I-Pace Test Drive - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

I-Pace Test Drive

Well I finally got to test drive an I-pace. Luckily, it was a First Edition which is the model I’ve ordered. I was a bit put off when they delayed my delivery until December, but driving it put any doubts I was having to bed! Wow wow wow! This car is amazing. I truly loved it. Acceleration was mind blowing. The raw numbers just don’t do it justice. Really pins you back in your seat and just takes your breath away. Cornering is incredible. I started off wimping out because I couldn’t believe a big car could corner like that but quickly gained confidence. It drives like a much smaller car.

Interior finish was superb, and I couldn’t see any flaws in the panel gaps. The one I drove had the 22” wheels and it looked amazing. So I had to amend my order to include those wheels. They look spectacular. The car really suits them. The one I drove was black, and it looked stunning but I’m sticking with my Corris grey order. All told, it really settled my mind. I have chosen the right car. I just can’t wait for December now!!
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:13 PM

Awesome to hear and thanks for posting. Another recent post describes only being provided a ride-along opportunity. Would you be willing to share more about your understanding of the availability of test drives (I presume you're in the States)?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Guy

He is in the UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 PM

Ah. Thank you.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshdarnit View Post
Acceleration was mind blowing. The raw numbers just dont do it justice. Really pins you back in your seat and just takes your breath away. Cornering is incredible. I started off wimping out because I couldnt believe a big car could corner like that but quickly gained confidence.
If you haven't had a test drive in a Tesla I recommend that you do. I'm not wanting you to buy one, but I think the comparison would be interesting and Tesla Sales won't be giving you the hard sell that dealer-franchises do - although having a reason why you would not be buying "yet" might shorten the conversation ... The Jag is mid 4S 0-60 I think? whereas the Model-S is high 2S and launch is a proper roller-coaster type feel (different money for the top-end Model-S and the Jag of course, so not a fair comparison other than "just having done it" )

I reckon that all these "Sports Electric Salons" are going to be similarly astonishing to ICE drivers (of the PetrolHead flavour), and probably worth having a comparison point (now that there is more than one to choose from). I think the Tesla "wallows" when pushed (and yet it gets round corners faster than it feels to me that it will be comfortable with [low centre of gravity]), bur my comparison-point is different as I come from smaller hatch - RS4 and the like - and my in-the-garage toy is a Lotus-7 kit thingie with 300 BPH Rover V8 ... which isn't anything like driving an EV either! albeit also a low 3Sec 0-60
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:11 AM

Hi, newly signed up, but I have been monitoring the threads for a couple of months. Just wanted to alert that Jaguar dealers in Carlsbad, CA and San Diego, CA have the first editions in for test drives for just a few days, I think until Sept 5th. I test drove it today and it is as nice as the reviews say, very quiet on the inside and having been in Teslas, the interior of the IPace is much nicer. And quick, the salesman let me test the acceleration and the car really pulls off the line, next thing I am looking down and having to slow down. Anyway, best you call the dealers to schedule an appt as they were busy today in Carlsbad.
I-PaceDave likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanstein View Post
Hi, newly signed up, but I have been monitoring the threads for a couple of months. Just wanted to alert that Jaguar dealers in Carlsbad, CA and San Diego, CA have the first editions in for test drives for just a few days, I think until Sept 5th. I test drove it today and it is as nice as the reviews say, very quiet on the inside and having been in Teslas, the interior of the IPace is much nicer. And quick, the salesman let me test the acceleration and the car really pulls off the line, next thing I am looking down and having to slow down. Anyway, best you call the dealers to schedule an appt as they were busy today in Carlsbad.
Thanks for the heads up. I will be heading down Carlsbad on Monday.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaOwner View Post
If you haven't had a test drive in a Tesla I recommend that you do. I'm not wanting you to buy one, but I think the comparison would be interesting and Tesla Sales won't be giving you the hard sell that dealer-franchises do - although having a reason why you would not be buying "yet" might shorten the conversation ... The Jag is mid 4S 0-60 I think? whereas the Model-S is high 2S and launch is a proper roller-coaster type feel (different money for the top-end Model-S and the Jag of course, so not a fair comparison other than "just having done it" )

I reckon that all these "Sports Electric Salons" are going to be similarly astonishing to ICE drivers (of the PetrolHead flavour), and probably worth having a comparison point (now that there is more than one to choose from). I think the Tesla "wallows" when pushed (and yet it gets round corners faster than it feels to me that it will be comfortable with [low centre of gravity]), bur my comparison-point is different as I come from smaller hatch - RS4 and the like - and my in-the-garage toy is a Lotus-7 kit thingie with 300 BPH Rover V8 ... which isn't anything like driving an EV either! albeit also a low 3Sec 0-60
I feel you are ok balanced in your posts, but I still feel that you believe/hope Tesla is better than I-Pace? I have had test drives in both and they are both good cars. I don't yet own an I-Pace, and might even cancel it because of delay, so I don't feel biased the one way or another. Tesla might be quicker, but 1,5 second 0-60 mph is hardly a deciding difference in this segment? The Tesla is maybe more "techy", but do you think the Tesla is more comfortable than the I-Pace and with more exclusive interior? Why do you care if people buy a Tesla or an I-Pace? "Better" is subjective from person to person. I know you like to write, but I don't want a big discussion.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:08 AM

And how "hard" Tesla are selling compared to Jaguar I'm not sure, but I guess they are interrested in selling cars also.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrakso View Post
Why do you care if people buy a Tesla or an I-Pace?
I don't. We are a very Eco family, the sooner everyone has an EV the happier I will be.

Quote:
I know you like to write, but I don't want a big discussion.
Tough Far too many people make decisions on far too little data. Well, that's my opinion anyway

Quote:
I still feel that you believe/hope Tesla is better than I-Pace?
Actually I don't hope that its better. I have no strong feelings on that score. I am very (VERY) sceptical that a Brand new EV from established ICE company will be superb. Might have great coach building, or an amazing dealer network, but I think chances are high that there will be surprises on EV drive-train/efficiency/battery-degradation.

There are some things that are important to me - such as rapid charging - and some things that are not important - such as the Ultimate Fit & Finish. Other folk will have different prioritise of course. I rocked up on this forum for two reasons: #1 curious to see how Jag gets on, its good to see a worthy long-range contender (where is everyone else in this race?? Getting yet-another-concept-rollout ready I expect ... ) and #2: to impart knowledge I have gained from driving Tesla for 2 years and 50,000 miles insofar as that may be useful for people thinking of getting a Jag (and not having had the experience of EV ownership).; Reviews have been mostly incomplete. and this isn't just a face-lift on an existing, well understood, technology ... its a ground-up-start-again, so plenty to misunderstand (supplier, marketing people, and customer alike)

So my wandering thoughts are:

CCS long distance rapid-charging too immature at present, all 3rd-party charging (Type-2 and CHAdeMO) I have used has been dreadful, whereas Tesla supercharger experience has been uniformly excellent, Hopefully CCS will be as good once rolled out.

Not everyone needs rapid-charging though, but I use Superchargers on at least 2 days a month.

Personally I prefer the minimalist cabin of Tesla, and the lack of buttons. In part because I think it enables software updates which are not constrained by the physical layout of knobs and dials. But I expect many/most? people coming from conventional vehicles will prefer the Jag style. My Tesla has had lots of updates in two years, and new buttons have appeared for a number of things. Quite possible that during lifetime of my car voice-recognition will supplement "buttons" and might require a complete rethink on the user-interface.

wH/mile efficiency is important to me, to minimise my time on days when I am out-of-range, and maybe even to reduce the days when I have to charge; the 90 was the biggest battery when i bought, but if buying again now I would buy the 100 (or maybe long-range Model-3). If a longer range battery was available I would buy that - at around 300 miles real-world range I would probably only need to charge (on the road) once a year. My dream would be 350-400 mile range (affordable though please ).

In terms of Performance / Handling: I have the Performance model, but I rarely use it (although I had a non-P loaner when my car was in for service and it is noticeably less "sharp" to drive. Front-end much less precise than the P-model. Dunno why (and I'm no expert), possible more "push" from the larger rear P-motor, maybe better suspension geometry on the P). Sub 5-second acceleration is alarming for passengers if they are not concentrating (e.g. hopping out at a junction in a tight gap), and sub 4-second (i.e. in Performance mode) far more so. Sure, its absolutely wild to demo to your mates, but that is all done and dusted in the first few weeks of ownership

If I was buying again I would probably be tempted by the non-P models - particularly to get maximum range. All these EVs are "very quick", so the difference between THIS and THAT is tiny, and definitely not a deciding factor for me. From what I have read I expect that the Jag will drive better on country roads. I do some of that (I live in the Country) but most of the time I drive to nearest highway junction and then 90%+ of my driving is on highway at max legal speed (plus a bit ). So might well be that the better handling of the Jag would not really make any difference to me (given I'm mostly highway cruise driving).

For me Adaptive Cruise Control and Stay-in-Lane are critical elements. I have been very surprised by how much AutoPilot reduces fatigue on longer journeys. My best-guess is that Tesla is best-in-class for my requirements, but in, say, 6 months time that might change. I actually think that AP1 suits me better than AP2 (ability to read speed signs is important because we have variable speed limits on Motorway in UK and they are camera-enforced). AP2 definitely better in edge conditions (over crest and roads with no marking on verge-side), but I don't use AutoPilot on the local roads - other than to test it out to see how progress is getting on. On Highway AP1 does all that I require (perhaps until we get to FSD)

I haven't owned a car in this class / price bracket before (its affordable for me, just choose not to spend that much money on a car) and I don't get particularly excited by style/looks (in the way that people want some particular wheels on their car, for example), so I'm not a good candidate for "Choose Jag for better interior"

The Tech is a mixed blessing. My day-job is software development and I tend to hate most modern products because of the continuous change, and the bugs that rush-to-market brings, and the fact that nowadays most of those projects are run by Marketing rather than IT, and Marketing are far more interested in pixel-perfect design/layout than usability and QA testing. Tesla infotainment has been dreadful (based solely on my scoring scale!), but all the issues have been fixed in a later version (and some have reappeared in a subsequent version ... an indication of poor regression testing). I think that frequent updates is the age-old problem of confusing people; that's one thing when it happens on your phone, quite another when the first time you discover there is a change is in an emergency life-threatening situation. But I expect all automotive manufacturers will go down the over-the-air updates route (but only because "everyone else is doing it and Customer THINKS that they want it")

I very much doubt that any Marque coming new to the market, with their first "Tesla Killer EV", is going to have a really really good Battery management System. Even Nissan, after all these years of experience, is shocking - e.g. RapidGate. Tesla clearly have an excellent system; 10% battery degradation at 150,000 miles, and most of that happens early on, so degradation thereafter is very slight.

So for me to buy an EV which is not Tesla:

Need rapid charging network at least as good as Tesla Superchargers
Need a good battery management system
Need good rapid charging - i.e. Taper only above, say, 80% - or give me 300 mile range and then I don't care about Taper
Need good efficiency and Range (Jag not looking good, but I am hopeful there will be a software update to fix it)
Need Adaptive Cruise Control and Stay-in-Lane - i.e. at least as good as Autopilot (on highway), and able to read speed signs

Last edited by TeslaOwner; 09-02-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page