainty or a wise assumption? If a wise assumption, i would agree with you. However, this is directly from their website concerning safety, and it is on a page dedicated to using their device for EV’s:

Safety and Certification. The Quick 220® Power Supplies meet the fire and safety standards of UL (Underwriters Laboratories), CSA (Canadian Standards Association), and OSHA (United States Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration.)
A. UL and CSA publish product safety and testing standards for use in the United States and Canada. Quick 220® Power Supplies conform to UL Standard for Safety Power Units (UL1012) and to CSA Standard for General Use Power Supplies (CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 107.1.)
B. Qualification of testing laboratories in the US is under OSHA, which recognizes about 15 labs to test products. Intertek Testing Services, an OSHA recognized lab, tested and certified the Quick 220® Power Supplies to both UL and CSA standards. Additionally, Quick 220® Systems is inspected quarterly by Intertek to assure continuing compliance with the standards. Quick 220® Power Supplies are listed In the Directory of Intertek Certified Products and bear the Intertek "Listed" Certification Mark for both the US and Canada.
C. UL, CSA, OSHA, and the Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories concern themselves with the safety of products that are brought into the home or business. The NEC (National Electrical Code) addresses the permanent wiring of buildings and other facilities. In general, if it is in the walls or a permanent part of the facility, NEC defines how to do it safely. If you can plug it in, then UL, CSA, OSHA and the testing laboratories address product safety.
2. Quick 220® Functions. Some of the contributors to the discussion were uncertain about the operation of the Quick 220® Power Supply. Here is a summary.
A. A double pole circuit breaker is mounted in the side of the case, recessed to prevent accidental on/off switching. It is either a 15 or 20 ampere breaker, depending on the model Quick 220® Power Supply chosen. The breaker protects the vehicle, the Quick 220® Power Supply, and the building wiring. Incidentally, the branch circuit breakers in the building perform the same functions at a different level. When extension cords are used, the user should use electrical cords of appropriate gauge for the ampere load. This is detailed in the instructions.
B. The Quick 220® Power Supply has internal safety interlocks that function as follows:
a. No power is available at the 240 volt outlet until BOTH 120 volt power cords are plugged into 120 volt outlets that are electrically out of phase. Should one of the 120 volt power cords lose power or become disconnected, ALL power is immediately cut off from 240 volt outlet. This protects the user and the vehicle from the effects of the vehicle receiving the wrong voltage by mistake or circumstance.
b. Until a 120 volt power cord is connected to a 120 volt electrical source, it is electrically isolated from the electrical circuits of the Quick 220® Power Supply. This protects the user from accidental shock through the exposed plug contacts.
c. Should one of the 120 volt supply outlets be wired incorrectly and have the hot and neutral lines reversed, the Quick 220® Power Supply prevents any electricity from being connected to the 240 volt outlet. This is to prevent damage to the vehicle and any other consequences of low voltage.
C. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI or GFI) . A Quick 220® Power Supply will trip GFCI’s, which are typically found in wet areas, such as kitchens and bathrooms. One should select electrical circuits in areas of the building that do not have GFCI’s. An outlet tester is supplied with every Quick 220® Power Supply that will quickly identify GFCI controlled outlets.
D. Find the out-of-phase 120 volt circuit. Connect the first power cord of the Quick 220® Power Supply to a convenient 120 volt outlet. Then, test different outlets with the second power cord until the amber light on the front panel illuminates; plug in the second power cord. Begin using the 208/240 volt outlet of the Quick 220® Power Supply. About half the outlets in a building will be out-of-phase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the link to their part of the website dedicated to EV’s, which is what made me consider this as possibly a legitimate solution. Also, regarding charging time, 16amps charging speed at 220V is about 8 -10 miles per hour, correct? That would mean when i plug in around 6 and unplug around 5 the next morning, after 11 hours, i would have charged up around 100 miles. That is the perfect amount that i need, and this seems to be a solution that would work for housing restricted by installing 220v due to being in a rental. Since it is UL certified and they have a 1 year warranty and there are YouTube videos of EV drivers of Leafs using this solution, I thought it would probably work for our I-Pace’s as well.

That is my thought process! Looking forward to hearing the community’s thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
Greetings! New 2019 Corris Gray First Edition owner here, trying to decide on a charging solution for home. Have any of you tried this?

https://www.quick220.com/220_catalog/20-ampere-systems-locking.html

The website says that you plug two different 110v power supplies into their box, and it then converts it into a single 220v supply at up to 20amps that certain EVSE’s can plug into. It seems to be super cheap versus having an electrician wire the house, plus it’s portable so I can bring it with me when I need to. However, want to first get your thoughts? Doesn’t seem to be a well-known company.
I personally wouldn’t rely on something like this for long term use. Keep in mind you need two separate 110v outlets on separate circuits. It is not uncommon to have several outlets, in adjoining rooms, on a single circuit, so you would also need to run extension cords to reach separate circuited outlets.

Depending on the distance to the panel, installing a dedicated 220-240v circuit may not be that expensive. I installed my own, material costs were just over $200.

I know you just bought in CA. You should contact your retailer as others are reporting the CA retailers are giving away free EVSEs and reimbursing up to $1500 on install... and mysteriously all installs seem to be quoted at $1500...

·
Registered
145 Posts
[/QUOTE]Depending on the distance to the panel, installing a dedicated 220-240v circuit may not be that expensive. I installed my own, material costs were just over $200. [/QUOTE]

Agreed. Had mine installed back in September. $600 for parts and labor (junction box in basement ~40ft from garage location of charger)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I made a dedicated dual-bus outlet in my garage that looks like a 4-outlet 5-20 box (120v quad box). The left "hot" are on one bus, the right hot are on the other. So all four outlets can be used as normal 15/20 amp 120v outlets, but it's controlled by two dedicated 20a breakers. Then I made Y-pigtails that turns it into 6-20 240v or not-to-code 5-20 running no neutral, and dual hots at 240v. This is because Chevy Volts will accept 100-260 volt inputs and their EVSE is a normal 5-15 plug.
But I only use this one for Chevy Volt cars or 120v high demand devices like 120v compressors or welders.

Right next to it is a 14-50 with a JuiceBox 32a on the wall with a cable holder.

I do not suggest the quad 120v outlet method, but I do know when it's done correctly, it's safe.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Pretty fast, educated and defensive reply from the OP. Almost like a pitch for the product.

Do as you will, I don't recommend the Quick 220. At least verify your expected electrical connection before you spend the money. Best to have an electrician help evaluate and may as well give you an estimate for a new and properly rated 240v circuit.

Take the high road. The view is better.

·
Registered
902 Posts
This is a half-assed solution at best. There are lots of EV charging station subsidies. Take advantage of one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
There are lots of EV charging station subsidies. Take advantage of one.
That depends on where you live. In CA, the taxpayers seem to like to pay money to get subsidies. Around here, not one cent is available. No Jaguar charger and installation offer. No Amazon arranged installation available. Nothing. We're on our own plus starting today a $200/year payment to the state for the privilege to use the roads with an EV.

As for the device, if I read it correctly, "To 4800 watts at 240 volts." That's not what you'd get with a good true 240V charger on a 30A, 40A or 50A circuit.

As stated above, invest properly in a 240V circuit and charging solution to be happiest with your I-pace.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All, thanks for the feedback! Based on your recommendations I have decided not to go with the quick 220v converter due to safety and agreement that it would be a “half-assed” solution with long cords running and sneaking around the house. . I have been doing more research and found this: this seems much more permanent, neat, and safe. What do you guys think? https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddys/products/dryer-buddy-4-30a-240v-splitter-5ft-cable-nema-10-30-plug-one-10-30-outlet-one-14-50-outlet

This would allow me to buy a EVSE that supplies 24amp 220-240volt power on my dryer’s 30amp receptacle. The dryer outlet is located right next to my garage.

For everyone asking why I don’t install a proper port....in a rental and can’t. 😞

·
Registered
98 Posts
220 all the way

Check your state. Georgia Power gave me a $250 home and $500 business rebate check to install 220. That covers your install fee.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Of course you can just plug an EVSE into the dryer outlet if you don't use the connector for a dryer.
Or you can swap plugs manually as needed. Much rather have this Dryer Buddy over the Quick 220. I would tend to get the Plus-Auto option.

Clipper Creek LCS-30 EVSE would work well in this position. I no longer see Clipper Creek 10-30 plug option but you could put a plug on the hardwire model or get the 14-50. ~$500

Have you talked to your landlord? If it was one of my rentals I would set you up. Unfortunately most probably will not allow and will not spend a nickle.

·
Registered
902 Posts
All, thanks for the feedback! Based on your recommendations I have decided not to go with the quick 220v converter due to safety and agreement that it would be a “half-assed” solution with long cords running and sneaking around the house. . I have been doing more research and found this: this seems much more permanent, neat, and safe. What do you guys think? https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddys/products/dryer-buddy-4-30a-240v-splitter-5ft-cable-nema-10-30-plug-one-10-30-outlet-one-14-50-outlet

This would allow me to buy a EVSE that supplies 24amp 220-240volt power on my dryer’s 30amp receptacle. The dryer outlet is located right next to my garage.

For everyone asking why I don’t install a proper port....in a rental and can’t. 😞
That seems reasonable. Not optimal, but it could be much worse. I like that it cuts off the EV charging when the dryer is on. Just be sure to set your EV charger to 24amps and make sure it can run on three wires. I think most if not all do. I am not an electrician, so don't take my word for it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In the few weeks between getting the I-pace and installing a 14-50R outlet in my garage, I plugged my Juicebox Pro 40 into my dryer outlet (not too far from attached garage) using an adapter cable (also from Juicebox) to mate its 14-50R plug to my dryer 10-30 outlet. The Juicebox was told about the 30A circuit so it didn't expect too much.

Yes, it required manual swapping of plugs but that was not a problem since it was not going to be my permanent solution.

Also note that the Juicebox actually uses 3 wires per its documentation.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Dryer outlets are not made for repeated plugging and unplugging. A few times, like you describe, probably won't matter. However, many times, like using this as a permanent solution, would be bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts