Windshield heater design causing 'starry' nighttime lights? - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

FYI, I got word today from a JLR corporate case manager that their engineers have verified the non-heated windshield CAN be swapped out for the heated version. This news contradicts the original dealership inquiry coming back with "no can do". I found that initial response illogical given the software control of nearly everything from HVAC to steering on the I-Pace. Glad to have been vindicated today.
epirali likes this.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:56 PM

I drove a loaner F-pace last night, and it is just as noticeable in that car as well.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
FYI, I got word today from a JLR corporate case manager that their engineers have verified the non-heated windshield CAN be swapped out for the heated version. This news contradicts the original dealership inquiry coming back with "no can do". I found that initial response illogical given the software control of nearly everything from HVAC to steering on the I-Pace. Glad to have been vindicated today.
Thanks for this - I'm going to take this up with my dealer.

I have had my I-Pace for a week now and I love the car. I haven't had any real glitches yet and some of the complaints (like slow touch screens) don't really bother me.

BUT the heated windshield is driving me crazy. At night it causes the refracted blurry stars and in the daytime it's like looking through a screen door. I have to try to get this replaced.
dtgsrq likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
Thanks for this - I'm going to take this up with my dealer.

I have had my I-Pace for a week now and I love the car. I haven't had any real glitches yet and some of the complaints (like slow touch screens) don't really bother me.

BUT the heated windshield is driving me crazy. At night it causes the refracted blurry stars and in the daytime it's like looking through a screen door. I have to try to get this replaced.
Are you perhaps focusing on it as opposed to through it? I get far more reflections from the speaker grid in the center than I get from the heated windshield. Also what color is your interior?
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Are you perhaps focusing on it as opposed to through it? I get far more reflections from the speaker grid in the center than I get from the heated windshield. Also what color is your interior?
My dash is black (oyster interior).

I'm not consciously focusing on it - but it is really annoying and I can't say to what degree it is happening subconsciously, at least not in the day time. At night it is inescapable.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 PM

I really don't have a problem with it. Maybe reclean the interior and exterior? Do you wear glasses?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

This thread is now several months old. Without penning a novel detailing all the drama, after 2 1/2 months of back and forth trying to actually get it done (swap out the heated windshield in my FE for a non-heated windshield), even AFTER they ordered a non-heated windshield and sent it to my dealer for installation... at the very last minute (day before it was to be done), JLR flip-flopped on the decision to swap out the heated windshield.... saying if I did it, it would be a "unauthorized modification" and would void the factory warranty. This is NOT a car for which you want to "opt out" of a warranty!
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 AM

Wow WTF! Are you going to keep pushing back?
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I really don't have a problem with it. Maybe reclean the interior and exterior? Do you wear glasses?
The car is a week old, it's still almost pristinely clean (but I have wiped the inside of the glass). I don't wear glasses. I'm confident that it isnt' a glare issue or anything like that, it is precisely because of how the heating elements are embedded into the glass. That said, I have noticed that in some daytime lighting conditions, I don't really see it or if I do, I don't notice it. Nighttime, it's impossible not to notice IMO, just depends on how much it bothers.

It's unfortunate, I live on the coast in the Southeast, you rarely would even think of wanting a heated windshield.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:29 PM

It must be a highly personal thing or some kind of vision related thing then, as it doesn't bother me one bit. I do have anti-glare on my glasses, but I think that just effects the glasses themselves, not the rest of glare in the world. Just trying to think why it bothers some so much and not others at all. I can see the pattern if I look for it, but it's just regular glare with a pattern. In certain angles of sun, it's a mildly dirty windshield effect.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page