Park Assist - Anyone Using It / Trust It? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Park Assist - Anyone Using It / Trust It?

I wanted to start playing with park assist but I’m always taking over as I’m not very confident in its ability. Anyone regularly using parking assist for parallel or perpendicular parking?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by razntwn View Post
I wanted to start playing with park assist but Iím always taking over as Iím not very confident in its ability. Anyone regularly using parking assist for parallel or perpendicular parking?
I've only tried it a few of times. It is not very good at identifying parking spots, it is very slow so a bad idea in a busy parking lot and I found it too unreliable, so I have no confidence in it. It did ok on one occasion.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:50 PM

I haven't, with the i-paces short hood and backup cameras, honestly not sure why you'd ever need to.

and my salesperson, he said, word to the wise, never use the park assist if you want to avoid wrecking your car--happens all the time apparently.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Ordered: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 PM

I have never used PA in any of my vehicles. I did sit in one of mine while another vehicle apparently did its PA parking in spot next to me. It was a hold-my-breath-waiting-for-collision moment that thankfully didn't happen. Driver had to re-park it (it wasn't parallel parking). Driver couldn't get out of the vehicle due to 6 inches (at most) of clearance between that vehicle and mine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 04:40 PM

Its a gimmick that never works. It is fun to see your steering wheel spin around on its own, but it never seems to be able to find a space.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:36 PM

If mine EVER identifies a spot correctly I will have an opinion. The only time it gave me an option it disappeared before I could start the procedure...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:13 PM

I've used it successfully about 5 out of 8 or 9 times or so. I did it just a few days ago with a spot of the left side of the car (one way street) so that works the same way as with right-side parking. It cuts the turn in a little closer to the car you start out next to than it has to in my opinion... but it works. It is fairly picky about engaging and will easily cancel if you drive just a little too far past the spot or don't hit reverse or forward when it tells you to.

I'd suggest finding nice low-traffic side streets with a spattering of open spots to practice on a couple of times so you can get the hang of it before trying it under higher-pressure downtown situations.

Adding: There's really no chance of wrecking your car this way as long as you pay attention. The accelerator and brake are completely under your control. If it is going wrong you just stop or take over steering.

Last edited by StormRune; 10-31-2019 at 10:22 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:19 PM

I usually remember to try it out after I've already parked.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2014 Forester, and maybe going to get a Fiat 500e
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRune View Post
I've used it successfully about 5 out of 8 or 9 times or so. I did it just a few days ago with a spot of the left side of the car (one way street) so that works the same way as with right-side parking. It cuts the turn in a little closer to the car you start out next to than it has to in my opinion... but it works. It is fairly picky about engaging and will easily cancel if you drive just a little too far past the spot or don't hit reverse or forward when it tells you to.

I'd suggest finding nice low-traffic side streets with a spattering of open spots to practice on a couple of times so you can get the hang of it before trying it under higher-pressure downtown situations.

Adding: There's really no chance of wrecking your car this way as long as you pay attention. The accelerator and brake are completely under your control. If it is going wrong you just stop or take over steering.
I still havenít had the courage to try it out yet. Maybe I will give it a shot in a low-traffic area sometime.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavmisra View Post
I still havenít had the courage to try it out yet. Maybe I will give it a shot in a low-traffic area sometime.
well, if you try it in a high traffic area everyone will think it is the first time you have ever driven...