Windshield heater design causing 'starry' nighttime lights? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Windshield heater design causing 'starry' nighttime lights?

Anyone else notice a slight 'starry' or hazy effect to lights viewed through the I-Pace windshield at night? Believe it or not tonight (Day 18 of ownership) was my first extended period driving at night. Windshield was *super* clean (Eco Green Auto Clean) and this was NOT a side effect of my eyesight. I have the heated windshield (so useful for those frosty Florida nights), not an option I would have purposefully chosen but accepted a 98% match FE when my ordered build arrived incorrect. So for any of you owners with the heated windshield, do you also notice the very fine 'hairlike' wiring in the windshield seems to produce an ever-so slight haze on nighttime bright lights (brake lights, headlights, streetlights, etc.)?
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:44 PM

No, I haven't seen that. What I did notice was a vertical line of non-defrosted area 1/2" wide down the center of the windshield. I assume that is a limitation of the design.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 AM

I haven’t driven at night but I can see it even during day creating a pattern/reduction in clarity, and specially in the HUD display (text looks fuzzy). It was so disturbing that I special ordered a non FE without the heater. But most people seem to not see them, or it doesn’t bother them, or like the functionality.

I asked about replacing with a non heated windshield but apparently that will cause errors and potential issues from the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM

Great. Now that it was mentioned, I do see the wires. BAH!

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:34 PM

“There are not the wires you are looking for....”

Seriously putting it out if your mind and you’ll stop noticing, if it didn’t bother you before it really won’t once you stop looking for it. I’m a weird case in that even windshield glass quality in cars is noticeable to me.
McRat and ryzvy like this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:49 AM

YES, I absolutely notice it. Sometimes in certain conditions and street lights it is more annoying than other times. It seems streets, or light from above makes it the most noticeable. Like you I wouldn't have picked it, if I had known, but it came with the FE.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Had I seen this blog post I might have saved myself much headache - now my wife refuses to drive it at night.
Lesson learned: ALWAYS take a test drive AT NIGHT. (but who does this???)

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/29/...ive-you-crazy/
epirali likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:34 AM

It took me a while to even notice that I had windshield heating, as I didnt configure my car and just went to the dealership and got what they had. These squiggly heat lines havent bothered me in any driving conditions or light and my wife has never mentioned anything either.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:25 AM

I did do my check ride at night (wasn't supposed to, but did) and didn't see the lines.

I focus very far way. So much like a dashcam, the wires don't show. But after I went to actively look for them, then I focused up close, and voila, I saw something I would not have intentionally ordered.

But there's a story here, and some clever engineering for the US (perhaps other markets too).

The FMVSS (Federal equipment safety regs) now requires the windshield be clear in X minutes when fogged up and cold. This is a problem for EVs. To defrost a window on the inside, you need dry air. That is air conditioned air. And you need heat to dissolve the water. So with an EV that has just a AC unit, you need to have a resistance heater and blower to warm the AC air that defogs your windshield. This is a big waste of energy. The I-Pace has a Heat Pump IIRC, which can either create cold dry air, or warm air but not both. Other EVs with heat pumps use a resistive heater and the heat pump to defog. But the I-Pace can use less power to do the same job by just heating the glass itself, which negates the need for dry air. The Heat Pump is now allowed to heat your cabin if you wish (and it is efficient at it) and the resistive glass heater uses far less power than an electric cabin heater.

So those little wires allow your car get warm quicker and use less power to do it. A byproduct is the cabin heater is more efficient also when defrosting/defogging is not an issue.
PGhiron likes this.

Last edited by McRat; 01-12-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I did do my check ride at night (wasn't supposed to, but did) and didn't see the lines.
So those little wires allow your car get warm quicker and use less power to do it. A byproduct is the cabin heater is more efficient also when defrosting is not an issue.
This is a good point for an EV, but considering one of my many complains about RR was the inclusion of the exact same "feature" by default in some of their cars (ICE) I think its one of those corporate decisions pre-EV that just happens to be beneficial for the I-Pace (not a volitional design choice).

When I looked at the RR Sport for wife besides rejecting it for many other reasons we had the EXACT same discussion about deleting the heated windshield or replacing with non heated and was told the same as with the I-Pace, no can do. And this was 4 years ago.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page