Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car for a 20 mile journey with 150 miles on the display. Pulled back into my garage with the range at 5 miles and dropping 1 mile per 10 seconds. Got it in the garage at 0 miles.

Plugged it in and got this error message. Any advice?

·
Registered
790 Posts
What was the last update you had?
Have you tried using the level 1 charger?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was in the dealer a week ago and had all the software updates. I did try the level 1 charger in the boot and it does the same thing. I have two level two chargers in my garage. One is a new ChargePoint for the iPace. The other is a Nissan charger for my Leaf. All exhibit the same behavior.

It was very interesting to see the range drop so quickly. From about 25 miles (when noticed it) to 0 was about 5 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
This is not something you're likely to figure out yourself ... dealer will read the OBD codes and hopefully they'll be truthful with you as to the nature of the problem. Best of luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had it towed to the dealer today. They never called me when it arrived (which is expected given the level of service I've experienced so far).

I hope it's as simple as some type of charger mechanism.

Interestingly, it went in last week for the all the software updates...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah, that's likely not likely going to be a quick fix, sorry. Sounds like something shorted, drained the battery and you can't charge because you can't get any voltage to the battery (due to the short).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Dealer took car and plugged it into Level 3 charger and it took the charge. They are testing it now to see if the battery drains. I asked them to try charging with the Level 2 charger (for reasons below).

It is my understanding that the level 2 charger is just a voltage/current source and the internal inverter in the car converters the AC to DC in the battery. A Level 3 charger is a DC charger and supplies DC to the battery (no car inverter is used). Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes sounds like the in-car charger failed. As you guessed, a Direct Charger bypasses that charger. Shame it is so expensive to put a Direct Charger in. I looked into buying one and the cheapest I could find was $10K and I was going to have to buy a new transformer for my block, increase my service and pull larger cables to the house. I'm clearly not doing that. Best of luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took the car for a 20 mile journey with 150 miles on the display. Pulled back into my garage with the range at 5 miles and dropping 1 mile per 10 seconds. Got it in the garage at 0 miles.

Plugged it in and got this error message. Any advice?

View attachment 3761
View attachment 3762
I had a similar experience where I had a full charge, drove 40 miles and my battery range said 76 miles remaining. I found a public charging station and got my range back to 140 miles, drove the same 40 miles home and five miles from home it said I had 25 miles of range left, drove one block, and it dropped to zero, powered into low mode and completely freaked me out. I managed to get home and unlike your experience, I had no problem charging. Took it into the dealer and found out that four of my cells were bad and needed replacing. Took 2.5 weeks but it seems to be working fine (not that I have anywhere to drive right now).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Follow up. Received word from the dealer that they were able to reproduce the battery draining problem. They have "opened a ticket with Jaguar" whatever that means. Now I'm just waiting.

If anyone has advice on what I should be asking/saying to the dealer, please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
Ask them for specifics about the problem. Is it a consumer that's draining the battery? Is there something wrong with the battery itself? Etc. The fact that they need Jaguar engineers' help means that it's not a straight-forward issue that they could fix themselves.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It could be a type of repair that Jaguar requires a Jaguar tech second opinion in order to make it a warranty repair. The dealer tech may have truly identified the problem, but in order to keep warranty costs in check Jaguar is prudent to have a second level of checking before authorizing the repair. It reduces some unnecessary or unsuccessful repairs and customer dissatisfaction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update. Jaguar dealer called to let me know the battery needs to be replaced. They estimated 3 weeks to receive and install the new battey.

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
Oh ouch. Mine was out of commission for three months because of this. Time to ask your dealer some probing questions:
Is this a full battery replacement (unusual) or will the dealer take apart the existing battery and replace individual cells (usual)?
1. If the former, great.
2. If the latter, ask them if they've ever done the procedure.
2.a. If yes, great, perhaps the three week estimate is correct.
2.b. If no ... hmmm ... will take a bit longer because they may need quality instruction from JLR.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts