Tested brake lights with ACC and Regen - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 10Likes
  • 3 Post By 2761
  • 4 Post By sciencegeek
  • 3 Post By PGhiron

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Tested brake lights with ACC and Regen

As discussed on this forum, I've experienced more tailgaters than in my ICE car. Worried that some drivers might be confused, I decided to test when the brake lights come on with the adaptive cruise control set and during high/low brake regeneration.

With my wife following me I drove a loop three times that included a fairly long and steep decline. First loop, the ACC exactly kept the set speed using Regen during the drive downhill and the brake lights did not come on until near the bottom when ACC needed to use a lot of regen to maintain the set speed.

In low regeneration the brake lights don't come on until the car is under 4 or 5 MPH. In high regen the brake lights come on as soon as the accelerator pedal is released but the lights don't come on when using even slight pressure on the accelerator.

I can see why I've had more tailgaters when driving the I-Pace. Using high regen, the lights come on further from a red light, other stop, or just releasing the accelerator unless I carefully modulate the accelerator. Using low regen brings the car to a stop, albeit at a longer distance than high regen, with no brake lights until the last few MPH. The ACC is so effective at maintaining speed going downhill with no brake lights while the cars following the I-Pace gain speed and ground.

Of course, aggressive, inattentive or distracted drivers are part of the problem but now I know how to drive without adding to another driver's confusion.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

I have far fewer tailgaters because I just pull away from them. Brake lights are irrelevant
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM

This is very helpful information. Thank you for taking the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
I have far fewer tailgaters because I just pull away from them. Brake lights are irrelevant
As said by the Italian Driver in Gumball Rally, "What-is-a-behind-me, is NOT important" right after he rips out the rear view mirror, and throws it out of the car.
McRat, sciencegeek and Enderle like this.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
I have far fewer tailgaters because I just pull away from them. Brake lights are irrelevant [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
I sure drive like the grandfather I am. 😇 I've been obsessed with speed and fast cars until the last few years when I finally settled down. Getting old sucks! Looking in the rear view mirror of both cars I see 2 car seats and suppress the urge to blow past some jerk who thinks he's a Formula 1 driver.

It may seem odd but I never considered the I-Pace's performance when I bought it. I wanted reasonable range, comfort and safety but I do unleash the power when no one is with me. Grandkids have already experienced a pretty violent crash (their mother) and people close behind me now make me nervous.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:03 PM

I've had no more tailgaters than normal, but I'm almost always passing.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 PM

I just turn on my emergency flashers for a few moments. Does the trick!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:47 AM

I hope Jaguar does add a simple fix for this. I'd like to see a small LED light on the rearview mirror or HUD that can be turned off, that indicates when the brake light is on.
Tesla has something similar but you must be look at the lower dash to see it.

But I also turn on my flashers when I see traffic is going to cause me to brake aggressively. Or I will manually flash the brake lights with my foot.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page