LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

First problem

Click image for larger version

Name:	ipaceDoh.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1833

Has anyone has reached a destination only to find you lost a door handle facade. I wonder how long this takes to get sorted out. Hope this isn't a design flaw that will repeat
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbsz View Post
Attachment 1833

Has anyone has reached a destination only to find you lost a door handle facade. I wonder how long this takes to get sorted out. Hope this isn't a design flaw that will repeat
some people (myself included) have cracks in the door handle covers, but your is the first I have heard about falling off completely!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:23 PM

Ouch, so sorry, must hurt to see the missing part. Fortunately and hopefully it should be easy to get and replace by dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:54 PM

Sorry stubbsz, yours is the first report I've seen here or on the UK forum.
Just curious - did you notice it upon arrival at your destination when you went to lock the car or did you notice it some time after you reached your destination? I'm asking whether it fell off during the drive or if someone tried to pry open the handle and popped the facade off after you had arrived.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:13 PM

I had a piece of trim mysteriously disappear too. A small triangular window trim piece on the driver's side near the rear view mirror. Dealer had the part in 24 hours and the install took 15 minutes.

I suspect the dealership lost the piece while repairing the broken charge port locking mechanism as the missing piece was right above the port. But they replaced it quickly and easily.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:25 PM

Coincidentally, just today, I smacked the rear edge of the left rear door handle with the back of my hand as I was turning around, and sure enough, the facade 'popped' off and fell to the ground. It wasn't broken, and I snapped it back on easily. FYI, I have no cracks in any of my handles that some have reported. The force was pretty hard (didn't feel so good using back of my hand as a mallet), but I think the 'snap-on' nature of the door handle facades may leave them susceptible to popping off.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Coincidentally, just today, I smacked the rear edge of the left rear door handle with the back of my hand as I was turning around, and sure enough, the facade 'popped' off and fell to the ground. It wasn't broken, and I snapped it back on easily. FYI, I have no cracks in any of my handles that some have reported. The force was pretty hard (didn't feel so good using back of my hand as a mallet), but I think the 'snap-on' nature of the door handle facades may leave them susceptible to popping off.
I think that is the concern for this trim piece. If the button and fob aren't working and you have to do the little push & tug procedure to get the handle out so you can use the key tucked into the fob, you could pop the trim off. Also anyone messing with the car, whether maliciously or not when the handles are extended could do the same. Hopefully this is one of those odd build problems that affects just a few and can be remedied with a new trim piece.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 AM

Yep, happened to me about 4 months ago. Rear passenger door handle popped off and easily snapped back on but the next week it was gone. JLR dealer replaced it but my car had to stay in the shop for a week while they color matched the part.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page