i-Pace Lane-Keep-Assist / Autosteer test - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

i-Pace Lane-Keep-Assist / Autosteer test

Bjørn Nyland has posted a video of his testing of i-Pace Lane Assist

If you don't know of him: Bjørn started out as a Tesla YouTuber, won a Model-X in a referrals competition, gave up his day job and now gets asked to review EV cars and so on; whilst he may well have a Tesla bias he does have experience of lots of different EV models

My take-away was that it works very well but disengages (time? lack of hand-on-wheel?) without giving any warning alarm (so, for example, if medically incapacitated the outcome would not be good ...) by comparison Tesla sounds increasingly more annoying alarms, and if still no response puts the hazard flashers on and comes to a stop (albeit in-lane rather than on-shoulder)
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Added a separate thread for Born's consumption test
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:30 PM

"this is really weird"
at 8 min in

there are definitely bugs in this implementation .. however, when the system is on it seems to work well.
in the US it's $1300 more than driver assist .. i might just add that to my order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
there are definitely bugs in this implementation ..
I'm reading that the "disengage with no audible warning" seems to be common in other brands too.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how that is sensible ...

... actually, no I'm not, I'm going "WTF" !!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 AM

So, it deactivates without telling you? That's awesome. Can't wait to see some crashes...
I want to like the iPace so much, but I keep coming back to AP and super chargers...

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:19 PM

I ordered autosteer, just for fun, but I don't plan to use it much nor ever rely on it. As far as I can tell, the technology is just too primitive and too unsafe at this time. That goes for Tesla as well as Jaguar and all the others.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Interesting, seems to work pretty well once he used it when he got out of that weird section where it kept adding passing lanes for a bit and then merged back in.

The nag does seem odd though--I think they should be a little more forceful. Do we know how they are determining driver awareness? By far the best solution out there is the eye camera GM has on SuperCruise. The next best solution is a touch pressure sensor built into the steering wheel. The least effective is the steering wheel torque/input method--which is what Tesla uses and it seems like the i-pace might as well.

My F-Pace has a driver fatigue monitoring system built in, but I think that just uses steering wheel inputs to determine and in 2.5 years of ownership I've never had it go off--I'm far too anal to not have my hands on the steering wheel. But it uses the coffee cup icon just like in this test as well.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
The next best solution is a touch pressure sensor built into the steering wheel. The least effective is the steering wheel torque/input method--which is what Tesla uses and it seems like the i-pace might as well.
In another thread I posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuableu View Post
I sent my salesman with a list of technical questions to his recent I-Pace training in Southern California.

The I-Pace is using capacitive touch. However, the sensors are only at the "10" and "2" positions on the steering wheel.
n
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I ordered autosteer ... the technology is just too primitive and too unsafe at this time. That goes for Tesla as well as Jaguar and all the others.
FWIW I use Tesla AutoPilot all the time on dual-carriageway. It is far less tiring on long drives than manual driving (even with TACC). I didn't believe it until I owned it myself. Always have a hand on the wheel though, but in 2 years of driving I haven't had a scary moment and my view is that if either AP or me reacts to a problem that's better than just me (e.g. AP uses radar under car in front to detect that car in front of that is braking, and also moves over if side-intrusion from adjacent lane is detected; probably a bunch of other things too)

I would also say (but may well "just be me" ) that setting AP to a suitable safe-follow-distance and then having it maintain that is better than me pushing up behind people to encourage them to move over. Much more, than before, I just let the car sit there at safe distance; that might contribute to reduction in tiredness. Of course I could have done that in previous vehicles that just had TACC, but I didn't. TACC in previous vehicles has not been able to come to a stop (e.g. stop-start traffic) so significant slowing of traffic required manual intervention. Not sure what change in Tech would have been enough for me to say "just get on with it" ... so maybe that is only AP-related, in my case, because it is the first car I've owned where I have changed my attitude.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:35 AM

I had a chance to drive the GM Super Cruise. Not sure what I'd use it for but it works excellent. Most likely it would be a safety system for me. A redundant steering control. But many (most?) drivers want the autosteering to be the primary driver and the human to be the fallback. Pokemon, Angry Birds, or Twitbookgram ain't going to play themselves while you're supposed to be driving!!! Besides last night's Grey's Anatomy might have been interesting. OK, perhaps at best a 10% possibility, but you should watch it in heavy traffic with bicycles, motorcycles, and pedestrians just to be sure. You have insurance.

Odd thing about Adaptive Cruise Control (Tesla Automatic Car Coordination?) is that it harms your range. An educated foot will get you more range. This has been true since the first Cruise Controls were vacuum operated and mechanically pushed the pedal down, but is more true with EVs.

With me it's about 6% difference (6 miles per 100 miles) when ACC is set to max range (3 seconds). This is only important in a pinch, but you should practice before you need it. The goal is to keep the peak kW numbers as low as possible, both accel and decel. Charging and discharging a battery lose power in a non-linear fashion. Heat increases resistance which creates heat which creates more resistance.
I-PaceDave likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page