Slow Charge Trips GFCI - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Slow Charge Trips GFCI

So just got my i-Pace. I don't get the 50AMP circuit done until Monday. No worries I'll just use the included charger. I've tried two different 20 AMP circuits. The charger immediately trips the GFCIs when the light goes green on the car. If I get creative with extension cords and plug it into an old non-GFCI outlet inside the house it doesn't trip and it appears to charge. Bad charger? Or are these normally this finicky?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:32 PM

Cant say i tried the level charger on gfi circuit. It works fine on just a regular socket in my garage. I do have a gfi circuit that gets tripped though with everything i plug into it - setup wrong. Do other things work properly from your plugs?

2020 Silicon Silver HSE
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:42 PM

I would start by swapping out the GFCI with a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:52 PM

Circuits could be miswired. Plugs could be bad. Charger could be bad. This is the first I've heard of a problem.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2014 Forester, and maybe going to get a Fiat 500e
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Poking around the EV forums for Bolts and Leafs this does come up from time to time. Sometimes it's the GFCI. Other times it's the charger. I'm less concerned about my house since I'll have the brand new 2020 version of Juice Box 40 up and running Monday. I'm more concerned if people have run into this trying to plug this into 120v outlets while on the road?

The first GFCI I tried was just installed Thursday by an electrician when I updated my panel to 200Amp service. It's likely a cheap builder grade CFCI. I could likely ask them to put a commercial or hospital grade one. But any house or renovation done in the last 10-15 years will have that builder "quality" of GFCI in the garage or outdoors.

In the meantime a closer look at the charger showed it's just a 10 amp device. So I plugged it into a non-GFCI 15A circuit and it seemed to work just fine.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:58 AM

It is rathe common with EVSE/cars dumping a spike current into ground on start of charging. For example early EVSEs (even Simons) would fault because of this with the Tesla Roadster. Over time they have changed how they trip to allow the initial ground spike and not count it as a problem. GFCIs are a pain and I am sure they would trip always. Heck my GFCIs trip sometimes when I turn on the lights!

So it doesn’t necessarily mean there is any issue. I have never plugged a 110 into a GFCI circuit, so can’t help. But I’ll do some tests at home and report.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:48 PM

Don't plug it into a GFCI circuit.

The 50a circuit won't be a GFCI circuit. The Chargpoint, Juicebox, etc., chargers that I looked at specifically state that they should not be connected to GFCI.

The Juicebox that I got states it has its own GFCI protection built-in.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 06:56 PM

It will trip GFI's. I've been told it's because the car has it's own breaker, though I haven't validated this.

Use a non-GFI outlet.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
Don't plug it into a GFCI circuit.

The 50a circuit won't be a GFCI circuit. The Chargpoint, Juicebox, etc., chargers that I looked at specifically state that they should not be connected to GFCI.

The Juicebox that I got states it has its own GFCI protection built-in.
Since this is a service update I won't be able to get around GFCI on a garage outlet... Well, until the inspection has completed.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:09 AM

Same thing happened to me when I first got the car. My house was less than a year old and passed all required inspections, so it wasn't a wiring issue. It could be the amps on the breaker for the GFCI outlet is below the spec required. I didn't bother to figure it out because I was getting the ChargePoint installed. I haven't thought about it in a couple of months.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page