7500 federal - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Chicks dig guys with $90,000 cars...
"The Vette gets them wet" - True Lies, Bill Paxton (RIP)

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
US has a 2.5% tariff and no VAT.
Just out of curiosity: No Sales Tax on Cars in USA? (or is that what the 2.5% tariff is?)

Quote:
Price a Corvette in France vs. USA for a real eye opener. $96,000 in France, and $55,500 in the USA for the same version. That's not 30%.
I'm with Trump (surprisingly perhaps).

USA has been paying for United Nations and past presidents (forever??) have turned a blind eye to all the other countries (except perhaps UK) who have claimed poverty. Dunno about you, but THAT GUY who is "first out of the taxi, last to the bar" is not welcome at the party after the first couple of times he pulls that trick.

and WTF are the rest of the world doing complaining about Trump's tariffs?

Surely he doesn't actually want Tariffs, but just wants a level playing field and is saying "Put up or shut up".

WTF is everyone going "That's outrageous & unilateral, we'll put up our tariffs to match"

Perhaps there is something else (fuel prices low in USA, so some redress required to "balance" perhaps, and maybe some subsidies which make a given USA product artificially low)

But am I right that America has been wallet-out providing an all-you-can-eat service for everyone else? if so, then all good things come to an end and the RoW had better just bite their bottom lip.

Bit like BRExit. "We've got to have a trade deal with EU" - why? Big industrialists are saying "Even if no trade deal the Tariffs will be a few percent; after we sign a contract the currency rate can move more than that by the time we wake up the next day ... so tariffs are the least of our worries"

I guess I have an oversimplified view and life's-not-actually-like-that and I should make myself a banner and join the "We hate Trump march" ... he's going to be here in a few days isn't he? That WILL be fun
phil likes this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaOwner View Post
Just out of curiosity: No Sales Tax on Cars in USA? (or is that what the 2.5% tariff is?)

I'm with Trump (surprisingly perhaps).

USA has been paying for United Nations and past presidents (forever??) have turned a blind eye to all the other countries (except perhaps UK) who have claimed poverty. Dunno about you, but THAT GUY who is "first out of the taxi, last to the bar" is not welcome at the party after the first couple of times he pulls that trick.

and WTF are the rest of the world doing complaining about Trump's tariffs?

Surely he doesn't actually want Tariffs, but just wants a level playing field and is saying "Put up or shut up".

WTF is everyone going "That's outrageous & unilateral, we'll put up our tariffs to match"

Perhaps there is something else (fuel prices low in USA, so some redress required to "balance" perhaps, and maybe some subsidies which make a given USA product artificially low)

But am I right that America has been wallet-out providing an all-you-can-eat service for everyone else? if so, then all good things come to an end and the RoW had better just bite their bottom lip.

Bit like BRExit. "We've got to have a trade deal with EU" - why? Big industrialists are saying "Even if no trade deal the Tariffs will be a few percent; after we sign a contract the currency rate can move more than that by the time we wake up the next day ... so tariffs are the least of our worries"

I guess I have an oversimplified view and life's-not-actually-like-that and I should make myself a banner and join the "We hate Trump march" ... he's going to be here in a few days isn't he? That WILL be fun
Sales tax is by State, County, City in the US. State sales tax goes from 0% to about 10% depending where you purchase. It applies to all cars, but sometimes has exemptions/reductions. There is no Federal sales tax. Yet. There is a Federal Gas Guzzler tax for thirsty personal vehicles and light trucks.

So no matter whether a car is imported or domestic, the tax is equal or can be $0.
TeslaOwner likes this.

Last edited by McRat; 07-03-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Price a Corvette in France vs. USA for a real eye opener. $96,000 in France, and $55,500 in the USA for the same version. That's not 30%.
It's 73%. What accounts for the other ~40%?
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
It's 73%. What accounts for the other ~40%?
I do not know.

If you compare the Toyota RAV4 US price and French price you see a smaller, but similar "WTF" gap. So it's not a luxury tax, it's not entirely low import numbers, and it's not engine size or power.

Other EU countries have bigger or smaller gaps. But all of them have gaps on imported cars that exceed tariffs and VAT.

Asia can be really bad. 100% tariff on imported motorcycles in India, and IIRC, 80% in Thailand. Brazil has high levels, Malaysia?, etc.

"Free Trade" is a joke as are "Tariffs" and "Trade Wars". There is a lot of hanky panky going on. You need to look at MSRPs differences in countries, and ignore all the rhetoric.

A $38,000 Chevy Volt sold for $101,000 in China. This is because GM refused to turn over all the IP for the Volt.
TeslaOwner likes this.

Last edited by McRat; 07-03-2018 at 03:04 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 04:04 PM

A broken clock is right twice a day. It's still broken and useless. Tariffs, subsidies, and the international trade situation are much more complex than Trump and most people make them out to be. We have the chicken tax, farm subsidies, tax credits, and a million other things going on. Should there be changes? Sure. Is this all being handled well? Not even close. A trade war hurts everyone except for the politicians who grandstand over it. Nobody plays fair, and running a trade deficit isn't necessarily a bad thing. For one thing, free trade has kept US inflation way down, increasing our standard of living in many ways while also increasing the standard of living in China and much of the rest of the world. Trade is a net benefit for all. Haven't you played Civilization???
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl View Post
for the love of electricity... ugh.

Jag Middle.pdf:
Your file of 653.4 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype.
MyTeslaDesign_06-29-2018.pdf:
Your file of 187.4 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype.

Can we up the size limit on PDFs?

thanks

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page