Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Seat memory, user profiles and weird behaviours

8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  kmp 
#1 ·
So it appears that when you set a seat memory and recall it only the front back and tilt gets restored, NOT the height and seat angle for front nor the side mirror positions, is this what others have also found? If this is normal it would be VERY weak for any car with driver and passenger memory option (specially the mirrors). Both drivers were using the same key fob. The seat memory was manually recalled.

Or is this a weirdness of the profiles as I have created one? I haven’t had a chance yet to try switching profiles to see if its a part of that. I wish there was a detailed list of what is “saved” under what “feature” of the car.

Any input or experience from owners?

#2 ·
Ok to answer part of my own question: so the seat and mirrors are saved MORE as part of user profile than seat memory, using profiles and configuring the seats/mirrors restores the settings. I am not sure if they still need to be saved in a specific memory or not, that is not clear and honestly pretty confusing for most. Will report more when I have the guts to experiment with profiles...

#3 ·
The iguide isn't very clear on the profile and seat memory as there is nowhere in the Profile to indicate if you prefer Memory 1, 2, or 3 be assigned to the profile. I'm not sure how Profile learns your preferred seat settings. Seems like most things we'll have to do some personal testing and sharing to get a better picture of what to expect.

#5 ·
And then there is this COMMUTE option in the Navigation that is not the same as Route Guidance. It seems to be determined by the everyday commute that one travels. When selected, it presents itself as a blue line in the maps screen on the instrument panel or on the center navigation screen. I tried asking voice command once to cancel route guidance, but the system says route guidance is not active.

#6 ·
Ok on that note is it me or is it really outdated that when I use voice guidance I have to spell out the address rather than read it out loud?

I posted this elsewhere too, but the profile seems to be a capture of the entire "state" of the car, although sometimes it decides it should turn on my wheel heat because I had it on, and other times at same temperature it decides NOT to (same profile). So it definitely is either much smarter than me or much dumber than me.

#9 ·
Do you find the Commute option in Navigation to be useful?
Right now I generally keep the Map active and look ahead for traffic problems. I'm assuming that Commute will then automatically see traffic problems and give you an option to take an alternate route. I don't use Waze or Google except for planned navigation and have found the Navi system, Waze and Google all offer rerouting options for traffic interruptions. I have had my wife check the Navigation against Google on a few trips and got the same alternate guidance.

Would be good to hear your experience, but I'll give it a try as well and will turn it off if it creates too much noise. I definitely don't want to turn on navigation each day for my commute as I don't need the voice turn by turn, but would like to get notification to take alternate routes.

#8 ·
Disclaimer: I know this comment is not helpful for those of you who use these features. I'm just offering my perspective:

I do not use profiles
I do not use the navigation, only the map display (for entertainment, not navigation .. that's what google is for)
I do not use voice control
I do not use the 'personal' SIM card (I yanked it out and haven't missed it)
And while I do have the seat position memory set I don't really have to rely on it because I'm the only driver 99% of the time.
I do give it time to boot up upon pressing the Start button.

I don't have any issues other than the occasional idiosyncratic screen lag.

The combination of Windows IoT, JLR not exactly being a software company, and their having relatively low overall sales volumes (emphasis on overall, not just EVs) compared to the Germans, Koreans, or Japanese led me to minimize risk by turning off all features that I absolutely don't need. => Happy camper! I can enjoy the car for what it is: an amazing driving machine with beautiful physical features inside and out.

#12 ·
I have to say that I completely agree with Sciencegeek here. I just got my car back (it took two weeks) from the dealer having taken it in after only ~250 miles to have several problems fixed: a) inability to configure the instrument cluster (turns out it was a faulty camera in the windshield mounted forward facing sensors that kept providing false warnings and overriding any use of the thumbwheel controls); b) the battery charging interactions with my home ChargePoint charger (the one recommend by JLR!) that appears to be unfixable because of standards incompatibility issues that force me to only use the clumsy car-side time of use (TOU) charging schedule rather than the elegant and user friendly interface that ChargePoint has; and c) ongoing issues with the iOS InControl app connection with the car. (Am still not “there” yet with a fully useable TOU strategy but am hopeful...)

A lot of the other features seem so “MS Windows like” in their clunkyness and poor UX. (Sorry, am betraying decades of personal preferences for the much better alternatives out there.)

Nonetheless, after now having the car back and putting a few miles on it I am so, so happy with it! It really is a driver’s car, hands down. Enormously fun to drive and experience. Why would one ever go back to all the moving parts that need to be slowly cranked up to create meaningful torque when one experiences the instantaneousness of the I PACE? Then there is the handling, even in comfort mode. Wonderful!

So maybe JLR just wants us all to focus on automotive first principles?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.