Windshield heater design causing 'starry' nighttime lights? - Page 4 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:14 PM

My experience is like yours.

It sometimes rises to my slight notice (mostly in lower sun positions with peak glare, and not at night).

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
It must be a highly personal thing or some kind of vision related thing then, as it doesn't bother me one bit.
I think this is exactly it. Some people are not at all bothered. I am extremly sensitive to lack of clarity and color in anything visual, this applies to noticing the QUALITY of the windshield glass (I am not talking about heating element, I am talking about small ripples) to the quality of displays on devices. This actually is a big part of why I choose Apple products (very high quality displays), sunglasses that must be high quality optical glass and will even notice in some manufacturers third party windshields actually have better optics than the OEM (I am looking at you JLR).

The heated windshield was a deal breaker for me on the FE. I ordered mine without and it is so much better, but even without I see the low quality ripples specially in the HUD reflection. IF someone is sensitive I would strongly advise NOT to get the heated windshield, I don't think some will ever get used to it.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:04 PM

So I had a rock hit the edge of the windshield and it caused an immediate split across the middle. I have the heated windshield. I filed a claim with insurance to get replaced which is no deductible for me. Scheduled thru Safelite who ordered the windshield from Jaguar Carlsbad which shows a replacement cost of $1800 and some change. Not sure the labor that Safelite billed on top, but it took the guy 2.5 hours when he estimated 1.5 originally. He had to unmount the mirror and sensor array, detach the A pillar trims, and get in under behind the frunk where the batteries sit, so lots of detaching and reattaching.

I would gather if you wanted to just swap the heated windshield for a non-heated one, you might be looking at $2K if you did out of pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CAA8E057246_1566687306972.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	2409  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanstein View Post
So I had a rock hit the edge of the windshield and it caused an immediate split across the middle. I have the heated windshield. I filed a claim with insurance to get replaced which is no deductible for me. Scheduled thru Safelite who ordered the windshield from Jaguar Carlsbad which shows a replacement cost of $1800 and some change. Not sure the labor that Safelite billed on top, but it took the guy 2.5 hours when he estimated 1.5 originally. He had to unmount the mirror and sensor array, detach the A pillar trims, and get in under behind the frunk where the batteries sit, so lots of detaching and reattaching.

I would gather if you wanted to just swap the heated windshield for a non-heated one, you might be looking at $2K if you did out of pocket.
Funny, that's about the figure JLR determined it would cost when they decided they would refuse to change out my heated windshield for non-heated one (after ordering one sent to the dealer), and then decided to just offer me "customer goodwill" payment. Even so, they told me if I *did* use that money to swap out the heated windshield, I would void the warranty on the I-Pace due to 'an unauthorized modification'. Ultimately resulted in a trade-in! Bottom line: JLR will NOT let you replace the heated windshield with non-heated since they have no confidence (idea?) what it would do to the cars' systems and apparently do not wish to find out.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:28 PM

I am not sure in your state, but in California, they cannot claim a warranty for the entire vehicle is voided for replacing one component with a substitute part. This stems from years back when users or independent repair shops replaced parts with non-OEM ones.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanstein View Post
I am not sure in your state, but in California, they cannot claim a warranty for the entire vehicle is voided for replacing one component with a substitute part. This stems from years back when users or independent repair shops replaced parts with non-OEM ones.
Possibly, but if they voided the 'electronics' warranty for that windshield change, the rest of the car is relatively worthless.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page