Motor noise at low speeds - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Motor noise at low speeds

Has anyone else noticed the motor noise at low speeds? Mine sounds like a sewing machine winding up/down (not a flat sound but almost like an electric whump-whump-whump sound) while accelerating/decelerating at speeds below 35 mph-ish. I didn't notice this noise in my test drives but then I wasn't exactly looking for it. I was expecting a whisper quiet ride based on all reviews specially at low speeds where there is no wind/tire noise. It's not terrible, just something I wasn't expecting. Is this just my car (so I should take it to the dealer for a diagnosis) or do all I-Paces have this noise?

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:47 AM

It makes synthetic noise to warn pedestrians at lower speeds and beeps in reverse.
In Dynamic Mode, it creates a louder syn motor sound (adjustable) based on speed.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
At first I thought it might be the Audible Vehicle Alert System (AVAS) sound, but after listening to that sound
and the fact that it's only audible at speeds up to 19 mph and not supposed to be noticeable inside the vehicle I don't think it's that. I also checked that the synthetic motor sound was turned off.

So do you not have any audible noise at low speeds, McRat?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:30 PM

Open your windows and listen. The car is very quiet, even for an EV. Teslas are noticeably louder.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am not arguing that the car is very quiet, just asking if anyone else has heard that motor noise I described or if it's just my vehicle

By the way I am hard of hearing and actually wear hearing aids, so I thought maybe they were amplifying that noise. But I still hear it when I remove them.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Uploaded a video to illustrate the noise better as I did not know how to describe it properly. Here's the

As I said I only notice it while accelerating from a stop to around 35 mph. Is this a "normal" sound for the I-Pace or do other people not have it and I should have the dealer check it out? Apologies for all the questions, but I never had an EV before so don't know what is considered "normal" EV driving noise. Any input/comments/advice would be deeply appreciated

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzvy View Post
Uploaded a video to illustrate the noise better as I did not know how to describe it properly. Here's the video

As I said I only notice it while accelerating from a stop to around 35 mph. Is this a "normal" sound for the I-Pace or do other people not have it and I should have the dealer check it out? Apologies for all the questions, but I never had an EV before so don't know what is considered "normal" EV driving noise. Any input/comments/advice would be deeply appreciated
That sounds like the fake internal sound. What setting do you have it in? I have mine in the middle. You know "CALM-----X-----DYNAMIC"
-Ben
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:32 PM

I agree - its the intended cabin sound. Mine is set at CALM so barely audible, but what I heard in the above video seems the middle setting? Not the AVAS, mind you, but an *internal* sound to give some indication of speed. Some like it, some don't.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Mine is set to CALM. Maybe I should try changing it back and forth to see if it makes a difference. Thanks Ben and dtgsrq for the input.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:51 PM

Definitely sounds typical to me.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page