Drove a Macan today - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Cool Drove a Macan today

Nono, it's not what you think. I'm not jumping ship even though the I-Pace has been in the shop for six weeks. [Battery arrived today BTW]

A buddy of mine is in the market for a new car and he loves the Macan. Because he had knee surgery three weeks ago he can't yet drive, but he found a reeeeeaaaaallllllly nice pre-owned one (2018 GTS, loaded), certified, at the dealer and he wanted to check it out. So I drove him there and then drove the Macan 'for him'. Super nice car. Air suspension, amazing leather seats, fully loaded.

So ok, it's not a Turbo but a GTS, with a 3L engine. Aaaanyway, the car is amazing, but ... driving it was a total letdown.

I want my I-Pace back!!!! I can't stand driving an ICE car, even the ones that cost as much as the I-Pace. Whaaaaa
jsimon7777 and wbjag like this.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:53 AM

I hear your pain. I just sold my truck. I think I may sell the FRS eventually, since I don't go to the track anymore. EV is simply superior. I suppose on the autobahn I might feel differently.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post

Nono, it's not what you think. I'm not jumping ship even though the I-Pace has been in the shop for six weeks. [Battery arrived today BTW]

A buddy of mine is in the market for a new car and he loves the Macan. Because he had knee surgery three weeks ago he can't yet drive, but he found a reeeeeaaaaallllllly nice pre-owned one (2018 GTS, loaded), certified, at the dealer and he wanted to check it out. So I drove him there and then drove the Macan 'for him'. Super nice car. Air suspension, amazing leather seats, fully loaded.

So ok, it's not a Turbo but a GTS, with a 3L engine. Aaaanyway, the car is amazing, but ... driving it was a total letdown.

I want my I-Pace back!!!! I can't stand driving an ICE car, even the ones that cost as much as the I-Pace. Whaaaaa
Aside from the propulsion system, how would you compare the Macan to the I-Pace? Performance and handling-wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Aside from the propulsion system, how would you compare the Macan to the I-Pace? Performance and handling-wise?
This one, as I mentioned, was loaded. It had Air suspension and Sport-plus (or whatever they call it) option for lower gearing / higher rpms.

Steering feels pretty good, but it has a noticeably higher center of gravity and more body roll in cornering.

Annoyingly high rpms when in sport mode; like 2nd gear at 40mph, with corresponding engine noise.

Even in sport mode, comparatively poor throttle response and some weird downshifting when slowing down / braking.

Other observations: great-looking car, very nice interior. But way too many buttons in the center console and only a single 6in screen (the new model has an 8in screen).

Aside from the superior drive quality of the I-Pace, I also appreciate the ergonomics of the screen layout and the well-thought-out middle ground of a few important buttons in the center console and most auxiliary functions in the screens.
dtgsrq likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:01 PM

I just traded in my Macan Turbo, with all performance options, for an iPace.

Honestly, there is no comparison drive-wise. The iPace is simply in a different category. The Macan doesn't have a lot of body roll nor a high center of gravity compared to other SUVs.. but then you get in an iPace and it's night & day better. It's not just a win for the iPace, it's 100% an entire category better IMO.

Also have to 100% agree with the rev holding in Sport & especially Sport Plus in the Macan. It's incredibly annoying to drive around with Sport or Sport Plus on as it holds higher than necessary RPMS and the turbo is pretty whiney. Yet driving in normal mode is underwhelming performance wise.

As far as the interior, the Macan & iPace are both spectacular. I probably prefer the iPace more, mainly because it has a bit more character to it, but the Macan interior is absolutely fantastic with superb fit & finish.

Ironically the Macan is many, many times better than an F-Pace & E-Pace, which really shows how out of left field the iPace was/is.
jsimon7777, sciencegeek and dtgsrq like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:38 PM

As to this observation: "Annoyingly high rpms when in sport mode; like 2nd gear at 40mph, with corresponding engine noise." Sport Plus in a Porsche is only intended for track use and keeps the revs at maximum track-ready RPMs for max acceleration. It isn't intended for street driving, and if used you should take over and use manual shifting. For normal sporty driving you wanted Sport Mode (I've had a few 911s and this is a common mistake people not familiar with Porsches run into).

The GTS you drove had a PDK (dual clutch) transmission and the shifting behavior is a it different that most are familiar with. Similar to Sport Plus, the downshifts in Sport Mode are trying to keep you in the powerband (but less agressively than Sport Plus) and trying to keep the turbos spinning. Most Porsche drivers will use manual mode and shift with the toggle shifters on the steering wheel when in Sport or Sport Plus. Automatic mode is best kept to the Normal performance settings... IMHO. Normal mode is really there just to allow the car to get good EPA ratings since that is the default mode used for EPA testing. Driving around in it is a bit of a bore except when slogging around in heavy traffic.

Until the 2020 models, Porsche has also favored real pushbuttons for commonly accessed functions, so there's no surprise there. Apparently that is changing some in the 2020 models.
sciencegeek likes this.

Last edited by StormRune; 11-02-2019 at 05:41 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:58 PM

I wanna test drive the GLE 450 with the E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL. See how it compares.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:01 AM

Thanks to sciencegeek and GratedWasabi for the Macan/I-Pace comparisons. I've only driven the Cayenne, and while it was impressive compared to most SUVs, the I-Pace *crushed* it in the handling department. So I had always assumed the Macan was also inferior there, too, just never test drove it. Macan was a consideration for wife's next car... now leaning toward the Taycan 4S, hoping it comes out with a Targa/Convertible option at some point... maybe a bit more range, price cut, too, after market launch.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I would still encourage her to test drive a Macan. It's a mighty nice car and she may really like it. My friend sure does. For people who have not been bitten by the awesome EV bug it's a contender!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Thanks to sciencegeek and GratedWasabi for the Macan/I-Pace comparisons. I've only driven the Cayenne, and while it was impressive compared to most SUVs, the I-Pace *crushed* it in the handling department. So I had always assumed the Macan was also inferior there, too, just never test drove it. Macan was a consideration for wife's next car... now leaning toward the Taycan 4S, hoping it comes out with a Targa/Convertible option at some point... maybe a bit more range, price cut, too, after market launch.
Because of being a 4-door, I seriously doubt there will ever be a targa or convertible Taycan. The roof has got to be a structural part of the car. To design it otherwise would have made it heavier and slower.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page