i-Pace Lane-Keep-Assist / Autosteer test - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

The first TACC I had was in a VW and its modus operandi was to "maintain speed until almost on the tail of car in front and then jump on the brakes". Utterly-non-Eco (and that was in their BlueMotion Eco model ...) and very alarming for a passenger.

Tesla AP does not use up some of the available safe-follow-distance to slow down gently (i.e. only using regen) as a human would, so I expect you are right on range ...

... although it definitely does a better job than my wife who is constantly on/off the gas pedal on highway ... so @McRat I think your theory only holds good for Perfect Drivers, like you and me
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaOwner View Post
The first TACC I had was in a VW and its modus operandi was to "maintain speed until almost on the tail of car in front and then jump on the brakes". Utterly-non-Eco (and that was in their BlueMotion Eco model ...) and very alarming for a passenger.

Tesla AP does not use up some of the available safe-follow-distance to slow down gently (i.e. only using regen) as a human would, so I expect you are right on range ...

... although it definitely does a better job than my wife who is constantly on/off the gas pedal on highway ... so @McRat I think your theory only holds good for Perfect Drivers, like you and me
Yeah, a spastic foot is worse than ACC.
ACC is in the middle.
Calm foot is the winner.

My wife and daughter are the same. They both have lead feet. If they drive an EV for a couple days, the rated range drops.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 PM

Sometimes, I think Tesla drivers do not really ENJOY "DRIVING." They would rather be passengers. It's so the opposite of VW's campaign slogan way back when, "Drivers Wanted."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
Sometimes, I think Tesla drivers do not really ENJOY "DRIVING." They would rather be passengers.
You may be right, I resemble that comment might just be that I am getting old ...

I regard myself as a keen driver, I have an half-ton, V8, 300 BHP "toy" in the garage. Haven't driven it, not once, since owning Tesla. They are both low 3s 0-60, but the Tesla is a whole pile more useful. And 90% of my driving is highway, so just engage AutoPilot and keep a good lookout. No ear-ache, head-fuzzy, from that blarring exhause noise ...

As soon as the thing will, reliably [insert your prediction here!] drive itself I'm happy. I can use the journey time FAR better than actually having to drive.

I have one "kid" who has been driving for a handful of years, and another that has been of-age to drive for a couple but would prefer to wait for self-driving to happen ...
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:09 AM

That's because so much of what we do, isn't driving.
Driving is a Model S P100D on a back road with zero traffic and no cops around that winds up and down hill with sweeping turns and a few hairpins.

However, driving bumper to bumper at 50 or stop and go and stop and go and stop and go isn't driving. That's when Auto Pilot saves the day...
Or a 2 hour drive on the highway with cops everywhere. AP FTW. you arrive with SO much more energy and less stress.

We drive my wife's 3 roughly 300 miles/weekend in the summer (if not more) and 95% is on AP... I'd be hard pressed to give that up, knowing the improvements that occur automatically for it... I still plan to go drool over the ipace, but without AP, it's just lacking. While I'm a car guy, I'm also a tech guy, and Tesla has the tech.
TeslaOwner likes this.

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl View Post
However, driving bumper to bumper at 50 or stop and go and stop and go and stop and go isn't driving. That's when Auto Pilot saves the day...
Or a 2 hour drive on the highway with cops everywhere. AP FTW. you arrive with SO much more energy and less stress.
Which part of Autopilot provides these benefits - the adaptive cruise control or the autosteer?

I assume it's the ACC, and that any car with decent ACC would provide similar stress relief, same as the Teslas. But I would welcome info from anyone more knowledgeable than I.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Which part of Autopilot provides these benefits
I had Traffic Aware Cruise Control (never know if it is TAFF or ACC - the sort that uses forward facing e.g. Radar and slows down when approaching a slower car) on previous car (i.e. before Tesla). Didn't notice any reduce in fatigue on long journeys compared to previous non-adaptive Cruise Control or just "no cruise control" manual driving.

On Tesla with both TACC and stay-in-lane [i.e. AutoPilot] (and possibly signal-to-change-lanes, but I doubt that is relevant!!) that's when I noted the reduction in fatigue.

Mine is only one data-point though - but I've read many drivers saying the same thing, but I don't know if they, too, previously found no improvement with just-TACC
phil likes this.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:05 AM

We pretty much always use full auto pilot, including auto steer. Nothing ticks me off more than manual cruise because no one else in the world seems to use it. You set a speed and catch up/pass people, then they pass you, then you get right up on them because they slowed down. it's infuriating.

Adaptive Cruise - how Tesla has done it, where it can be turned on any time you are not on the brake (0mph), and brings the car to a full stop, and starts going again is great it's 65% stress reduction right there.

The Auto Steer is another 25% reduction. However the constant nags are now stress inducing. AP is significantly smoother in turns than my wife jerking the wheel. She's never got the whole turn in smoothly hold, turn out thing. She handles the wheel as on/off. Not good for one's stomach in a vehicle w/tight steering.

I can set AP to an appropriate MPH at a distance of 3-4 and just let 'r rip. for 80+ miles at a time. Never gets tired, never gets distracted, never gets road rage.

I still want to like the Jag, I like the looks, I like the price point, I like the performance, and never thought AP would be a deciding factor buying a car... but man is it sweet. I keep trying to talk myself into.. well... the wife's car has AP and super charging so... maybe I don't need it then...

I'll call the Jag dealer next week, they told me Sept to have one in the showroom... Also I get to keep saying "Shaguwar" when talking to my wife, and that's just hilarious. Ok, she hates me, but I find it funny as ****.
phil and TeslaOwner like this.

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl View Post
I still want to like the Jag, I like the looks, I like the price point, I like the performance, and never thought AP would be a deciding factor buying a car... but man is it sweet.
The Engadget reviewer (quoted below) has apparently driven Tesla and Nissan's autopilots, as well as the I-Pace, and he says the Jaguar AP performs comparably. Jaguar does lack auto lane changes, but that does not seem to be a big part of the relaxation you get from AP anyway; I suspect auto lane changes would greatly increase my stress level, at least until the tech advances considerably.

Perhaps AP is not a differentiator between Tesla and Jaguar anymore?

Engadget: "When you do get onto that freeway, the adaptive cruise control and steering assist do a fine job keeping the vehicle in its lane and tracking the cars in front of it. It's not as robust as Autopilot found on the Model X though. It doesn't have auto lane change, but its ability to track the road is nearly on par with Tesla's and Nissan's offerings."
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:25 PM

Is there an aggressive autopilot that will get me there 5 minutes earlier? I want that one. Otherwise I'm driving it.
bruintoo and sciencegeek like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page