• 1 Post By bitstream

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy New owner: Likes and Dislikes after 2 weeks

• Performance and handling are stellar
  • 360 camera!
  • Fit and finish are second to none

Dislikes:
  • Too many buttons/poorly organized touch screen experience. My 10 year old XF has fewer buttons (and fewer touch screens) yet does basic things like climate control BETTER than the I-Pace.
  • While on the subject, the dials for controlling temperator, fan speed, and seat heater settings require you to PUSH or PULL them. This is BMW iDrive levels of awful. Yeah, it looks cool, but it's a usability nightmare. Want to change the fan speed while driving? Good luck not crashing while attempting to do so.
  • Can never get more than MAYBE 200 miles of range. 234 mile claimed range is Fake News all day and night.
  • The backup camera is atrocious. Ok, it's not just atrocious -- it's dangerous. Choppy and laggy. If you depend on this for reversing, you risk getting someone injured or killed. My 10 year old XF never had this issue. Unacceptable, to the point that I'm considering contacting something like the NTSB.
  • I get random audio breakup when using CarPlay. This is a wired connection and it does this with more than 1 phone, so it's definitely the car. How is this even possible? I used the same physical connector in my old XF and never had an issue.
  • There is almost ALWAYS an issue when trying to charge, necessitating multiple attempts before it initializes successfully.
  • Often won’t lock via FOB, acting like a door is open when they most definitely aren’t. Opening and closing the doors eventually makes it happy.
  • “Hissing” sound from in front of drivers seat. Happens when car is on. Is there even when infotainment and climate control systems are OFF. Very annoying.
  • The car often fails to recognize the smart key, despite the fact that I JUST unlocked the car and got in. I will place it below the steering column numerous times as prompted, often to no avail. The only reliable workaround seems to be using the fob (while in the car) to lock it, arm the alarm, then unlock it. After that it starts normally. And yes, I have changed the batteries in both FOBS -- the problem still happens randomly.
  • I have received the "Brake pedal feel reduced warning” once.
  • In a mere two weeks (and 300 miles), I've had all these issues, but to top it off when I attempted to charge yesterday it told me there was a "High Voltage System Fault" that rendered the car immobile. Putting the car in D did nothing. Putting it in Reverse resulted in a thumping sound from the rear of the car upon application of the throttle, but no movement. On the plus(?) side, after an hour it went away and I was able to drive home normally.

As you can imagine, I'm very unhappy -- to the point that I tried to get the dealer to rescind the deal (they wouldn't) and have thought about getting rid of it. It's already heading to the shop where they won't even be able to LOOK at it for a week due to the backlog.

Jaguar UK/NA, if you are reading this, you aren't off to a good start and are at serious risk of PERMANENTLY losing a loyal customer.

Last edited by bitstream; 01-06-2020 at 10:42 PM.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 10:53 PM

Have you done the H264 update? It is phenomenal. I am getting WAY over 200 miles of range and I've had my new I-Pace over 2 weeks now and honestly have not had any of these problems you are sadly experiencing.

My backup camera took a little longer to sync after the H264 update, but I find the back up camera, rear peripheral detection, top view and front view cameras incredible!!!

The push to pull climate knobs looks awesome, but are awkward. Honestly, just use them for seat heating and cooling. Set the climate to 70 or 72F and use AUTO. I do this for every car, and I NEVER adjust fan speed. Adjusting fan speed is for cars without automatic climate control.

Btw, BMW iDrive from say 2014 to current is amazing!! It's beyond easy, intuitive and instant!!!

Apple Car play is spotty in ALL brands.....BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Volvo. This is absolutely not a fault of Jaguar.

I'm so sorry you are having issues. Make sure your dealer has your I-Pace up to date with software. It makes a tremendous difference.

After 25 years of MBZ, BMW, Range Rover, Audi, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Porsche...I think I am a forever Jaguar fan. My I-Pace is exceeding every expectation or hope!! I am in LOVE!!!!

2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 AM

Sorry to hear that, but it's so strange that I and few others have not experienced any of these. Use topix to make sure all updates are applied to your car. H264 is a must if you dont have it yet. Just incase Make sure you have simm card installed and logged in to incontrol and etc.

Narvik Black HSE, all options including carbon fiber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM1 View Post
...so strange that I and few others have not experienced any of these...
Actually many of those complaints are well known and common

Laggy/choppy rear camera - Said to be improved with system updates - reported by others. I'm unsure what software controls the cameras.
Audio problems with CarPlay - said to be fixed with system updates (I believe the 19C infotainment release notes state this)
Charging problems with public L3 chargers - some brands of chargers seem to be worse than others
'Brake Pedal Feel Reduced' warning - appears to generally self-resolve. I do not recall seeing a specific fix posted.
Recognition that the push/pull climate control knobs are not the best solution - not a great design idea.
Even the finicky key fob problems have been reported by others, just not as widespread - you can do a Forum search to see it isn't a one off. Ask the dealer to test or replace the receiving antenna module in the car

Keep in mind there are a lot of software components and the only ones readily visible to the owner are the infotainment, telematics and battery control module.

Only the dealer can tell you what other system software is our there and what version you have installed by hooking the car to the Pathfinder system. Based on user reports, the quality of knowledge and/or willingness to perform updates is erratic at best across the network. It appears some dealers perform the bare minimum and many cannot even seem to follow basic update instructions. Just recently on this forum someone reported they had the latest update, H264, yet still had the old style SOC gauge. JLR's installation notes for H264 very clearly direct the technician to update the instrument cluster as part of H264, yet the dealer failed to do it. It would not surprise me that some of the issues we see are strictly software incompatibility problems and could be resolved if the dealers took the time to do clean re-installs to ensure everything is up to date.
Deutsch100 likes this.

Last edited by Dantrium; 01-07-2020 at 07:50 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM1 View Post
...so strange that I and few others have not experienced any of these...
Actually many of those complaints are well known and common

Laggy/choppy rear camera - Said to be improved with system updates - reported by others. I'm unsure what software controls the cameras.
Audio problems with CarPlay - said to be fixed with system updates (I believe the 19C infotainment release notes state this)
Charging problems with public L3 chargers - some brands of chargers seem to be worse than others
'Brake Pedal Feel Reduced' warning - appears to generally self-resolve. I do not recall seeing a specific fix posted.
Recognition that the push/pull climate control knobs are not the best solution - not a great design idea.
Even the finicky key fob problems have been reported by others, just not as widespread - you can do a Forum search to see it isn't a one off. Ask the dealer to test or replace the receiving antenna module in the car

Keep in mind there are a lot of software components and the only ones readily visible to the owner are the infotainment, telematics and battery control module.

Only the dealer can tell you what other system software is our there and what version you have installed by hooking the car to the Pathfinder system. Based on user reports, the quality of knowledge and/or willingness to perform updates is erratic at best across the network. It appears some dealers perform the bare minimum and many cannot even seem to follow basic update instructions. Just recently on this forum someone reported they had the latest update, H264, yet still had the old style SOC gauge. JLR's installation notes for H264 very clearly direct the technician to update the instrument cluster as part of H264, yet the dealer failed to do it. It would not surprise me that some of the issues we see are strictly software incompatibility problems and could be resolved if the dealers took the time to do clean re-installs to ensure everything is up to date.
I agree there were issues at the beginning but that's certainly is not the case for us or perhaps for cars bought more recently from a well trained dealer. We just have not seen it AT ALL. It's been Solid. May be dealers are replacing certain problem
causing components before delivery now, I don't know. These issues may be true for cars bought several months back. The dealers needed to be trained so many early buyers became beta testers. But that is expected for a new generation of cars.
So yes it needs a well trained dealer who could update all the software correctly. As you said, These issues sounds like the car was not serviced/updated properly and has mismatched software components.
Deutsch100 likes this.

Narvik Black HSE, all options including carbon fiber.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 04:55 PM

My experience has been totally the opposite of the OP concerns, and my car did not have all of the updates when I purchased it (it does have everything other than H264 now, including the 19C SOTA update). I will admit, that given some of the issues that have been widely reported in various forums and Facebook groups I keep expecting some major failure to hit my car, but so far so good.

As noted, the car is heavily software controlled, and just as with an older version of an OS on your personal computer that is not patched to the latest versions things can be wonky, it is hyper critical to get the car verified as to what needs to be updated, and have those updates done ASAP. You can check what update campaigns are due for your car needs by going to the Jaguar Topix web site, located at https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/ . Once there you will need to register on the site, you want to setup your account using the lower left black button labeled "Independent Operator". Make sure you have your VIN handy. Once you create your account and setup yourself as an Independent Operator, and have logged in, on the next screen enter your VIN. The website will take a few moments to look up your VIN and will return the current campaign/s outstanding for your car. Print the page with any campaigns for your car and take it with you to the dealer to prove that your car needs the specified updates. Some dealers will have it all in hand and have the updates needed already on the work order, some may need the page you printed out.

And as noted above, have your dealer use their Pathfinder system to diagnose the car.

If after all software updates have been applied you still have the plethora of bad issues with the car, since you are in the USA execute your rights under the lemon law.

And by the way, I purchased my car from the Bellevue dealer, they have been accommodating, and had all of the updates I had on my Topix report already on my work order when I took the car in before the holidays.
PS702 and Deutsch100 like this.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black - Ebony/Ebony
Xpel film paint protection (front, A pillars, lower rocker panels, door edges, mirror caps and rear)
Ceramic Pro entire body, wheels and glass
Delivered 9/6/19
S19C
H207 - HOOD LATCH AND CABLE
H213 - REGENERATIVE BRAKING SYSTEM NON-COMPLIANCE
H221 - INSTALL NEW CHARGE PORT LABEL
H228 - SOFTWARE ENHANCEMENT PROGRAMME
H237 - INSTRUMENT PACK CLUSTER UPDATE
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Cat View Post

You can check what update campaigns are due for your car needs by going to the Jaguar Topix web site, located at https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/ .
To clarify, Topix does not list all software updates available. It only lists those things JLR has determined are ‘Campaigns’ to fix known/widespread issues and dealers are directed to conduct. Not all individual software updates/patches become stand alone campaigns.

Some dealers have been reluctant to perform the updates unless they are part of a campaign. Initially my dealer said they would only perform the campaigns and any updates that were related to a specific problem. It took a bit of persuading to get them to agree to do the whole kit and kaboodle. In the end, they ended up installing 33+ updates. In another thread someone posted a long list of modules available for updates. The only way to see current versions and what versions are available is thru Pathfinder.

Last edited by Dantrium; 01-08-2020 at 07:04 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quick update: The dealer has had the car since Monday the 6th. They said there was some "corrupt software". No word on what's being updated or when the car will be ready. Fingers crossed it's sooner than later.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Update #2: The dealer has had the car for 13 days so far. They said they need to replace the charging port. Hoping to have an update this week.

Question: Does Topix have the repair history for Jaguar vehicles?
Deutsch100 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page