1st EA Charge - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By eJeff
  • 1 Post By dtgsrq

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

1st EA Charge

I've had my I-Pace since March and have driven over 5,200 miles so far, but yesterday was the first time I had the need to venture far enough that I couldn't return home without a charge. After researching my destination, I found a nearby Electrify America charging station and set up an account on my phone. I think many of you are experienced with EA chargers, but I thought I'd report my experience anyway.

I arrived at the station at 40% SOC to find 3 of the stalls occupied: 2 by ICE cars taking advantage of the parking and 1 by a Tesla that was not charging. The 4th slot put the charger on the right side of the car, but I was able to back in and get one of the cords to reach. Starting the charge was flawless and very simple with the app, though the message on the screen was that the credit card reader was not working which would be a problem if you arrived without the app. It was a 150 kW charger, but my car only reached 68 kW at its peak gradually declining to 45 kW until I stopped at 85% SOC - which was plenty to get home. I added 39.77 kWh in 45 min at $0.69/min. Pretty expensive.

Overall, I was pleased that the tech all worked and the charging was easy, but disappointed that the peak rate was so low. I know others have made the same comment. I chose EA in spite of the high cost because I hoped to get at least 100 kW. Next time I will choose an EVgo charger at 50 kW which is less than half the price. I was also disappointed to see so many ICE vehicles occupying the spots. It would have been really annoying if I couldn't have gotten into a space at all. The Tesla owner gave me a very sheepish look when he returned knowing he shouldn't have been there. I would at least expect other EV drivers to respect the rules!
Calidave, epirali and dtgsrq like this.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 10:26 PM

You should call EA and report blocked stations, most vendors want to know as it costs them if this happens. Was there any posted signs?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJeff View Post
I've had my I-Pace since March and have driven over 5,200 miles so far, but yesterday was the first time I had the need to venture far enough that I couldn't return home without a charge. After researching my destination, I found a nearby Electrify America charging station and set up an account on my phone. I think many of you are experienced with EA chargers, but I thought I'd report my experience anyway.

I arrived at the station at 40% SOC to find 3 of the stalls occupied: 2 by ICE cars taking advantage of the parking and 1 by a Tesla that was not charging. The 4th slot put the charger on the right side of the car, but I was able to back in and get one of the cords to reach. Starting the charge was flawless and very simple with the app, though the message on the screen was that the credit card reader was not working which would be a problem if you arrived without the app. It was a 150 kW charger, but my car only reached 68 kW at its peak gradually declining to 45 kW until I stopped at 85% SOC - which was plenty to get home. I added 39.77 kWh in 45 min at $0.69/min. Pretty expensive.

Overall, I was pleased that the tech all worked and the charging was easy, but disappointed that the peak rate was so low. I know others have made the same comment. I chose EA in spite of the high cost because I hoped to get at least 100 kW. Next time I will choose an EVgo charger at 50 kW which is less than half the price. I was also disappointed to see so many ICE vehicles occupying the spots. It would have been really annoying if I couldn't have gotten into a space at all. The Tesla owner gave me a very sheepish look when he returned knowing he shouldn't have been there. I would at least expect other EV drivers to respect the rules!
I had the same experience wirh my first DCFC which was on a EA charger. 40% SOC and only 58kw of juice.
For now, need to use EvGO at .30c a kw until we can get 100k like they do in Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
You should call EA and report blocked stations, most vendors want to know as it costs them if this happens. Was there any posted signs?
Yes, the stalls were painted "EV Charging Only".
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJeff View Post
Yes, the stalls were painted "EV Charging Only".
... or what? You'll scowl at me?

For better results, they should try "$396 FINE FOR NON-EV PARKING"

Even if they have no authority to impose such a fine, the threat will be FAR more effective.
Alternatively: "NON-EV USE WILL RESULT IN TOW" (and list the name/number of Towing Co.)

I love EA. The non-Tesla owners' answer to Supercharging for now. Just wish there were more of them (and some competition to squeeze prices). For the 4-5 times I've traveled 200+ miles in a day, EA has delivered!
sciencegeek likes this.

Last edited by dtgsrq; 12-03-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page