Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

My First Problem

18K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  WattAJag 
#1 ·
Less than 400 miles on the car and ...

I agreed to a dealer upgrade of IBEX paint sealer & leather sealer with a 7 year warranty. So, I left my perfectly functioning car with them. As the valet was driving the car back to me, he kept moving a few feet & stopping. I walked over to him, and he asked how to turn off the parking brake. But, that wasn't the problem. The car would just SHUDDER violently when you tried to accelerate at all and it popped up "Okay to drive in limited power mode". Also, the traction control warning light came on. It would work normally in Reverse, but not in Drive.

They took got it into the techs who hooked up their computer and claimed that the Speed Limiter had been set to 0 or 1 MPH and the car didn't want to go "past" that. He reset it. I was sure that the detail guys sprayed something, or pressed combos of buttons.

So, the car worked fine for the next 14 hours, then I was at a stop light and wanted to do a mildly hard accelerate (not flooring it or anything) and suddenly the problem was back. Shudder, shudder, shudder - until I got over 30 MPH, then it smoothed out, but the throttle response was poor. And the warning lights were all back.

I happened to be near the dealer, so I limped over there - TWERKING like mad every time I had to slow below 30. It's Saturday, so the techs who know anything about the I-Pace weren't in. But, some of the folks there tried pressing buttons (speed limiter & mode). And, they sent me to get a loaner. While I was doing the paperwork, the service guy ran up and says the warning lights went away (neither I nor he really knew what they did). So, he said we should take it for a test drive. So, we turned down a side street. It seemed normal for a minute. Then, I tried a hard accelerate again and SHUDDER SHUDDER SHUDDER - lights came on ... and now the throttle did nothing - forwards or in reverse.

Then, to make it even worse - I couldn't get the Regen off. The service guy was trying to push me to the next driveway (which was the back way into the dealership) and he could barely move us. Took like 10 guys to get the car off the road. And, that's where it sits for now - until somebody can look at it on Monday. :crying:

Does this sound like ANYTHING anybody else has had? I hope not many of you, but I am hoping it's happened ONCE before so they know how to fix it ... ?!!! :crying: :crying: :crying:

See less See more
#5 ·
**** that sucks about the shudder problem. When I first drove mine home I heard a knocking noise coming from the driver front suspension side. Sounded like a loose strut. Took it back to the dealer and they found Jag has a service bulletin for it. From what I was told by the service manager, there is a miss manufactured part in the strut/air bag assembly and they are building a new one. Said new strut assembly from both front will be available 51st week so second to last week in December.

#6 · (Edited)
Wow. That sucks. :( I hope they gave you something nice as a loaner.

The fact a Jaguar employee or sub-contractor asked you how to release the parking brake is scary.

Get a fresh service ticket every time they say they fixed it in case you must lemon it. Even if it doesn't make it around the block.

#7 ·
If that happened to us today, that probably would have been it. My wife wasn't completely sold on the idea of a pure EV, and I drove her out to High Desert to have breakfast. Getting stranded there would have been... bad.

Reactions: phil
#8 ·
Great way to spend a Saturday morning :)

Well that sort of stuff happens with the first few production units of fossil cars as well. Jags are not known for their out of the box reliability so if people want something "safer" they should just go with a >yawn< lexus.

#12 ·
Interesting development. Thanks to the In Control app, I can see that my car has been taken on two separate 1.1 mile low speed journeys this morning. And, that it is currently unlocked with the hood open! Big Owner is watching!! Have not heard any official news, yet.

#15 ·
So, I have to wait until tomorrow to find out anything on possible resolution, but late today I was finally told that the technicians looking at my car (no doubt, the first one they've ever had to work on) have diagnosed that I need an entirely new Front Drive Motor (at 370 miles and after 3 days). Sorry, but - WTAF?!!! (Hope that doesn't violate rules here, but I have no other words).

I'm trying to decide out now if I need a lawyer and try to force getting a new vehicle.

#19 · (Edited)
Knowing that particular dealership very well, if it was me, I would be asking to get the JLR West Coast rep on a conference call. I don't think they have the expertise at this moment to do that magnitude a fix. If they have the vehicle over 30 days you can invoke the AZ Lemon Law. Might be better for them to agree now, rather than 30 days from now, that 370 miles/3 days qualifies for a new vehicle. If this was an ICE vehicle and the engine lasted 3 days you would for sure be asking for a new vehicle!

#27 ·
Sorry I don't.

Just relating experience from my RAV4-EV (early Tesla drive unit) and many others that had consternation about a drive unit replacement. They all worked out fine with no ongoing issues. I believe it is mostly plug and play with these things now. What you don't want to know is what the replacement cost would be if out of warranty. You will have lots of time to determine if the job goes well.

#22 ·
While unusual, if I were running JLR, I would rewind the transaction if the buyer requested it. It's still at the 'demo car' mileage, and it should be fixed and used as a demo, and the customer should get another. Because their repair techs aren't at 100% yet, so they risk a buyback which is more expensive. And 1 unhappy customer tells 10, and 10 happy customers will tell about 10 people on average.

#28 · (Edited)
Wow! I really can't say enough about how well Jag of North Scottsdale is behaving through all this. Without batting an eyelash and with complete understanding of my position & feelings, they are already starting the process of unwinding the first sale, and offered me a choice of 2 other new I-Paces (both HSE's and with the light oyster interior we need in AZ). One they had today with fewer options (and cheaper), or one (the one I picked) which they are expecting in 2 weeks and which is, in fact, in the Caesium Blue I actually prefer. We will speak more tomorrow about officially unwinding the sale, but they are completely comfortable working to make it right.

I do really appreciate all the comments & suggestions from you all. It helped me navigate a situation I've never had before. I had my position clearly in my mind: (Prior to Norwegian's comment above!) I felt that this couldn't be a widespread problem as nobody had claimed similar symptoms. So, I still wanted an I-Pace. But, they were about to ask me to have major organ replacement surgery done on my brand new car by somebody who was basically fresh out of Med School. And, it would never really feel like a "new" car again. And, the shaking it was doing felt like it would be loosening every screw & weld in the car. I had just bought (I believe) the most expensive car on their lot, and I wanted one that I could keep "perfect" for a long time as I always do with my cars.

I was so ready for an argument ... But, I didn't get one. Not in the slightest. (No "abuse" either because arguments are down the hall!) They were perfectly willing to do whatever I wanted that was within their control to do. I texted my salesman last night that I didn't hold THEM at fault for "the problem" - but what was theirs to control was the solution. And, he brightened my day with one phone call. I don't get my new car for a couple weeks, but I have a loaner to use until then.

Not sure what will be involved in unwinding all the financing, licensing, registration, etc ... but we'll start that tomorrow as it was too late in the day today.

So, I have to say that I'm pleased with the resolution and the attitudes of everybody I dealt with there. And, feeling very lucky to have dodged a problem car. Now THEY can take as long as they like to fix it.

I did drive a car without the Adaptive Dynamics & ASI - and I felt like I was feeling the bumps more. Might have been my imagination, but I didn't think it was as smooth as my 1st Edition. So, I opted to wait a couple weeks for the better equipped Blue HSE.

So, my question - anybody got any idea what I will miss that's ONLY available from a 1st Edition (besides the paint)?

#32 ·
What's equipped on the new blue HSE? I took delivery on my blue HSE over the weekend. Kept it pretty simple as far as upgrades and I'm more than happy with it. Didn't add the adaptive dynamics and stuck with the standard 20in wheels. Don't really feel that I'm missing out. I liked the HUD on my test drive and kinda wish I ordered it otherwise I'm more than happy with what I received.

#35 ·
It's a pretty good list. It took the price up to within $600 of the 1st Edition ...

Cabin Air Ionization
Loadspace Partition Net
Lockable Cooled Glovebox
20" 5-spoke Gloss Black finish wheels
Gloss Black Grille/Surround
Gloss Black Window Surround
HUD
Heated/Cooled 18-Way Memory seats
Fog Lamps
Config Ambient Lighting
AdSR
Meridian Sound
Auto-Dim, Power Fold, Heated Mirrors with Approach Lights
Headlamp Washers
Adaptive Cruise/Steering Assist
Gesture Tailgate
360 Camera
Blind Spot Assist
High Speed EAB

What I wonder about are: Will it have rubber mats in the back - those looked great! I assume I could order those. And, will it have a leather dash board - which also looked great. Neither are deal-breakers.

#36 ·
On day 1, with 67 miles, my screens went dead. The odometer screen still worked but the other two screens stopped working. They seemed to be frozen as you could still see a slight backlight. I took it in and they ended up replacing three modules (brains). I had been driving it for 3 days, after getting it back from the dealer, and the screens went dead on me again this afternoon and I'm now at just under 300 miles. I have to take it back yet again to see what is wrong. They apologize profusely but I never had issues with my 1st generation Tesla Model S until thousands of miles. It is very frustrating as I love the car but, without those two screens, I can't use navigation, listen to music, control my climate, use cameras, etc etc....... :-(

#37 ·
After few days of nice driving the alarm came up with stabilization problem and the car vent to the emergency mode. No reverse or parking possible since the car said it had too high speed. A reset of the computer who has to be to disconnect the battery made it reset. After a day it came back again. After a month of fault finding and taking the car apart supervised from the factory they have now settle for changing the front motor. 14 days delivery time and we'll see if this is the solution. I've had a simular car for loan in the mean time with no problems but I hope I haven'nt got a monday car with more problems to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.