My First Problem - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

My First Problem

Less than 400 miles on the car and ...

I agreed to a dealer upgrade of IBEX paint sealer & leather sealer with a 7 year warranty. So, I left my perfectly functioning car with them. As the valet was driving the car back to me, he kept moving a few feet & stopping. I walked over to him, and he asked how to turn off the parking brake. But, that wasn't the problem. The car would just SHUDDER violently when you tried to accelerate at all and it popped up "Okay to drive in limited power mode". Also, the traction control warning light came on. It would work normally in Reverse, but not in Drive.

They took got it into the techs who hooked up their computer and claimed that the Speed Limiter had been set to 0 or 1 MPH and the car didn't want to go "past" that. He reset it. I was sure that the detail guys sprayed something, or pressed combos of buttons.

So, the car worked fine for the next 14 hours, then I was at a stop light and wanted to do a mildly hard accelerate (not flooring it or anything) and suddenly the problem was back. Shudder, shudder, shudder - until I got over 30 MPH, then it smoothed out, but the throttle response was poor. And the warning lights were all back.

I happened to be near the dealer, so I limped over there - TWERKING like mad every time I had to slow below 30. It's Saturday, so the techs who know anything about the I-Pace weren't in. But, some of the folks there tried pressing buttons (speed limiter & mode). And, they sent me to get a loaner. While I was doing the paperwork, the service guy ran up and says the warning lights went away (neither I nor he really knew what they did). So, he said we should take it for a test drive. So, we turned down a side street. It seemed normal for a minute. Then, I tried a hard accelerate again and SHUDDER SHUDDER SHUDDER - lights came on ... and now the throttle did nothing - forwards or in reverse.

Then, to make it even worse - I couldn't get the Regen off. The service guy was trying to push me to the next driveway (which was the back way into the dealership) and he could barely move us. Took like 10 guys to get the car off the road. And, that's where it sits for now - until somebody can look at it on Monday.

Does this sound like ANYTHING anybody else has had? I hope not many of you, but I am hoping it's happened ONCE before so they know how to fix it ... ?!!!
post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:34 PM

Sorry to hear growing pains suck for early adopters. Most likely it’s sensors or firmware (just guessing). Hopefully a quick resolution.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

I second the early adopter sentiment. You have to be prepared for '**** happens'.
It does sound like a hardware problem ... best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was thinking Throttle Position Sensor or something.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:05 PM

**** that sucks about the shudder problem. When I first drove mine home I heard a knocking noise coming from the driver front suspension side. Sounded like a loose strut. Took it back to the dealer and they found Jag has a service bulletin for it. From what I was told by the service manager, there is a miss manufactured part in the strut/air bag assembly and they are building a new one. Said new strut assembly from both front will be available 51st week so second to last week in December.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Wow. That sucks. I hope they gave you something nice as a loaner.

The fact a Jaguar employee or sub-contractor asked you how to release the parking brake is scary.

Get a fresh service ticket every time they say they fixed it in case you must lemon it. Even if it doesn't make it around the block.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 12-01-2018 at 05:29 PM.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:37 PM

If that happened to us today, that probably would have been it. My wife wasn't completely sold on the idea of a pure EV, and I drove her out to High Desert to have breakfast. Getting stranded there would have been... bad.
phil likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
If that happened to us today, that probably would have been it. My wife wasn't completely sold on the idea of a pure EV, and I drove her out to High Desert to have breakfast. Getting stranded there would have been... bad.
Great way to spend a Saturday morning

Well that sort of stuff happens with the first few production units of fossil cars as well. Jags are not known for their out of the box reliability so if people want something "safer" they should just go with a >yawn< lexus.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorachef View Post
**** that sucks about the shudder problem. When I first drove mine home I heard a knocking noise coming from the driver front suspension side. Sounded like a loose strut. Took it back to the dealer and they found Jag has a service bulletin for it. From what I was told by the service manager, there is a miss manufactured part in the strut/air bag assembly and they are building a new one. Said new strut assembly from both front will be available 51st week so second to last week in December.
Here’s the bulletin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4E8EA41-9DE2-4AE5-98C5-3514348A94F6_1543702821972.png
Views:	537
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	709  
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 06:44 PM

Can't wait until Monday's outcome...

Sure hope it's software related. Even if it takes a call to London to get it right.

Please keep us updated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page