US Federal Tax Credits - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:24 PM

I'm looking at purchasing a second I Pace. The one I'm looking at is a dealer demo never titled w/ 3000 miles, but listed as used w/ a CPO warranty. Anyone know if this vehicle is eligible for the tax credit?
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 01:13 PM

The only thing that matters is whether or not it’s been titled. The tax credit goes to the first person or entity the vehicle is titled to.
nath_h and Deutsch100 like this.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:11 PM

I purchased mine form Ray Catena Jaguar dealer demo with 3k miles on it, which they received from corporate headquarters in Mahwah NJ. It was one of the 19 they received from JLR. Never titled. I was told I am eligible for 7500 $ Tax Credit. They extended warranty upto. 8yr 100k miles on it. O deductible.
Deutsch100 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Correction 6yr/100k
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 12:07 PM

Garage
I wanted to get a head-start on filling out my taxes (at least the part I'm aware of) and was disappointed to see that the IRS hasn't issued a 2019 version of the Form 8936. Any idea how long the IRS takes to do that? I'm good as long as it's done in January.... the EV tax credit is worth waiting on... but I'd like to not wait too long!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:22 PM

New member and quick question: I'm negotiating with a few so cal dealers right now -- and one of them has stated that the final sale price includes the $7,500 federal incentive and that I wouldn't be claiming anything on my 2020 return. Can that be correct -- can the dealer include the incentive in the sale price? I purchased another electric car in the past, so I'm familiar with claiming the federal tax credit.

Thanks!
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floxin View Post
New member and quick question: I'm negotiating with a few so cal dealers right now -- and one of them has stated that the final sale price includes the $7,500 federal incentive and that I wouldn't be claiming anything on my 2020 return. Can that be correct -- can the dealer include the incentive in the sale price? I purchased another electric car in the past, so I'm familiar with claiming the federal tax credit.

Thanks!
If it is a lease, then yes. If it is a new car sale, then they shouldn't be able to.
kkemp, GratedWasabi and Floxin like this.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlug View Post
If it is a lease, then yes. If it is a new car sale, then they shouldn't be able to.
This. You don't get the tax credit if you lease, because you're renting the car. The company gets it and has to deduct it from the sales price.

In some cases a "new" car is NOT eligible for the tax credit even when purchased. This can happen if a car was a registered demo, for example.
Floxin likes this.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:40 PM

Right. My understanding was the credit goes to the first owner to title. Leasing company for the lease or first owner for the purchase. My suspicion then is that perhaps they are trying to sell me a registered demo --- but I would assume that this would preclude them from selling the vehicle and claiming it is "New".

Regardless, perhaps I should move on to another dealer.... Thanks all.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floxin View Post
Right. My understanding was the credit goes to the first owner to title. Leasing company for the lease or first owner for the purchase. My suspicion then is that perhaps they are trying to sell me a registered demo --- but I would assume that this would preclude them from selling the vehicle and claiming it is "New".

Regardless, perhaps I should move on to another dealer.... Thanks all.
Technically they can sell the car as "new" if it's a registered demo or dealer car, to an extent. It's definitely a shady tactic, though, and I quickly moved away from a dealer that was trying to pull the same.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page