What to love or hate about the 2018+ Jaguar I-Pace? - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
There was a comparison in a euro magazine that compared the true range of the Model X to the i-Pace, and the i-Pace would go further on a charge. I'll see if I can find that article. Tesla exaggerated their number, Jaguar hit their number.
https://www.whatcar.com/news/what-ca...l-world/n18159

This may be the article you were thinking of.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
https://www.whatcar.com/news/what-ca...l-world/n18159

This may be the article you were thinking of.
Wow. The same 253 mile range I originally had before I started playing Fast n' Furious with it.
WattAJag likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorachef View Post
My Tesla was a 90D and range was 265 and very accurate to getting that as actual range. I'm surprised to hear your seeing 253, mine is nowhere near that so maybe tech in NJ will find something up with my car. Did recently learn that my battery software is on v13.2 vs 14.2 and informed dealer about that today. Their looking into why I'm not on the latest software and how to update.
Odd. I can take nearly any car and cut it's economy by 75% by tracking it. Or I can increase it's economy 10-30% by driving in 'conservation of energy' mode. That's where you try not to ever brake, with regen set to low. Or in a gas car, using only engine braking.

The fact you'd get the same mileage all year round in all kinds of driving is puzzling indeed.
phil likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
My Tesla was a 90D and range was 265 and very accurate to getting that as actual range. I'm surprised to hear your seeing 253, mine is nowhere near that so maybe tech in NJ will find something up with my car. Did recently learn that my battery software is on v13.2 vs 14.2 and informed dealer about that today. Their looking into why I'm not on the latest software and how to update.

So far for the first few days of ownership, driving, & daily charging, my I-Pace has been charging up to the 240's (mi.) each night which is where I've been starting my daily drives.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I traded a Tesla Model X for my I-Pace.

Immediately I loved the quality of build, fit & finish close to flawless, performance, handling, etc. I'm not loving the Goodyear tires wrapped on the 20's. I do love the interior, but actually miss my soft cushy white seats from the Tesla. I'm sure the leather on the I-Pace will break in over time.

My biggest gripe is with the range. For a $90k car with 90kw battery, I feel we should be seeing closer to 280 range vs lower 200. My display range has dropped over the last few weeks of owning and I barely use heater or a/c or drive it hard. I complained about this to my dealer who is still working with tech office in NJ to figure out if the car is getting the proper range. They did a battery reset once and it charged to 279, then next two charges were in the 240's, then drop to 230's, then to 220's now 211-213. Coming from Tesla this is really odd results. My Tesla charged full to 265 99% of the time; sometimes dropped to 261, but never lower. I feel it was much more efficient for consumption as well. I drove it up and down CA multiple times with ease and just needing a quick stop at a supercharger here and there. In the I-Pace I would not try a drive from Nor Cal to So Cal. I'm sure it is possible, but it would take way too long with stops and waiting for charging.

I'm also surprised to see they went with a 7kw on board charger and limiting to 120 for dc fast charging. Home Tesla High Amp (80a) wall charger was putting out 54 miles per hour vs the Chargepoint w/ I-Pace 20 miles per hour. My Tesla did have the upgraded high speed onboard charger which I believe was 17kw or so. I don't agree with the philosophy that home charging should just be a slow overnight thing. Being in the bay area I drive all over the place all the time and want to be able to charge up a decent amount without needing to wait hours.
I believe you are confusing charging the battery with the car’s predictive range. You don’t charge to a certain mileage, you charge the battery to a percent and then the car provides a theoretical distance to empty. I don’t know how Tesla arrived at their theoretical prediction, but the Jag is a ‘learning’ algorithm, so your theoretical range is going to change based on what Jaguar has collected in data. Your charging changed and you haven’t ‘lost’ range, but based on your driving history you are seeing a more realistic range prediction
phil, Time2Roll and fedorachef like this.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Shouldn't battery version/updates be done OTA? Or is that a dealership only update?
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
I believe you are confusing charging the battery with the car’s predictive range. You don’t charge to a certain mileage, you charge the battery to a percent and then the car provides a theoretical distance to empty. I don’t know how Tesla arrived at their theoretical prediction, but the Jag is a ‘learning’ algorithm, so your theoretical range is going to change based on what Jaguar has collected in data. Your charging changed and you haven’t ‘lost’ range, but based on your driving history you are seeing a more realistic range prediction
Yup, I think your right. I'm just use to always seeing a certain mileage number after 100% charge and feeling like that's what I got on long road trips. With the I-Pace I have not taken it on a long road trip and have not depleted the battery. I also did not do any proper tracking when I had the Tesla. After reading the article from What Car? on how they did real range tracking I can see where you guys are coming from and where I gotta be wrong.

So in their test they see 253 as real range on the I-Pace. Right now after a 100% charge my I-Pace is showing 213 range (which I understand now is estimated). So lets say I want to go on a long road trip, say 300 miles in distance. With the short in town trips I've been making and current driving behavior, environment, etc. the car estimates I will get 213 miles. So would I see that possibly increase if ideal road, weather, driving conditions, etc and I may get closer to the 253 real range number on the long road trip? I know I'm probably missing some important details here, but maybe you see where I'm going and that really I'm trying to see and understand the range. So when What Car? and others state real range of 253, 240, 234, etc (all numbers I have seen quoted) I'm not understanding why I'm not seeing that number after a full charge. It's a bit confusing to me as you can probably tell. When I jump in my car, I see 211 or 213 miles and I think, "that's it"?

The service manager at the dealership I'm working with is also confused on how the range works and he is working with someone from the Jaguar NJ office, which apparently is or one of the main offices. Yesterday he said an engineer told him that the main issue they are seeing for not getting the quoted 240 range is not using preconditioning so that the battery is at the right temp. He stated the ideal temp is 80 degrees and range increases when operating at ideal temp. I don't know anything about the preconditioning. I didn't turn it on because I don't have a set schedule when I use the car. To me it seemed like you had to set each day when you plan to take the car out, but maybe I'm not understanding that.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Shouldn't battery version/updates be done OTA? Or is that a dealership only update?
Others may know, but I'm not sure. Hoping to have that answer from my dealership today. They have a ticket in with the NJ tech line.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
So far for the first few days of ownership, driving, & daily charging, my I-Pace has been charging up to the 240's (mi.) each night which is where I've been starting my daily drives.
I'm curious to see how that changes over time.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:58 PM

No predictive algorithm can give you a consistent answer if the input data vary as much as they do with electric vehicles.

Your input data vary greatly for two reasons:

One, your driving varies. (I could list the parameters, but you all know what they are: your style, the terrain, traffic, etc)
Two, batteries' "performance" varies depending on both outside and in-battery conditions: Charging the battery to "full" is dependent on temperature; discharging efficiency is dependent on temperature, charging state, discharge speed, etc.

You simply can't expect the predictive algorithm to give you the same number every time, or to give you the same number some test cycle has come up with.

YOUR MILEAGE WILL VARY

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page